Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Shini_otoba

Bedroll

11 posts in this topic

I find myself having to travel quite alot, I have slowly amassed an outpost network of temporary shelters to get to places I need to go.  Unfortunately everytime I want to sleep using a temporary bed I carry with me has the effect of sending me back to spawn if I die and forcing me to walk 8000 blocks to get back to base or cheating and teleporting myself back.  I know a mod in one of the FTB packs had a sleeping bag that allowed you to skip the night while not resetting your spawn point but this felt cheaty as you could just spam right click just before dusk allowing you to skip the night without having to set up camp and protect yourself.The bedroll could be crafted like a normal bed, but instead of wood you use straw, and one of the wool pieces could be leather so you have to get atleast a metal saw before you can craft it, I say this because I think early game hiding in a hole for fear of your life is really part of this mod and allowing you to just skip the night would too much of an advantage early game.Another mechanic of this would be it would need to detect a fire pit within 5ish blocks around it, and must have a solid block above it to represent heat and shelter.  This way you need to stop a couple of minutes before night time to setup camp before being able to sleep the night away and punishes you if you are tardy and are forced to setup camp in the dark.What do you think?

The Straw & Hide Bed doesn't allow you to sleep away the night, but it does set your spawn -- that's most of what you're asking for, I think.

No, he is asking for the exact opposite - he wants something that does let you skip the night but does not reset your spawn.

I like the lit firepit idea. Perhaps the bedroll skips precisely as much time as the fuel provides to keep the firepit lit, until dawn of course. Having a tamed wolf with you could provide a similar function!

Can't comment on spawn points as I only play on Hardcore, what with being a man and all.

I like the lit firepit idea. Perhaps the bedroll skips precisely as much time as the fuel provides to keep the firepit lit, until dawn of course. Having a tamed wolf with you could provide a similar function!

Can't comment on spawn points as I only play on Hardcore, what with being a man and all.

I never thought about the fuel time, it would mean farming longer burning wood types have more value.My current game I am playing suedo hardcore, meaning if I die the world I die in becomes a testing world and I move onto a new seed.  I never use the actual hardcore mode as it doesn't matter how you die, I have been killed twice by smart movement suffocation glitches which would have been unfair and annoying.

I think the underlying issue here is that skipping nights with a bed is almost-cheating-risk-free, but hiding in a hole all night is alt-tab-and-check-reddit-boring. Requiring a firepit nearby would help, as would requiring the bed be sheltered from the sky. Another alternative would be something like Somnia to simulate gametime while you sleep, which would force you to build a zombie-proof shelter.

Edit: with a quick test Somnia seems to work with TFC, including straw hide beds. I'm surprised

I think the underlying issue here is that skipping nights with a bed is almost-cheating-risk-free, but hiding in a hole all night is alt-tab-and-check-reddit-boring. Requiring a firepit nearby would help, as would requiring the bed be sheltered from the sky. Another alternative would be something like Somnia to simulate gametime while you sleep, which would force you to build a zombie-proof shelter.

Edit: with a quick test Somnia seems to work with TFC, including straw hide beds. I'm surprised

It's not cheating at all really, aslong as you have a secure shelter. in real life most people sleep during the night time and don't spend weeks on end awake blacksmithing so skipping the night I don't feel is cheating..  Somnia would be great for the safety aspect and I am definitely going to add that to my client but really the crux of the issue is the respawn unsetting.

Uh oh, we got a real man here, cover your eyes ladies! :3

The idea for having a firepit nearby is interesting.

While it is easy to collect straw while traveling, it wouldn't actually be practical to travel with if it is part of a crafted item you carry with you.  A combination of leather (groundcover) and cloth (blankets) that could be rolled seems more logical.

I like fuel for the fire controlling how long you sleep, because that would allow you to get up early if you want to.

I love the firepit idea.  That would tie in very well with the body temp if that ever got put in.