Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jacob4408

Mobs above/below ground question

10 posts in this topic

I read in a post that the devs plan to move hostile vanilla mobs (zombies, spiders, skeletons) under ground in a future release.  Is that official?  If so, will that mean that we no longer need to fear the night. 

For one, I am very happy with how things are now: at night near your home just enough hostile mobs to keep you on your toes; at night traveling you better find/build a shelter.

I think sending the undead underground would be a great idea, Caving whilst fighting the hordes would add adventure and more of a challenge to ore hunting. However I do agree with you Jacob4408 that night time should be feared and be a reason to find shelter. I do recall a post about aggresive creatures being put on the surface like bears, lions, tigers, crocodiles etc to take the place of the undead monster types if these creatures or ones like these hunted at night I think the whole thing could work well. As to if its official..... I haven't a clue

Personally, I would rather fight with armor-wearing javelin-flinging skeletons and the creepy moaning undead instead of a mundane albeit ferocious animal above ground at night.  I find that more frightening and exciting.  Plus, it would be hard to get decent variety for all the different biomes.  I wouldn't expect to see crocs in the north or large bears in the south.  Not sure about the habitat range of lions and tigers.

It is official that the "magical" hostile mobs like skeletons, zombies and creepers will eventually be moved underground. However, this won't mean that there will no longer be fear of night. There is indeed going to be more believable hostile mobs on the surface like the current wolves and bears. The code to move the mobs underground is fairly simple, we're just waiting until we have replacements for them before we implement it.

I don't quite understand how things can get more hostile at night. Will more wolves and bears spawn at night and despawn at day? Or will they be around day and night in larger numbers? What creature can attack from a distance like skeletons do? Ranged attacks freak me out the most in TFC. Finally, right now wolves are not hostile and can be made into pets. I assume we are talking about other wolves. Would not like to lose the ability to domesticate some animal like the wolf/dog.

They'll probably be like spiders, where they are more docile during the day, but as soon as the light level reaches a certain point they become extremely hostile.

... What creature can attack from a distance like skeletons do? Ranged attacks freak me out the most in TFC...

Spitting cobras? They could cause blindness. Porcupines? :P

Maybe they could have some creatures that ignore the knockback effect, to make it harder to completely avoid damage in melee combat. 

Tiny, hard-to see and hard-to-stop hostiles, such as snakes and scorpions.

Those would be plenty scary. I mean, you're walking around at night, then suddenly, you get poisoned by a scorpion hiding in the grass. Or something like that.

I'd also like spiders, but not the 2x2 giant vanilla ones, but tiny, maybe 1/8 ish of a block big or smaller, that can do small damage, but can climb walls and ceilings, and jumping spiders and spiders with really strong venom.

And rats. And crows.

I don't quite understand how things can get more hostile at night. 

Do things have to be more hostile at night?

I'm personally fine with having to be scared out of my wits because of the never-ending danger of mobs day and night.

But I suppose hostiles could de-spawn, or get sluggish or 'sleep' at night or something.

I'd like there to be dangers 24/7 but from different sources at different times

I.. actually am not sure whether I'd like very small hostile creatures. Realistic? Maybe. Dangerous - yes, they'd be. But going through the night and suddenly getting poisoned without a chance to even notice the opponent would be simply annoying. As would be aiming at those things. Not simply challenging - annoying, bothersome.

The idea of there being different dangers both during the day and the night is interesting, though. Certainly it'd make sense, there are animals which are simply dangerous, no matter when met. I don't think that'd add much to the sense of dread though - right now, most of the fear comes from the pressure of 'oh crap, night's coming, need to hide' after one ventures somewhere during the day. It's the inability to see clearly what's around and what may lurk there that's usually the problem.

Additionally, for beginning of the game and/or beginning players, there has to be time of relative peace to prepare the most basic of safe places to survive the night. Yes, they may be nervous and scared if they'll go looking for the first edibles or gather first sticks for some tools, firepit and torches knowing that at any moment some nasty thing may have a go at them but if it will and succeed, the fear very quickly may turn into disappointment.

Thus, while I am all for some potentially hostile (as in, neutral but provokable or hostile, but not immediately dangerous or very common creatures) during the day, I'd rather have the night to stay the dominant time for most hostile mobs to be active.

I understand the direction the devs want to go in and I'm not complaining.  But it wouldn't hurt my feeling if there was an add-on that reverted this change. ;)

When I encounter armored skeletons with weapons, my imagination immediately transforms them into hostile warriors from other tribes.  Gives me that feeling that I'm a hunter/gatherer competing with other clans/tribes for the resources. I find this far more believable than my friends and I are the only people in this entire world. Hmm, maybe I should make this an official suggestion.