Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
mdtexeira

More uses for sticks

13 posts in this topic

I've made a lot of comments on various other threads about this subject, so I thought, why no centralize them.

Sticks are awesome.  Besides being my favorite toy as a child, sticks are super useful...but not in TFC.  Once you get to higher tiers, tools last long enough that you rarely need sticks for anything but torches, and, unless you're doing a lot of spelunking, you probably don't use THAT many torches.

I have three full sized chests full of sticks because...well, because I'm a hoarder I guess.  I feel instinctively that they should be useful.  So, here's a place to put all our collective ideas about how to fulfill the potential of sticks.

I'll start:

Sticks burn...quickly...but they burn.  Please let us use sticks as fuel.

Sticks support.  If they can support the force of a hammer, they can be used as framework for other structures as well.  Give us more multiblock structures which use sticks.  Looms, stretchers for tanning leather, easels, framework for earthen building, etc.

Sticks hurt...when you get smacked with them.  The first blunt damage weapon is a stick.  Or a bone.  But this is about sticks.  

Sticks in the garden.  Perhaps planting tomatoes, beans, or corn could consume a stick.  After all...I can see a stick.  Where did it come from.

Any more ideas?  Soon I shall resort to tossing dozens of full stacks of sticks into the nearby river...nothing can prevent that now...but surely something else should be done.

Edit:  Just watching the new Etho LP for TFC, and he agrees....too many useless sticks.

You can make ladders and sorta use them for firepit fuel by making a new firepit each time, but yea, I agree.

For one, sicks hurt when you get smacked with them... and they hurt when someone throws them at you.

Who says we need a javelin head to throw sticks?

Also, wood arrows. simply sharpening a stick and holding the end over a fire can make a weak and feeble, but a working arrow.

sticks can also be stabbed into the ground for a quick marker.

If we could place sticks like planks, even if just vertically, it would be real nice.(yes, you can use torches, but I'd rather not wait ten minuets to get enough torches to mark my path)

sticks can be used to make a pitfall trap, by covering a hole with sticks and hiding the sticks with foliage/dirt.

I'd like to be able to craft 'covers' with sticks and leaves/dirt/grass/vines to make pitfall traps.

Sticks also happen to hurt if you step on or fall onto it's end.

having sticks as crude spikes so we don't need to have pitfalls that are 30ish blocks deep would be nice

Sticks burn...quickly...but they burn. Please let us use sticks as fuel.

Wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes I just need fire to butn for a few seconds, to make a few torches (which are basically burning sticks in both Minecraft and TFC, heh), I don't see why wooden items in general couldn't support fire. It's believable, it's not unbalancing, it's useful, it shouldn't be hard to code.

Sticks support. If they can support the force of a hammer, they can be used as framework for other structures as well. Give us more multiblock structures which use sticks. Looms, stretchers for tanning leather, easels, framework for earthen building, etc.

Here I disagree. I don't want new facilities to be added simply so sticks will find an use, especially if it'd be somewhat forced - I also dislike whole new facilities being added just to perform single, very limited function.

Sticks hurt...when you get smacked with them. The first blunt damage weapon is a stick.Or a bone. But this is about sticks.

Agreed. In generally I think that many 'regular' items should have, even tiny, combat utility. Sticks, bones, rough stones, chisels - they should deal at least some damage when used to smack a mob. Believable, fun, allows kinds of of emergency, improvised fighting.

Sticks in the garden. Perhaps planting tomatoes, beans, or corn could consume a stick. After all...I can see a stick. Where did it come from.

Sure, why not, makes sense. When planting some vegs, the game could simply require for a stick to be somewhere in the inventory and take one away upon planting. When harvested/popping out because of whatever reason, such plant could yield that one stick back, too, though it's not necessary.

For one, sicks hurt when you get smacked with them... and they hurt when someone throws them at you.Who says we need a javelin head to throw sticks?

People who actually were making them. Javelins are already kinda simplified - you need either long, straight stick of certain weight or a head for the javelin to actually soar and hit your target. If you'd just throw a random stick it wouldn't be overly effective - less of aerodynamic capability and damaging potential than in case of properly weighted one. Well, we can assume that sticks are magically fits-all-sizes-and-uses length and shape but I am still not sure about using simple sticks as thrown weapon. Rocks would do better here.

Also, wood arrows. simply sharpening a stick and holding the end over a fire can make a weak and feeble, but a working arrow.

That is correct. Fire hardening was also applied to primitive spears. I wouldn't mind some simplified, crappy damage arrows for hunting small game (one, two shots should still kill a chicken). Should still need fletching, though.

sticks can be used to make a pitfall trap, by covering a hole with sticks and hiding the sticks with foliage/dirt.I'd like to be able to craft 'covers' with sticks and leaves/dirt/grass/vines to make pitfall traps.

Why not, some sort of animal trap, perhaps.

Sticks also happen to hurt if you step on or fall onto it's end.having sticks as crude spikes so we don't need to have pitfalls that are 30ish blocks deep would be nice

I am fine with it in combination with the above. However, those will need additional coding so they will cause additional damage only if fallen on from higher than a few blocks. Stuff like cacti qualities couldn't be reused without making the whole thing silly.Rest of the ideas I am ambivalent toward.

Any more ideas?

I think this is enough. Sticks used in battle and as a fuel are the only things I was really lacking. I don't think we really need to force ourselves to find additional uses for sticks - as new features come in, just let sticks be part of them 'naturally' in them, as applicable.

The crude stick spikes could get the entity's vertical velocity to determine its damage.

How about make a code that lets it, oh, triple fall damage if you fall on it?

I would love items like punji sticks to keep mobs away from my palisade.  Maybe the ability to bundle them for use in a firepit.

I like the idea of being able to place stick in the ground as markers.

I would make such upright sticks a prerequisite for planting tomato and greenbeans -- if you don't provide a climbing surface, they grow on the ground and rot.

I somehow can never have enough sticks. Just prospecting for ore, I use SO MANY LADDERS. I tend to have too many saplings instead from punching leaves.

I somehow can never have enough sticks. Just prospecting for ore, I use SO MANY LADDERS. I tend to have too many saplings instead from punching leaves.

Yeah, I pretty much have the same problem. Just looking at the wiki page shows all the different things that sticks are used for:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Stick#Usage

• Handles
  • Firestarters
  • Levers
  • Torches
  • Signs
  • Ladders
  • Item Frames
  • Paintings
  • Bows
  • Fishing Rods
  • Rails
  • Handstone
  • Firepits

Back when sticks were used to make fences and gates, I'd also quickly run out of them just trying to make animal pens or a gate around my farm. I'm still a big fan of decorating my home with paintings and item frames, labeling everything with signs, and I like to always have at least a stack of torches on me. Fishing is a primary source of protein starting out for me as well.

Edit: Looking back on one of my really old server tour videos.. you can actually see me stealing sticks from my neighbors as I show off their builds.. solely because I keep running out.

it just really depends on how you play I guess.

I'm not patient enough for fishing, can never find the feathers for bows, and prefer stairs over ladders, and usually just explore caves rather then dig pits or anything, so I rarely need sticks

But I know lots of people who use tons of sticks. It's really just a matter of playstyle.

But I would like a way to make pitfall traps that are not 30 blocks deep

These are all really cool, ideas i hope this is implemented, i would really like the fuel thing, because using logs as the only fuel source for fire pits can sorta be hard early game, and its wasteful to have a chest of sticks with not much use.

How?

i fill dbl chest after dbl chest with sticks almost daily and thats even after making tons of torches, ladders, signs and thous frames gotta have them :). I do have a huge tree farm to make tons of coal but doesn't everyone?

Crafting tools shaft out of stick could be made like knapping