Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
munin295

slower starvation

31 posts in this topic

Currently, you can deplete your hunger bar in only a day or less and then you die in less than a minute. Even if a TFC day represents almost four real-life days, starvation within 4 real-life days doesn't seem believeable.

I suggest that when your hunger bar goes to zero, your max health starts reducing at the rate of 0.5% per in-game hour. That will cause death in about an in-game month (a little over 8 in-game days), giving you time to search for food, but you'll be increasingly vulnerable to mobs, falls, etc. Once you eat again and get your hunger bar back up, your max health recovers at the same rate (0.5% per in-game hour) as long as you keep yourself fed.

Another possibility would be, instead of a percentage decline, after your hunger bar goes to zero start depleting nutrition levels at a faster rate (using up the body's reserves) which would also reduce max health. Thus, the better your nutrition before you ran out of food, the longer you'll last, and you recover your max health by eating multiple food groups.

More interaction between hunger and nutrition would be cool, but I'm not concerned about the hunger bar depleting too fast. If anything, I think food is far too abundant in TFC. Even in the frozen north it's pretty easy to stay fed.

You're actually only supposed to take 5% of your max health as damage when you are starving. However, there was an oversight of "if the damage type is starvation, multiply by 10" line of code that was mistakenly not removed.. so it's taking half of your health instead. This has been fixed for 79. You also only take starvation damage every half hour, and regenerate 1% of that back every half hour as well.. so at 4% every half hour, it's going to take the player about 12.5 in-game hours to die of starvation, or roughly 10 minutes.

I thought health regeneration only happens when the food bar is at least 25% filled? The wiki says so! In that case, you wouldn't get health regeneration while starving.

You're actually only supposed to take 5% of your max health as damage when you are starving. However, there was an oversight of "if the damage type is starvation, multiply by 10" line of code that was mistakenly not removed.. so it's taking half of your health instead. This has been fixed for 79. You also only take starvation damage every half hour, and regenerate 1% of that back every half hour as well.. so at 4% every half hour, it's going to take the player about 12.5 in-game hours to die of starvation, or roughly 10 minutes.

It takes me about 30 sec to die of hunger not sure where you get 10 mins.

It takes me about 30 sec to die of hunger not sure where you get 10 mins.

It's supposed to take around 10 min, but a mistake in coding made it damage you much more than it should, making it kill you ridiculous fast.

This will be fixed so starving to death will take around 10 min in version 0.79

You also only take starvation damage every half hour, and regenerate 1% of that back every half hour as well.. so at 4% every half hour, it's going to take the player about 12.5 in-game hours to die of starvation, or roughly 10 minutes.

did i read the wrong?

You also only take starvation damage every half hour, and regenerate 1% of that back every half hour as well.. so at 4% every half hour, it's going to take the player about 12.5 in-game hours to die of starvation, or roughly 10 minutes.

did i read the wrong?

Yes you did, read again, and again and again until you notice the words in bold

You may be missing the fact that Build 79 isn't out yet -- we're all still playing in 78.x or less. So you're still playing the buggy version, not the fixed version.

did i read the wrong?

No, but you're reading the wrong part. You were supposed to read the part that AllenWL was kind enough to bold and italicize for you, pointing out that it's the important part. I will copy it one more time, leaving out the irrelevant information, and then try to explain it in even simpler terms.

You're actually only supposed to take 5% of your max health as damage when you are starving. However, there was an oversight of "if the damage type is starvation, multiply by 10" line of code that was mistakenly not removed.. so it's taking half of your health instead. This has been fixed for 79.

• The current latest released version is 78.17
  • If your game is up to date, you are playing 78.17
  • In 78.17, there is a bug
  • This bug is that the player takes 50% (half) of their health as damage while starving
  • When players are taking 50% damage, they die in about 30 seconds.
  • To fix this bug, we need to remove the "multiply by 10" in the code.
  • When the bug is fixed, players will only take 5% damage.
  • When players are only taking 5% damage, it takes 10 minutes to die.
  • The bug has been fixed for 79
  • 79 hasn't been released yet
  • You are not playing 79

I thought health regeneration only happens when the food bar is at least 25% filled? The wiki says so! In that case, you wouldn't get health regeneration while starving.

Derp, totally forgot about that. But still, 5% every half hour is still 10 in-game hours to reach 100%, which translates to a little over 8 minutes of real life time in a lag-free environment.

More interaction between hunger and nutrition would be cool, but I'm not concerned about the hunger bar depleting too fast. If anything, I think food is far too abundant in TFC. Even in the frozen north it's pretty easy to stay fed.

I totally agree with the "easy to stay fed" thing... Food is ridiculously abundant once you get breeding pair of animals or find a good plain with some crops to plant... I do however wish the process of feeding yourself weren't quite so busy.

I've got a little over a hundred hours into my current b78 world, and at this point, feeding myself just feels like stupid tedium. It adds nothing to the game. No difficulty, no fun, just annoyance. I love the idea of nutrition and having to feed myself, lest I be in an "impaired" state, it just needs to feel less tedious. Slower drain, or perhaps a longer bar with steeper degradation in health, or some such. Even with the 50% bug fixed, it's still just way too quick to die of hunger.

Actually, I'm fine with how it works; specially when playing on a server in a season affected area. Where you can only plant in november and hope for them to be done in April, and if you log out too much, all your food is decayed and all your seeds are gone.

What food could get a very large improvement is by adding nutrients and vitamins, no more eating the same beef and greenbeans for years without either dying of avitaminosis or excess of these nutrients given by your current eating material. It may seem harsh at first, but it's the struggle for survival what makes us move.

No, but you're reading the wrong part. You were supposed to read the part that AllenWL was kind enough to bold and italicize for you, pointing out that it's the important part. I will copy it one more time, leaving out the irrelevant information, and then try to explain it in even simpler terms.

-snip of easily comprehensible list-

This is why people like you, Kitty. You're far too kind to the stupids.

I say remove all the warning labels, and let the player gene pool sort itself out.

This is why people like you, Kitty. You're far too kind to the stupids.

I say remove all the warning labels, and let the player gene pool sort itself out.

And calling people stupid must be why people like you, and why these forums are so lively.

"Added some bad NBT warnings to tooltips to stop idiots from using spawned in meals"

-Bioxx 2014

"Added some bad NBT warnings to tooltips to stop idiots from using spawned in meals"

-Bioxx 2014

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/forum-6/announcement-1-only-help-if-you-can-be-helpful/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wil_Wheaton#Wheaton.27s_law

When you call someone stupid for their suggestion, regardless of your opinion of it, all you show is that in spite of your self-perceived intellectual superiority, you're actually far too socially crippled to be allowed to conduct yourself in a public forum of any kind.

Bioxx is free to do whatever he likes, really, and certainly say whatever he likes in a changelog.

And for reference,

Kitty said:

"However, there was an oversight of "if the damage type is starvation, multiply by 10" line of code that was mistakenly not removed.. so it's taking half of your health instead. This has been fixed for 79. You also only take starvation damage every half hour, and regenerate 1% of that back every half hour as well.. so at 4% every half hour, it's going to take the player about 12.5 in-game hours to die of starvation, or roughly 10 minutes."

She changed context from build 78 to build 79 when she said "This has been fixed for 79." The following sentence could logically refer to build 78, or 79, which is why we have semicolons. The guy wasn't stupid for choosing the wrong one.

How does this relate to what I quoted? I wasn't saying anything, I simply copied and pasted the title on the bug fix at the github.

How does this relate to what I quoted? I wasn't saying anything, I simply copied and pasted the title on the bug fix at the github.

Apologies! I thought you were implying it's cool to call people stupid because Bioxx used the word idiot in a commit.

Apologised, either way, I'm wondering how many times this has happened Bioxx actually had to do it lol.

She changed context from build 78 to build 79 when she said "This has been fixed for 79." The following sentence could logically refer to build 78, or 79, which is why we have semicolons. The guy wasn't stupid for choosing the wrong one.

that

And calling people stupid must be why people like you, and why these forums are so lively.

As much as you say that sarcastically, you're actually fairly spot-on.

This title wasn't added by me, I was happy to be a platinum miner, or whatever the 1500 post benchmark title is. That was something an admin stuck above my picture before you could edit these little tags, because I'm well known for nailing stupid posts as bloodily as possible to the thread, so that everyone can see 'abandon hope, all ye who enter without decent brain functionality' carved into its flesh.

Except that the last sentence says 4% in it, referring to the 5% that is supposed to happen, and does happen after the bug is fixed (79) minus the 1% regenerated. I also stated that you are currently (78) taking half your health as damage... so logically, if the final sentence was referring to 78, it would state 49%, and not 4%.

Edit: He also said "not sure where you get 10 mins", when I had posted "so at 4% every half hour, it's going to take the player about 12.5 in-game hours to die of starvation, or roughly 10 minutes."

I.E. 4% per half hour. 100 / 4 = 25, so you would have to take damage 25 times to die if you started at max health. 25 half hours = 12.5 hours. 12.5 hours * 1,000 ticks/hour = 12,500 ticks. At 20 ticks per second, that comes out to 625 seconds, or 10 minutes and 25 seconds.

Edit 2: It's perfectly understandable for him to choose the wrong one the first time. The nail in the coffin was when he still assumed it was referring to 78 after AllenWL had bolded and italicized the parts of the post that were used to imply that the sentence was referring to 79.

Honestly I'd like to see a longer period where you are 'starving' but not 'dying.' It takes a long time to die of starvation!

Maybe reduce movement speed, reduce damage the player deals to enemies, increase damage enemies do to the player, maybe apply a greyish filter to the player's vision as a visual indicator that you are in a poor state. This would make it extremely desirable to avoid being in this state.

The handful of times where I have died to starvation have been pretty annoying, and it's usually because I lost track of things while exploring and have low health already, and suddenly I have very little time to get back to a source of food before I die.

Just a thought.