Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Simon_science

Alcohol and Gunpowder, Barrel Comat Mechs

Should this be implimented?   18 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be implimented?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am undecided (maybe)
    • Maybe but cheange this or that...
    • Yes but only gunpowder
    • Yes but only alchohol

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Alcohol and Gunpowder, Barrel Combat Mechanics

Welcome to edition 2 of my tfc suggestions. Thanks for reading this post btw. Now i got this idea while playing on a server and having an imaginary battle whit someone. i had 6 barrels of rum and i told myself:"hey:shouldent i be able to use this?" and got the idea for:

Alcohol Battle Mechs:

so lets say i have a barrel of rum, and i want to burn down, say, a house.In normal tfc, the only way to light fings on fire in the copper age is to create a outdoor charcoal pit and hope it spreads to the house, witch is very impractical due to the sheer amount of time it would take. My idea would be do "douse" blocks and mobs in alcohol, witch would need a full barrel of it.It would be right cliking to trow the dowsing projectile, that would go only some blocks, and shift click to place the barrel down. once "douwsed", the subject can be lit on fire instantly whith a tortch. this is very usefull but would require some nerfing due to the sheer amount of rum you can create. i would suggest nerfing sugarcane growth, as it grows like weeds at the moment(not very tfc like) and slowing to player down for having a barrel in his hand, and make the trowing animation "charge up" like a bow, meaning some skill is needed to use it efficiantly in combat. it should be noted that the dousing will only get off if you bathe in water, right click animal or block whit buket of water(you can use wood buket) or will dissapear over time

Edit:throwing modes

bring able to throw the alcohol particles is two ways(using m key of course):

spread: covers a large area. mobs doused in alcohol will be lit by other mobs on fire(same whit players) causing a chain reaction of fire.

Line: move your cursor in a specific direction and it will use centrifugal energy to throw it in a line in front of you. good if your surounded.

Edit: oil

oil is flammable, like alcohol(has same mechanichs as said above), and can be found one of two ways:

1: bio oil: take a high oil substance, like olives, and grind them in the quern. once grinded you will get a oily slurry(digusting). now take a peice of woll and right click the top of the barrel to make a filtering barrel. now right click the top of the barrel whit the slurry to filter the bio oil into the barrel, giving you bio oil in your barrel

2: Natural oil:

natural oil is found in nature, and range in variety. they are rated by pure-ness, and range from clear petroleum to thick tar. thikness will make it heavier, meaning you throw less far, but will burn longer and slow down your enemies. Science it can be found in pools, thick tar is good for traps.

Edit: Molotov coctail:

Crafted whit rum bottle, cloth, and a tortch. once thrown and landed, it will randomly(with very high chance) light mobs and blocks on fire in a 5x5 radius

Gunpowder:

You can place down gunpoweder from a barrel as a block whlie right clicking(shiftclick to place). Lighiting it whit a tortch

will cause a VERY rapid fuse. once it reaches a barrel it will instantly explode.

Please show me you opinion in the comments, and stay respectfull :)

-Simon_science

You know you have a lot of spelling errors right?

(besides that, I think pouring alcohol(any alcohol) on things to make them flammable is a good idea.)

yes i know, but its mostly out of typing shortcuts in servers and me having frentch as a main language. really i spell english englitch sometimes.

thanks for you opinion! remember that you can vote on the poll

Alcohol Battle Mechs? I love battlemechs! :D

(I am extremely sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Its okay, i love a bit of humor in posts :D

Remember to express your opinion on the poll!

:)

Using placed gunpowder as a fuse was already considered when Dunk first implemented powder kegs. However, as a PvP mechanic, powder kegs and explosives are mainly used as traps. By making them trigger via redstone signal, you can trick the enemy into lighting it themselves by flicking a commonly used lever, or stepping on a pressure plate, or something similar.

You can't exactly expect your enemy to light a gunpowder trail and blow themselves up, and hiding the trail in such a way that you can light it from a distance is more an exercise in frustration trying to get the timing right and such so it explodes when the person is actually near it.

My idea was more as a stealht hijack: like setting up the keg while the guy is mining, and than making it explode in his face( :) ) also, the light isint a problem as it would fuse out faster than the player can run-jump(skipping). also, do you have any opinions about the alcohol? i would love to hear about it ;)

also, werent levers removed, as well as plates? on the other hand, putting the powder from the barrel should be implimendted for redstone to: ever saw a pirate movie when they land out the fuse made of gunpowder to the other barrels using another barrel? yeah thats what im thinking.

Nope, you can make a lever with just a stick above a single rock item, and you can make a wooden pressure plate with two plank blocks just like in vanilla.

A stealth hijack for setting up the keg would be pretty difficult to do. Placing the keg as well as the line without being noticed, and then getting far enough away to light it from a safe distance. And technically speaking, you can already do this with just a redstone wire, instead of a gunpowder one.

As for alcohol, I'm not really a big fan. While dousing something in alcohol will indeed act as an accelerant so that it will light easier, the fire wouldn't burn for long, and there is no real way to force the direction that the doused mob would travel. As for making a trail of the alcohol and lighting that, unless the end of the trail lead to something that was completely soaked and highly flammable, it wouldn't actually burn very well. Pouring booze on a block of wood might help it light on fire, but it probably isn't going to burn long enough to do any real damage. Alcohol that is highly flammable is also highly volatile, meaning that a lot of the flammable component will evaporate away before it actually burns. I also don't see the point in soaking a player in booze before lighting them either, considering it would just be quicker to light them on fire directly with a flint and steel or a fire arrow or something.

When I saw 'battle mechs' in the title, I was dashing to grab my torch and pitchfork; then I saw you used it as a contraction for 'mechanics', and my seething abject hatred of this idea simmered to mere dislike.

Please keep your phrasing of things in mind, when posting. That said, good use of text size in the OP.

Using placed gunpowder as a fuse was already considered when Dunk first implemented powder kegs. However, as a PvP mechanic, powder kegs and explosives are mainly used as traps. By making them trigger via redstone signal, you can trick the enemy into lighting it themselves by flicking a commonly used lever, or stepping on a pressure plate, or something similar.

You can't exactly expect your enemy to light a gunpowder trail and blow themselves up, and hiding the trail in such a way that you can light it from a distance is more an exercise in frustration trying to get the timing right and such so it explodes when the person is actually near it.

I'd like it if a redstone pulse can light a gunpowder trail. The gunpowder trail would last longer then 16 blocks, and be easy to get, so if it get's lit by a redstone pulse, you can simply rig a lever/pressure plate to a gunpowder trail and not have to look around for redstone, or have a 16 block limit

Alcohol Battle Mechs:

I'd rather use oil than alcohol, that'd work better

Although like Kittychanley said, it really won't be enough to light it on fire, especially since the alcohol has to burn before the block can actually catch on fire.

So actually, alcohol can prevent a block from lighting on fire. If you don't believe me, try soaking a tissue in alcohol and lighting it on fire. The tissue will not burn until all the alcohol is gone. And unless it's enough alchohol to burn for a really long time, it won't really catch on fire. Though the blocks that aren't soaked that are touching the fire might burn.

Oil would be better, I think.

Although I would like a method to set things on fire....

I'd rather that the firestarter and flint & steel can work like vanilla flint & steel and light things on fire.

But pit kilns are a good way to start fires that does not take as much time, resources or hoping as a charcoal pit.

I'd rather that the firestarter and flint & steel can work like vanilla flint & steel and light things on fire.

The flint and steel already does work like it's vanilla counterpart in that it can light blocks on fire.

I'd like it if a redstone pulse can light a gunpowder trail. The gunpowder trail would last longer then 16 blocks, and be easy to get, so if it get's lit by a redstone pulse, you can simply rig a lever/pressure plate to a gunpowder trail and not have to look around for redstone, or have a 16 block limitI'd rather use oil than alcohol, that'd work betterAlthough like Kittychanley said, it really won't be enough to light it on fire, especially since the alcohol has to burn before the block can actually catch on fire.So actually, alcohol can prevent a block from lighting on fire. If you don't believe me, try soaking a tissue in alcohol and lighting it on fire. The tissue will not burn until all the alcohol is gone. And unless it's enough alchohol to burn for a really long time, it won't really catch on fire. Though the blocks that aren't soaked that are touching the fire might burn.Oil would be better, I think.Although I would like a method to set things on fire....I'd rather that the firestarter and flint & steel can work like vanilla flint & steel and light things on fire.But pit kilns are a good way to start fires that does not take as much time, resources or hoping as a charcoal pit.

Oil would potentially be a good idea. Extracting it from a quern and... Editing post tommorow to impliment your idea!

i just edited the post to include oil: that was a very good idea :)

on another note:

Nope, you can make a lever with just a stick above a single rock item, and you can make a wooden pressure plate with two plank blocks just like in vanilla.

A stealth hijack for setting up the keg would be pretty difficult to do. Placing the keg as well as the line without being noticed, and then getting far enough away to light it from a safe distance. And technically speaking, you can already do this with just a redstone wire, instead of a gunpowder one.

As for alcohol, I'm not really a big fan. While dousing something in alcohol will indeed act as an accelerant so that it will light easier, the fire wouldn't burn for long, and there is no real way to force the direction that the doused mob would travel. As for making a trail of the alcohol and lighting that, unless the end of the trail lead to something that was completely soaked and highly flammable, it wouldn't actually burn very well. Pouring booze on a block of wood might help it light on fire, but it probably isn't going to burn long enough to do any real damage. Alcohol that is highly flammable is also highly volatile, meaning that a lot of the flammable component will evaporate away before it actually burns. I also don't see the point in soaking a player in booze before lighting them either, considering it would just be quicker to light them on fire directly with a flint and steel or a fire arrow or something.

the point was to use fire as a weapon before the steel age and not as fire arrows: it has been used other ways. as for the alcohol not burning poin i did just add oil, and planning to suggjest molotov coctail(probably did that already). also, how are you going to light that arrow on fire? wood dosent just *BWOSH* like that. why not putting a little alcohol or oli on it ;). i also dont see how the flint and steel would work irl, but aigain :"TFC is actually not trying to achieve realism. The goal is believability, while keeping in mind that not only is this a game, but also a mod for Minecraft."

i was just thinking fire was underused in the earlyer stages of gameplay like copper and bronze age, and really all the other ages.

acctualy, fire is underused

(#fireisunderrated) 

Hey, what if gunpowder, if lit, also lights blocks around it on fire?

Possibly, even thou that sounds a little over powerd, it could give use to the gunpowder as a block.

Nope, such substances usually burn way too fast to translate enough heat. Unless you want thatch to light that way, but I'm guessing that's quite a bit of work designing the system that takes note of a block flammability and heat source parameters for devs to do that kind of stuff. Ofc, we never know for fact.