Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pixie

Geography

12 posts in this topic

Latitude

Ambient Temperature calculations are such that the average temperature at a given latitude will be similar to the same latitude in degrees north of the equator in a continental (ie non-coastal) location of North America. This results in world generation similar to that of the real world, with deserts near the equator, and arctic near the poles.

So, this is the wiki entry for latitude, and I'm trying to wrap my head around co-ordinates and how they effect the geography.

My home is at (42,144,-8525), and thought that by heading south I'd reach sunnier climes, how ever after 4000 blocks in a boat, I still had yet to hit a landmass.

After returning home, I  sailed around my home island and saw, barely, some leaves. Following this I found another, larger, landmass. 

So, my questions are:

1) Which way to the equator?

2) Are the landmasses supposed to be a pangaea?

1) A Z coordinate of 0 is the equator, you have another 4,000+ blocks to go.

2) Here's an example of a pre-generated map going from north pole (-30,000 Z) to the south pole (30,000 Z)

As reference: a pregenerated map (approx 30000 x 44000) from the crococraft server (map will go live this weekend). You can easily see why the oceans feel so huge:

For an interactive google maps like experience: http://www.crococraft.com/index.php/server-map

Posted Image

*gulp*

So much for a winter holiday.

Thanks Kitty

Why are the islands so broken and jagged?  That has been my one biggest issue so far, it is impossible to find a place that is remotely flat to build a base, also way too much water.

Keep in mind the scale of that image. Every pixel on it is around 30x30 blocks, or a 2x2 chunk area.

In other words, this little area is is 900 by 900 blocks.

Posted Image

I don't know about you, but I don't do very many builds that are that huge.

Edit: Here's that same island blown up to scale so that 1 pixel equals one block. I've also overlaid a rough chunk (16x16 block) grid. If you use a minimap with this feature, it's a bit easier to compare for reference.

Posted Image

Keep in mind the scale of that image. Every pixel on it is around 30x30 blocks, or a 2x2 chunk area.

In other words, this little area is is 900 by 900 blocks.

Posted Image

I don't know about you, but I don't do very many builds that are that huge.

Edit: Here's that same island blown up to scale so that 1 pixel equals one block. I've also overlaid a rough chunk (16x16 block) grid. If you use a minimap with this feature, it's a bit easier to compare for reference.

I still feel that on the micro level you cannot travel more then a few blocks without yet another hill.  Early game it is a real pain to find a suitable place to build anything more then a shack without having to do some serious digging.  

Below is the flattest area I have been able to find after an ingame week of traveling.  Does the amount of hills and overall terrain roughness decrease or increase the further you go from the equator?

Posted Image

Below is the flattest area I have been able to find after an ingame week of traveling.  Does the amount of hills and overall terrain roughness decrease or increase the further you go from the equator?

It does not. However, the biome that you are located in does indeed determine the shape of the terrain. If you were to say, find a plains biome you would see a lot flatter terrain than if you are wandering around in a rolling hills or mountain biome.

You also have to keep in mind that this is Minecraft, which uses procedural generation. Only so much can be done in the code to determine terrain shape, before Mojang's code takes over.

And I don't know about you, but in my experience even in vanilla Minecraft you usually have to do quite a bit of terraforming before being able to find a flat area to build on. I end up usually just building with the shape of the terrain and doing as little flattening out as possible. In general, this results in the build looking a lot better and more natural, in my opinion.

I still feel that on the micro level you cannot travel more then a few blocks without yet another hill.  Early game it is a real pain to find a suitable place to build anything more then a shack without having to do some serious digging.  

Posted Image

Tfc isn't meant to be easy, Your meant to work for everything. If that means to camp in a shack for a few days so be it. i lived in a rock for a week till i had the mats to move 3k blocks to a nice place to live and made many shovels to terraform the land to my liking.

If I may, I'd like to make an observation from the massive map shown earlier. What is noticeable are the bands of continents going roughly east-west with huge oceans in between. I have found this pattern in many other seeds of my own. That suggests terrain generation is not quite random, far from it. What controls the alternating bands of oceans and continents?

Posted Image

What is that purple flower in the picture? I've never seen one

Also, I've had pretty good luck with finding relatively flat land on plains to make a settlement (usually by a lake). Obviously terraforming becomes required as your settlement grows to include larger structures, but that doesn't seem unreasonable to me

What is that purple flower in the picture? I've never seen one

Also, I've had pretty good luck with finding relatively flat land on plains to make a settlement (usually by a lake). Obviously terraforming becomes required as your settlement grows to include larger structures, but that doesn't seem unreasonable to me

The purple flower is from the addon Extrafirma:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4581-164789-extrafirma-addon-v104/

If I may, I'd like to make an observation from the massive map shown earlier. What is noticeable are the bands of continents going roughly east-west with huge oceans in between. I have found this pattern in many other seeds of my own. That suggests terrain generation is not quite random, far from it. What controls the alternating bands of oceans and continents?

Nobody ever said terrain generation was random... it is procedural, which is an inherently different concept (even if the results often look similar).

A truly random result occurs in the absence of any and all rules. A procedural result is occurs through a set of rules and conditions that describe the expected result. It will be a different result each time, but always within the same bounds. For example, the sea level is always at y=63 in vanilla Minecraft, and something like y=140 in TFC (i haven't checked in detail lately). There is no random variation there because sea level is a fixed rule that the terrain generator must obey.

I'm not sure what causes continents to spawn so oddly strung out, but then again, there's a reason Mojang reworked the terrain generator in 1.7 :P It was a much needed overhaul. And Bioxx already showed that some of his work on B79, which is aimed at 1.7, will involve a reworked world generation features on TFC's side as well.