Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
protestthehero

Plans

14 posts in this topic

Are the plans for the anvils going to be making a come back in anyway i kinda like the idea of having to have plans to make things(i was plying back when they were in the mod i might be a bit naive here idk).

No. They were removed because they really weren't believable, and didn't fit into the mod. To put it this way, if you can't make your 5th pickaxe without looking at a drawing of a pickaxe.. you probably shouldn't be dealing with hot metal. ;)

No. They were removed because they really weren't believable, and didn't fit into the mod. To put it this way, if you can't make your 5th pickaxe without looking at a drawing of a pickaxe.. you probably shouldn't be dealing with hot metal. ;)

What about making them once to unlock a schematic within an anvil interface then?

What about making them once to unlock a schematic within an anvil interface then?

I quite like this, actually. Very believable - you just need to make one, and then the technique stays with you.

I agree, I would prefer such a system.

If you have ever tried to forge anything, you will know how much work goes into it.

Which makes me think that an even better system could be introduced. Something along the lines of having to discover the last 2-3 steps of a forging sequence. when you pick a plan for the first time, you would have to work around and maybe guess what to do.

I'm not sure what type of abstract game you could include to bring that process across.

I do like the idea of the learn-for-life method, but it does fall back on reliance on out-of-game knowledge. As it stands now, you can see everything you can do with a piece of metal by looking at the plans. It complicates things when you have to know them before you start playing.

This, and

This made me think of something.

If I'm making a pickaxe in the anvil for the first time....

I still made dozens of pickaxes in with a mold, and made dozens of the pickax molds themselves.

So even if it's the first pick I make in the anvil, I should have seen and made plenty of pickaxes to know the schematics of one

I do like the idea of the learn-for-life method, but it does fall back on reliance on out-of-game knowledge. As it stands now, you can see everything you can do with a piece of metal by looking at the plans. It complicates things when you have to know them before you start playing.

That's a really good point -- pausing the game to look up something on the wiki isn't a challenge.  It breaks immersion.  Honestly, I'd like to see you guys go farther in this direction, with the clay and leather interfaces.  Maybe just have a list of pictures that you need to copy over or something.  (...preferably something a bit more inspired than my idea...)

I'd like the clay molds, leather, and stone knapping to have a bit more freedom.

Not just being able to flip the shape, but I think you should be able to make some mistakes(say, 'cut out' a bit too much, or forget to remove a block or something), and you'll still get results, but with decreased durability or something

I'd like the clay molds, leather, and stone knapping to have a bit more freedom.

Not just being able to flip the shape, but I think you should be able to make some mistakes(say, 'cut out' a bit too much, or forget to remove a block or something), and you'll still get results, but with decreased durability or something

That's a loooot of code for something that makes a relatively low impact. If it was added, it'll be a finishing touch tacked on way the hell at the end.

That's a loooot of code for something that makes a relatively low impact. If it was added, it'll be a finishing touch tacked on way the hell at the end.

Sounds like a rewrite of the original code :/ it wouldn't be quick, and it would be ugly.

Sounds like a rewrite of the original code :/ it wouldn't be quick, and it would be ugly.

And it would also be HORRIBLY forced. Not organic at all.