Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
legitairsoft123

Industrial age.

9 posts in this topic

I love the way this mod has different levels of progression. Starting from stone obviously and then leading to steel and eventually blue/red steel. But when you hit that ending point in TFC, it gets kind of sad, because you realize you've reached the end of this amazing journey that is terrafirmacraft. So, I propose something after you get steel, something deeper. Industrial age. The big boom, if you will. Now I'm aware that this would be a HUGE thing to do and is something for the far far far future of terrafirmacraft. You would have to work through the bugs and simply add the content, but I think that would be absolutely unbelievable if you could achieve something like machines or similar. I know some people say, "Just go play FTB or Tekkit", but both those things have a hint (or extreme amounts)  of unreality that TFC doesn't carry. I think that if someone took the time into doing something similar to an Industrial age, it would give more life and a more endless feel to terrafirmacraft.

TFC is a massive enough mod as it is. If any industrial age was every to be added, it would likely be through an addon that somebody else has written, or through combination with other mods. For example, Bioxx has said in the past that instead of adding railroads and trains and such to TFC, he would rather add compatibility with Railcraft. If another mod already does something well, it makes a lot more sense to just make that mod compatible with TFC, instead of trying to duplicate that mod within TFC's code.

TFC isn't meant to be the end-all be-all mod that isn't compatible with anything, we like to play nice with others. :)

Well, I did try to make such a mod. But I stopped when I heard Dunk (or Bioxx, don't know which) is planning to add steam power relatively soon. There are even pipes in the game right now. Even though they work only with liquids.

The problem I see with the argument of creating compatibility instead of implementing new things is that there is no vanilla mod that would be proper emulation of industrial age in such a way that fits with TFC. Most industrial mods are either high-level tech or have mechanics that don't make much sense, like ore doubling or using their power for practically anything from milling to heating to computation. Something I find highly non-belivable.

That's kind of like what I said with the reason I don't play FTB instead. I think something more similar to "Better than wolves" would be a better approach. Jetpacks and infusion crafting doesn't seem like a terrafirmacraft thing.

I personally wonder if progressing to the Industrial age is specifically necessary as I have noticed a specific lack of Iron Age tech beyond a few minor things here and there. Iron age man had quite a wide variety of things at his disposal such as water wheel driven machines, wind driven grain mills and much more. I am off to collect a decent list to add here but I think that the individual ages could have their tech fleshed out a bit more before having to jump forward in time at all.

I personally wonder if progressing to the Industrial age is specifically necessary as I have noticed a specific lack of Iron Age tech beyond a few minor things here and there. Iron age man had quite a wide variety of things at his disposal such as water wheel driven machines, wind driven grain mills and much more. I am off to collect a decent list to add here but I think that the individual ages could have their tech fleshed out a bit more before having to jump forward in time at all.

This is a thing that I think people would enjoy more than an industrial age. I too agree that other tech mods don't completely fit into TFC, because they're too aimed to automation, resource duplication and powerful laser weapons. What I really like of TFC is that all of this doesn't exist. You'll never find yourself sitting and looking at your big automated tree farm or your massive sword production. These are the aspects of the game that make you want to keep playing it. You feel like you could be in danger again if you didn't try to manually craft what you need. 

Another thing is that I really like the bloomery and blast furnace concepts, because they were historically used and they're rather simple to understand and to use. Same for leather working. The game expanded that by adding all the small process to transform a raw hide into a tanned leather. I find that very funny too. This is another thing I like. TFC doesn't just add a block that transforms raw iron to ingots or hide to leather, but it kinda says "Come here and let me explain you how it used to work" and makes you go through the entire process, which is cool. 

Basically this is why I agree that if there would ever be something industrial, the iron age tech would fit into the mod so much more than more advanced tech or tech mods. And I also imagine that iron age tech did indeed add a bit of automation, but not so much to make you feel useless in that world you're playing. I guess that automation even allowed people to do new things that they couldn't do before.

A few mod packs are starting to appear that add some more technical progression towards the industrial age. However finding bronze and iron age mods that add stone grinding mills like the water wheel and windmill a very few and far between, and all the ones I have tried do not work at all with TFC.

Curious if you've tried Resonant induction yet.

Starting to think a thread or subreddit to share info and help for those of us making TFC based modpacks would be helpful.

Curious if you've tried Resonant induction yet.Starting to think a thread or subreddit to share info and help for those of us making TFC based modpacks would be helpful.

OH that looks very cool B)

I will definitely give it a try, thanks for the suggestion. :D

EDIT: Unfortunately the mechanical and archaic version do not seem to be available for 1.7.10 :(