Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RiKShaw

Coolgardie Safes

21 posts in this topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe

[P] = Wooden Plank
= Iron Sheet/Ingot

[W] = Wool Cloth

Recipe:
[P ][ I][ P]
[W][  ][W]
[P ][P][P]

Look:

Would be 1x1x2 blocks high. A wooden base block with cloth up the sides of the second block with space to have a small grey container on top.

Interface:

A 3x3 grid for food items. Also has an extra slot at the top which takes buckets of water that fills up a bar to the right of the grid, representing the amount of water in the top and therefore how long the effect will continue

Effect:
Slows food degradation by a certain amount, scaling off of free air space similar to fireplaces (to simulate the wind passing through the hessian cloth)

Notes: This here presents a fridge thats rudimentary and practical at the same time. Because of the iron ingot at the top this means the player would need to reach the iron age (or get a lucky zombie drop) before they could make one but I feel thats balanced. With 9 slots you can easily store all 5 food groups and up to 4 other objects that the player chooses.

Could technically be used to cool metal.

I like it. As far as I understood, some better food preservation and maybe primitive refrigeration is a planned addition for B79 anyway.

Notes: I personally hate the new food mechanic. I want my larder full and ready at all times. However, I understand the realism behind it, I just really really hate not being able to harvest my tree's because I already have 320 ounces of apple.

This sentence confuses me. What is it about having 320 ounces of apples that makes you not be able to harvest your tree? You do know that you can combine food pieces to take up less inventory space right? 320 ounces would only take up two slots in your inventory.. just two 160 oz apples.

How is this any different from the old mechanic? Considering you eat at max 5 oz at a time, you can consider those 320 ounces as the same as 64 of the old apples, so the only difference I see is that they take up one more inventory slot.

If anything, you're harvesting apples more often with the new system, because those apples sitting in your larder are slowly rotting away and you have to actually replace them. In the old system, the only time that you would have to refill your apple stash is if you ate them all.

This sentence confuses me. What is it about having 320 ounces of apples that makes you not be able to harvest your tree? You do know that you can combine food pieces to take up less inventory space right? 320 ounces would only take up two slots in your inventory.. just two 160 oz apples.

How is this any different from the old mechanic? Considering you eat at max 5 oz at a time, you can consider those 320 ounces as the same as 64 of the old apples, so the only difference I see is that they take up one more inventory slot.

If anything, you're harvesting apples more often with the new system, because those apples sitting in your larder are slowly rotting away and you have to actually replace them. In the old system, the only time that you would have to refill your apple stash is if you ate them all.

I can't speak for him, but I would say something similar; it would be because there's no realistic way you're going to keep 3 stacks of apples in play before 1 rots away, and more likely 2.

Food storage is basically non-existent. I can't store any kind of food whatsoever for longer than it'll take me to eat the current 1.25 ceramic jars in my inventory (1 near full stack of each type). I mostly blame the cumulative decay calculation. I think it should be modified to be linear.

That's just my opinion I really shouldn't have said it. You see, I've got a storehouse storing every single rock and piece of cobble I've ever mined, I just like to hoard in MC and I can't horde food anymore.

That's just my opinion I really shouldn't have said it. You see, I've got a storehouse storing every single rock and piece of cobble I've ever mined, I just like to hoard in MC and I can't horde food anymore.

You wouldn't have been able to hoard food anymore in the old version either. You'd just have a double chest full of stacks of apples, instead of 320 ounces. The rate at which fruit trees produce fruit really hasn't changed at all.

I can't speak for him, but I would say something similar; it would be because there's no realistic way you're going to keep 3 stacks of apples in play before 1 rots away, and more likely 2.

Food storage is basically non-existent. I can't store any kind of food whatsoever for longer than it'll take me to eat the current 1.25 ceramic jars in my inventory (1 near full stack of each type). I mostly blame the cumulative decay calculation. I think it should be modified to be linear.

You can always turn off or decrease the decay values in the configuration if you don't like them. While it isn't possible to have a perfectly linear decay, you can get pretty close by modifying the FoodDecayRate.

The other option is to simply accept the fact that food decay is a fact of life, and that you're going to lose some of your harvest. If you are swimming in apples, is it really that bad if you lose a few before you finish eating them all? If you ever finish eating them all since you'll probably get to harvest more before you even finish the first harvest.

While food storage is still limited (more is coming, we promise) you can still take preventative measures. Salt your meat while it is raw, then cook it. Store all of your food in vessels, and then store those vessels in completely dark areas. If you're near a mountain, temperature decreases as altitude increases, so you can store your food up there to make it decay even slower. Visit your food stores every day or so and trim off the decay. I usually let my food get as bad as 10% before I cut anything off of it. Once I find out how long it takes for my food on average to hit 10%, I stop checking my food other than that often.

If you're in an area that is cold enough for it to freeze during the winter, that dark little hole where you are storing your food in a vessel is essentially already a freezer, and a lot of your food is going to barely decay at all throughout the entire winter.

You can always turn off or decrease the decay values in the configuration if you don't like them. While it isn't possible to have a perfectly linear decay, you can get pretty close by modifying the FoodDecayRate.

The other option is to simply accept the fact that food decay is a fact of life, and that you're going to lose some of your harvest. If you are swimming in apples, is it really that bad if you lose a few before you finish eating them all? If you ever finish eating them all since you'll probably get to harvest more before you even finish the first harvest.

While food storage is still limited (more is coming, we promise) you can still take preventative measures. Salt your meat while it is raw, then cook it. Store all of your food in vessels, and then store those vessels in completely dark areas. If you're near a mountain, temperature decreases as altitude increases, so you can store your food up there to make it decay even slower. Visit your food stores every day or so and trim off the decay. I usually let my food get as bad as 10% before I cut anything off of it. Once I find out how long it takes for my food on average to hit 10%, I stop checking my food other than that often.

If you're in an area that is cold enough for it to freeze during the winter, that dark little hole where you are storing your food in a vessel is essentially already a freezer, and a lot of your food is going to barely decay at all throughout the entire winter.

You misunderstand me- I love the decay. It was a terrific idea. It's just not quite up to snuff yet. Needs some major fine tuning.

For the super-perishables, it's good. For the not-so-perishables, it's pretty far from good.

I, for example, can leave apples, oranges, and bananas on my counter for quite a long time before they're no longer viable.

EDIT: I have of course moved my food storage to the coolest, darkest area possible.. Another dynamic that I love. The decay rates for grains and fruits still remain a bit harsh.

I'm also hesitant to mess with the food decay, because I think it's just about perfect for the really perishable items like meat/eggs. Those things shouldn't last without preservation.

I, for example, can leave apples, oranges, and bananas on my counter for quite a long time before they're no longer viable.

EDIT: I have of course moved my food storage to the coolest, darkest area possible.. Another dynamic that I love. The decay rates for grains and fruits still remain a bit harsh.

I'm also hesitant to mess with the food decay, because I think it's just about perfect for the really perishable items like meat/eggs. Those things shouldn't last without preservation.

Really? Because I usually have to turn my bananas into bread only a few days after they are ripe. I can go to the grocery store on Sunday.. and the fruit is maybe still edible by Saturday.

Raw eggs are actually the slowest decaying item in the game. Because real farm fresh eggs (Not the power-washed ones you get in US stores) can last a few months just buried in wet sand.

Really? Because I usually have to turn my bananas into bread only a few days after they are ripe. I can go to the grocery store on Sunday.. and the fruit is maybe still edible by Saturday.

Raw eggs are actually the slowest decaying item in the game. Because real farm fresh eggs (Not the power-washed ones you get in US stores) can last a few months just buried in wet sand.

LOL- I'll take your word on the eggs. I know they get pretty rancid if left out unrefrigerated, and pretty quickly.

My bananas typically last around a month before I'm not so keen on eating them. However, I do usually get them slightly pre-ripe (but I don't mind eating them that way, or once they've significantly browned). They don't rot away, they just get too mushy to want to eat anymore eventually.

I'm sure my climate (pacific northwest) has a lot to do with that. I probably wouldn't bet on them lasting as long at my father's house in the midwest.

LOL- I'll take your word on the eggs. I know they get pretty rancid if left out unrefrigerated, and pretty quickly.

That's because you probably live in the US. The US actually powerwashes their eggs, removing the natural protective coating. In the majority of the rest of the world, you don't refrigerate eggs.

That's because you probably live in the US. The US actually powerwashes their eggs, removing the natural protective coating. In the majority of the rest of the world, you don't refrigerate eggs.

Can confirm. Eggs on the counter last about 3 - 4 weeks :)

What, you mean they're not naturally pearly white? ;)

I jest, I lived in the midwest for a while, and I did have chickens. Though they never laid eggs (that I found... dogs could have been snatching them or something) :(

Urban chicken coops are rising in popularity in the U.S. Many Homeowners Associations and towns are relaxing rules on their use. About 90% of our eggs are freshly laid - we do supplement from the store from time to time. Unprocessed eggs have a very long shelf life.

If your chickens weren't laying, there are a number of things that could be wrong. Snakes and rats will take them. Chickens stop laying when they get older. They might not have a good kind of feed, or bad water. They could be sick or stressed. The most likely answer is that somebody sold you a flock of roosters.

I'm grateful for the traffic keeping the thread at the top but... sorta off topic.Is a 3x3 grid enough/too much?Does the recipe sound cool/good/stupid?

My bananas typically last around a month before I'm not so keen on eating them. However, I do usually get them slightly pre-ripe (but I don't mind eating them that way, or once they've significantly browned). They don't rot away, they just get too mushy to want to eat anymore eventually.

I'm sure my climate (pacific northwest) has a lot to do with that. I probably wouldn't bet on them lasting as long at my father's house in the midwest.

(BTW) Bananas are shipped unripe, and then artificially exposed to the plant hormone which causes fruit to ripen inl, so how we eat bananas in most developed countries is differentfrom how it would be if we grew them. But yea you are right climate probably has to do with when you eat them, as well as how okay you are with them being brown (I'll eat them pretty brown).

Apples should take a substantially long time to go bad, they were popular in the 1800 in america because of their hardiness, etc. It is only modern varieties which tend to bruise & rot faster.

Actually I think apples were popular because they are really easy to cultivate and grow, they have been grown in Europe and Asia for thousands of years. As for older varieties being more hearty, it should be noted that even as far back as the 1300s the phrase "One bad apple spoils the bunch." was in use, which, while usually applied to people, does come from the fact that one bruised apple will release a large amount of ethylene which causes nearby fruit to ripen and rot quickly. The fact that apples today bruise and rot quickly is because machines are used to harvest them and aren't as gentle on the fruit as hand picking. You have the same problem with citrus, oranges harvested by machine have to be processed quickly or they will rot, yet I have hand picked plenty for shipping to relatives in New Jersey from my home in Florida, and never had problems with rotten fruit on arrival. 

As for the original topic, I like the idea of some form of stone-age fridge to help prevent/reduce spoilage.

Well, it wouldn't be stone age. In fact unless you got an ingot from a zombie it'd be iron age.

I don't think there's need for a refigarator, no matter how basic.

Almost all foods can be preserved by drying and/or  burying in frozen or warm salty ground.

I think it would make more sense to construct a drying rack, and some recipes to compress fruit and vegetables into those disk shaped cakes (I forgot the name, I do recall people using them to store berries through the winter in ancient times)

But the moment you try to do that you end up blowing the whole system out of proportion. Now you've got 50 different ways to help stop decay.With this is simple.

But the moment you try to do that you end up blowing the whole system out of proportion. Now you've got 50 different ways to help stop decay.With this is simple.

We're already planning a bunch of different ways to stop decay. Drying, smoking, pickling, etc are all possibilities to be added to the game.