Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EternalUndeath

More stable straw

37 posts in this topic

I hope that the food will be along the lines of grain, a crop like alfalfa or pasture space.  Straw is used more for animal bedding than food, as it's the byproduct of production and doesn't have much nutritional value.

My grandfather grew up on a dairy farm before becoming an engineer, and when he visited a few weeks ago, I took the time to talk to him about how animals are raised, to get an idea of what sorts of feed animals would need. Hay makes up the largest proportion of most animal diets, although they really enjoy grains. However, if you fed the animals too many grains during the winter, the gut bacteria will change and it will have trouble grazing on the grass in the spring.

Animals will require food to live. The reason for this is to limit how many animals you can support. Different animals will require different types of feed. You will be able to stockpile feed for the animals to eat as they please. When a chunk reloads after being unloaded for a long time, animals will not die immediately, but will have to consume a quantity of food relative to span of time they were unloaded with in a certain amount of time of reloading.

This sounds very appealing. Is that aimed at B79 or will it be a "future feature"?

This sounds very appealing. Is that aimed at B79 or will it be a "future feature"?

The difference between those is usually whether I'm pretty sure I know how to implement it (which I am). If I can find the time, it'll be for b79.

The difference between those is usually whether I'm pretty sure I know how to implement it (which I am). If I can find the time, it'll be for b79.

#Hype

To come the time when logging out would not only make all food in your storage disappear, but also all your animal die of starvation. 

Ostensibly, if you provided a large enough grazing area, a certain number animals should be able to support themselves. Extra feeding would be required to house more animals in a smaller pen than would usually be sustainable.

Ostensibly, if you provided a large enough grazing area, a certain number animals should be able to support themselves. Extra feeding would be required to house more animals in a smaller pen than would usually be sustainable.

Grass growth does not tick in unloaded chunks. Animal hunger does, however.

You then have to take time sitting in your pen literally waiting for the grass in your pen to regrow enough for you to log out/leave on a mining trip.

Grass growth does not tick in unloaded chunks. Animal hunger does, however.

You then have to take time sitting in your pen literally waiting for the grass in your pen to regrow enough for you to log out/leave on a mining trip.

The exact same problem exists with tree re-growth. You have to sit around in a forest you logged waiting for saplings to generate or build in the forest of the wood type you want. Players who want to build on the plains or use many different log types are left high and dry. It's sad, but it's also off-topic. I just hate it and wish that there was a good fix added.

The exact same problem exists with tree re-growth. You have to sit around in a forest you logged waiting for saplings to generate or build in the forest of the wood type you want. Players who want to build on the plains or use many different log types are left high and dry. It's sad, but it's also off-topic. I just hate it and wish that there was a good fix added.

A key point to keep in mind: You only have to be there for the random ticking part of the sapling growth. Saplings have different timers on them for how long before they start the random ticking (average of 10 in game days). That timer is just based off of the in-game clock, and the chunks do NOT have to be loaded for that part of the growth to happen. So you can actually plant your sapling farm, then go wander about and do your stuff until the timer is up, and then you can come back and wait for the random ticks to happen, which is usually pretty quick considering I often have a whole bunch of the stupid things popping up in my face as soon as the first one grows and I start chopping everything down.

A key point to keep in mind: You only have to be there for the random ticking part of the sapling growth. Saplings have different timers on them for how long before they start the random ticking (average of 10 in game days). That timer is just based off of the in-game clock, and the chunks do NOT have to be loaded for that part of the growth to happen. So you can actually plant your sapling farm, then go wander about and do your stuff until the timer is up, and then you can come back and wait for the random ticks to happen, which is usually pretty quick considering I often have a whole bunch of the stupid things popping up in my face as soon as the first one grows and I start chopping everything down.

Not referring to sapling farms where you place and wait. I mean the generation of fresh saplings based on grass blocks ticking in loaded chunks that you mentioned will work in B79

Probably best to take this one elsewhere as it has little to do with the OP.

My grandfather grew up on a dairy farm before becoming an engineer, and when he visited a few weeks ago, I took the time to talk to him about how animals are raised, to get an idea of what sorts of feed animals would need. Hay makes up the largest proportion of most animal diets, although they really enjoy grains. However, if you fed the animals too many grains during the winter, the gut bacteria will change and it will have trouble grazing on the grass in the spring.

and thats how we got e-coli O157:H7, feeding cows corn.

Also, the animal's hunger should effect it's productivity.

So a hungry chickens will give less eggs, hungry sheep gives less eggs wool(woopsies.....), hungry cows give less milk, and hungry pregnant animals should give less young, or have a chance to not give birth at all. Really agree with this

Breeding animals should be automatic, and not be just 'shove grain down the animal's throats.'

Instead, animals should breed on their own when full and healthy. Strongly disagree, even in old times procreation on farms was not left to chance. Animals were bred on purpose and with an intention.

What if we could have some kind of code marker that would identify an animal as domestic and as a domestic animal it would then have the hunger bar. (Maybe the change would be related to the player interaction like the first time you feed an animal.)

It should also be impossible to harvest any kind of animal product with out feeding then and making then domesticated not counting killing for meat.

I like the idea of having Hay blocks behave like charcoal blocks ( The same way as when you use a shovel and 1/8 of the block is shaved off) so an animal would eat 1/8 of a hay block.

Now animals should always prefer to eat green grass and only eat hay if no grass is available.

One way to prevent the player from just leaving a bunch of hay on the field and not having to ever feed the animals again would be to having hay stacks have an expiration date of one year.