Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EternalUndeath

More stable straw

37 posts in this topic

So, unless this was taken out recently, farm animals eat grass to heal, yeah?Well, if you want to keep them in a wooden structure (like, for example, a stable or a barn), you're SOL, friend. Plus... just keeping animals in a field just feels so... out of it. I mean yeah, I can see leaving them out to pasture - but having them just unsheltered, chilling in the rain? Wouldn't make for terribly healthy animals, I wager. You could ALSO just erect a structure (heh, erect...) with a grass floor, but what kind of bloody cop-out is that.

So I say, make straw place-able on solid blocks, similar what you see when making a pit kiln. It would consume 2 straw per placement, and be 1/8th of a block high. Hungry farm animals could 'eat' a block of it, removing it the same way they change grass to dirt, in order to heal as if they had just eaten grass. Also, these blocks should have a random event whenever a passive mob walks over it (kinda how suspended grass falls if an entity walks on it), with a VERY low chance, turning it into a 'dirty' straw block. These cannot be eaten, and having one within 3 blocks would decrease the rate at which an animal attempts to eat on a logarhithmic scale (so 2 blocks would lower the rate to, say, 1/4 normal; but 12 blocks nearby would only lower it to 1/16th the norm, as opposed to 1/4096th which would be the linear progression). This would necessitate you going in and 'mucking out the stalls' as it were, replacing your livestock's quarters with fresh straw to keep them healthy.

Now, I've heard Dunk talking about animals having a hunger bar at some point (and by 'at some point', I mean 'over half a year ago on the forums here'), and I feel like this would be a great way to assuage that hunger without exposing your only two precious cows to the dangers of the outside world (such dangers being wolves, bears, etc...). Perhaps this could tie in to how plump and healthy your livestock gets? Just putting it out there, you guys could make it so that a mob's MAX hp and weight are determined by their genetics, but what they actually get is acquired as they grow, with penalties applied for poor living conditions such as food scarcity. Perhaps if a mob doesn't eat at least X oz of straw/grass in one growth cycle, the amount of hp/weight it gains for that cycle is halved (using math.ceil to round up, of course).

So let's say you just had your only ladycow give birth to a bouncing baby calf. Do to it's good genetics (you happened to find nice plump ones in the wild), it has a max weight of 530 lbs (which is the actual average amount of processable meat the average american cow produces, so lol), which will equate to 53 whole 160oz cuts of meat! Hot damn!

Buuuuuut, say it's in a pretty dirty stall for 2 growth cycles (lets say it starts out at 53 lb, and has 9 more equal growth cycles - unrealistic I know, but I'm just throwing numbers at a proof of concept here)... well, for those 2 cycles, not only does it only eat an arbitrary 2/5 times, but the pulled out of my ass -10% 'dirty' penalty to growth also applies due to the unkempt straw, leaving you with 2 cycles of (53*0.5)*0.9=23.85. Math.ceil(23.85)=24.

So 24 lbs gained for those 2 growth cycles, leaving you 58oz of potential beef poorer for your shoddy caretaking. For shame, someone call PETA...

...scratch that, actually, they'll just kill the poor thing.

So putting it out to pasture could be a legitimate option, unless say... exposure to the damp and cold ALSO imposed a growth penalty. Then you'd pretty much HAVE to bring your livestock into the barn at some point - at the very least, when it's raining. But once more, we can't have the young ones starving through precious growth cycles, or have ANY of them dying of hunger, so it falls back to straw.

Time to stock that stable~

I just put a hole in the wall for my sheep to go out in a little grass area made for them to regrow wool. as for everything else we just eat them when they die lol.

But yes you have a point and that would be great to have added.

I seem to remember someone saying that manure or such things won't be happening. Though I do like the idea of having a way to feed animals without leaving them outside in a field. Perhaps thatch blocks could be used?

I really like this idea.

Now, to dump out all the idea I had regarding animal growing/feeding

About the

Perhaps this could tie in to how plump and healthy your livestock gets? Just putting it out there, you guys could make it so that a mob's MAX hp and weight are determined by their genetics, but what they actually get is acquired as they grow, with penalties applied for poor living conditions such as food scarcity. Perhaps if a mob doesn't eat at least X oz of straw/grass in one growth cycle, the amount of hp/weight it gains for that cycle is halved (using math.ceil to round up, of course).

I think if you feed your animal well, there should also be a chance for the animal to get bigger and healthier than what they got via genetics. This should effect the 'genetics' of the animal, so you can get bigger animals by feeding them more.

And once your animal is full grown, it should be able to get slightly bigger or thinner depending on how well you feed it(this won't effect the animals 'genetic' size it passes down to it's young, of course.)

Also, the animal's hunger should effect it's productivity.

So a hungry chickens will give less eggs, hungry sheep gives less eggs wool(woopsies.....), hungry cows give less milk, and hungry pregnant animals should give less young, or have a chance to not give birth at all.

Breeding animals should be automatic, and not be just 'shove grain down the animal's throats.'

Instead, animals should breed on their own when full and healthy.

Finally, animals should not starve to death, I don't think, because of servers.

If animals can starve to death, it would be really difficult in servers.

They should simply become extremely unproductive.

Well, that's it.

I do hope I wasn't rambling

I mean yeah, I can see leaving them out to pasture - but having them just unsheltered, chilling in the rain? Wouldn't make for terribly healthy animals, I wager. You could ALSO just erect a structure (heh, erect...) with a grass floor, but what kind of bloody cop-out is that.

I agree with the sentiment, but in all honesty, I think that roofed 'lawn' should be a viable option. It could be easily balanced by the fact of how much grass regular cow/sheep has to eat (requiring some straw anyway or a really big roofed pasture which in turn could cut down light making it harder for grass to regrow).

So I say, make straw place-able on solid blocks, similar what you see when making a pit kiln. It would consume 2 straw per placement, and be 1/8th of a block high. Hungry farm animals could 'eat' a block of it, removing it the same way they change grass to dirt, in order to heal as if they had just eaten grass. Also, these blocks should have a random event whenever a passive mob walks over it

I am not overly fond of this part. That's really, really quite some development work. I guess I'd rather settle for simply dropping a block of straw and making animals eat from it (making said block last a few 'feedings') if there's no grass available. Should be far easier to add and - at least for players like me - strike a decent balance between actually having to take care of animals instead of cooping 20 cows in 4x4 area and the feature not being additional chore that required aforementioned work to be put in in the first place. Because, I am willing to bet, for some people that wouldn't be fun, it would be just an additional chore, especially after they'd have to change the straw on the floor for xxxth time.

Just putting it out there, you guys could make it so that a mob's MAX hp and weight are determined by their genetics, but what they actually get is acquired as they grow, with penalties applied for poor living conditions such as food scarcity.

I am ambivalent somewhat toward this. On one hand, yes, differentiation of specimen and gain proportional to the quality of player's work are quite decent ideas, on the other I can see all those dying animals in the wild (because of no roof and sometimes being spawn where there's not much grass) as well as I am not fond of the fact that a lot of the feature would depend on the luck of player finding animal with good genes which could be simply unfair if two players would work as hard to find a cow and one would get great animal, while the other - underperforming one. Sure, the difference could be miniscule but then, what's the point of spending time and working hard on implementation if the difference won't matter?

For shame, someone call PETA......scratch that, actually, they'll just kill the poor thing.

While I am also not a great fan of PETA, it would do them justice if everyone would read the article before commiting oversimplification or false accusations. The article regards morally questionable methods of euthanasia and while they argue that euthanasia itself may be sometimes the lesser evil (in case of rampant overpopulation and animals dying slowly in poor conditions with no one willing to take care of them), they encourage people to not reach for such drastic methods and underline importance of alternatives in keeping populations in check such as animal birth control.

So putting it out to pasture could be a legitimate option, unless say... exposure to the damp and cold ALSO imposed a growth penalty.

In all honesty, that seems like a decent idea, though I'd rather concentrate on 'damp' part as at this point of the game it's hard to really counter the 'cold' one on a bigger scale. Not to mention the fact that in dry, enclosed quarters, like barn, where there's not much wind cows can fare better than humans as they generate far more heat - in fact, I recall reading about how in some ancient times certain cultures kept their livestock at homes as bio-radiators.We could combine it with AllenWL's idea, as well.

Also, the animal's hunger should effect it's productivity.So a hungry chickens will give less eggs, hungry sheep gives less eggs, hungry cows give less milk, and hungry pregnant animals should give less young, or have a chance to not give birth at all.

...which seems a decent one. Though I possibly would rather avoid implementing sheep laying eggs (just amusing derp moment, I assume).

Breeding animals should be automatic, and not be just 'shove grain down the animal's throats.'Instead, animals should breed on their own when full and healthy.

That's a considerably interesting feature. However, I wouldn't want to make it totally random as sometimes it would just inconvenience the player. Maybe semi-random, with feeding the animals encouraging them into starting 'reproductive cycle' and making them more fertile (while making chance of such happening rather low otherwise).

Finally, animals should not starve to death, I don't think, because of servers.

Got my wholehearted agreement here. That'd just bring problems.

I seem to remember someone saying that manure or such things won't be happening. Though I do like the idea of having a way to feed animals without leaving them outside in a field. Perhaps thatch blocks could be used?

They said that fecal matter wouldn't happen, as a block or dropped item. But I'm not saying that 'dohoho, lets add poopie', I'm just saying animals accumulate some grimy unpleasantness around them, and it isn't all feces. Animals vomit just like we do, and they roll around in mud and bugs and all kinds of crap. Not very nice.  

hungry sheep gives less eggs

I fully agree. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that hungry sheep wouldn't even lay eggs at all.  

Breeding animals should be automatic, and not be just 'shove grain down the animal's throats.'Instead, animals should breed on their own when full and healthy.

You know, I do actually think that's the case. In my world, I had 2 cows near the base of the mountain I live on. 2 springs later, and there's now a baby calf running about, and I sure as hell never fed them. This post was made with the assumption that this already happens.

Finally, animals should not starve to death, I don't think, because of servers.If animals can starve to death, it would be really difficult in servers.

Yeah, but if everyone's going off the server and the server is being left on, you just let everything out to pasture and you're fine. If you forget, then it's your own fault - same as if you kept your own real pets in the house locked up while you went on vacation for 2 months - it's YOUR fault that they're dead. -Either that, or animals in unloaded chunks don't need to eat.Though admittedly, I find it hard to empathize since I've never been in this situation - the server I use shuts down when no one's on it.

I am not overly fond of this part. That's really, really quite some development work.

Which part specifically? Placing the straw, having it get dirty, or having the animals determine how often to eat due to it. I've actually written little snippets of not-real-code for 2 of the 3

Because, I am willing to bet, for some people that wouldn't be fun, it would be just an additional chore, especially after they'd have to change the straw on the floor for xxxth time.

To be fair, that's sort of the entire point. A good DEAL of TFC is doing little upkeep chores, like harvesting your tree farm, berry bushes, or slogging through your mine. It's about immersion, and investiture. The more work you put into your livestock, the more you'll come to think of them less as food and more as family, the way many farmhands do. I know a few friends that grew up on farms, and most of their childhood involved eating something they had named themselves a few years ago, or playing outside with something they WOULD be eating in another decade or so. Part of that attachment is the work that had to be put into them - the human brain has evolved to attribute value to things proportional to the amount of time and resources we pour into them - see 'sunken cost fallacy'.

I am ambivalent somewhat toward this. On one hand, yes, differentiation of specimen and gain proportional to the quality of player's work are quite decent ideas, on the other I can see all those dying animals in the wild (because of no roof and sometimes being spawn where there's not much grass) as well as I am not fond of the fact that a lot of the feature would depend on the luck of player finding animal with good genes which could be simply unfair if two players would work as hard to find a cow and one would get great animal, while the other - underperforming one. Sure, the difference could be miniscule but then, what's the point of spending time and working hard on implementation if the difference won't matter?

To address these points in order-1) It's a survival mechanism that will, just by virtue of existing, increase the amount of sense the world makes. Animals WILL die off if they spawn in lands where their food source is sparse, unless they wander to more fertile grounds. That's the point! Now, there will be no deer wandering the middle of badlands. No cows near the poles. Animals will flock to where it is rich and plentiful, and so that is where players will have to go to hunt - as they should.2) That's life, I'm afraid. Sometimes you're just going to find shitty sick animals. It's the luck of the draw, and that sort of chance is already part-and-parcel with minecraft, moreso with TFC. I've gone my entire world so far without seeing a single fruit tree - I'm beginning to be convinced that they just don't spawn on my seed. I've been 2000 blocks in every direction, and not a single fruit have I seen other than berries, which are EVERYWHERE. It's a matter of luck; just like TFC, just like minecraft, just like life.

You know, I do actually think that's the case. In my world, I had 2 cows near the base of the mountain I live on. 2 springs later, and there's now a baby calf running about, and I sure as hell never fed them. This post was made with the assumption that this already happens.

Must have been a bug. Other than the issue with horses essentially being born pregnant, which should be fixed in 78.17, none of the TFC animals breed without players feeding them.

Though I possibly would rather avoid implementing sheep laying eggs (just amusing derp moment, I assume).

I fully agree. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that hungry sheep wouldn't even lay eggs at all.

major derp on my part, I meant wool.

I deeply apologize for any facepalming or annoyances that might have occurred due to my derp. Sorry :/

(Note: fixed)

Yeah, but if everyone's going off the server and the server is being left on, you just let everything out to pasture and you're fine. If you forget, then it's your own fault - same as if you kept your own real pets in the house locked up while you went on vacation for 2 months - it's YOUR fault that they're dead. -Either that, or animals in unloaded chunks don't need to eat.Though admittedly, I find it hard to empathize since I've never been in this situation - the server I use shuts down when no one's on it.

Ok, I'm really split on this one. On one hand, I've played games that need near-constant management to keep your 'pet/animal/whatever the heck you're keeping' healthy and alive. And having to get on every day or so to feed your animals is no fun, and with time in-game being much faster, it could get really annoying.

I personally don't know what servers do when nobody on, but I have missed harvest a few times because I didn't log on for week, and I would hate to oh, go to school for the week, then come back at the weekend and find all my animals dead.

But then, since we won't need to be on for the animals to eat, just leave the straw, it might be a lot easier to keep the animals alive, so it could really be your fault for not caring for your animals before you leave. But with the 'dirty straw' thing could be a problem.......

Oh, you know what? you can just put the straw, then make a 'trough' with planks so animals can eat it, but not walk on it, and put down plenty of straw.

And, it animals eat from tall/short grass just like they eat from straw, you should be able to let the animals 'graze' when the grass regrows, then feed them on straw for the rest while you wait for the grass to grow back.

Ok, I support this idea.

That's a considerably interesting feature. However, I wouldn't want to make it totally random as sometimes it would just inconvenience the player. Maybe semi-random, with feeding the animals encouraging them into starting 'reproductive cycle' and making them more fertile (while making chance of such happening rather low otherwise).

Um, what about if animals had a reproductive cycle for say, a year, and if not full, they have a chance to be infertile(can mate, but will not get young) or not want to breed(don't know what to call this, but basically, fertile, but won't breed), or both?

To address these points in order-1) It's a survival mechanism that will, just by virtue of existing, increase the amount of sense the world makes. Animals WILL die off if they spawn in lands where their food source is sparse, unless they wander to more fertile grounds. That's the point! Now, there will be no deer wandering the middle of badlands. No cows near the poles. Animals will flock to where it is rich and plentiful, and so that is where players will have to go to hunt - as they should.2) That's life, I'm afraid. Sometimes you're just going to find shitty sick animals. It's the luck of the draw, and that sort of chance is already part-and-parcel with minecraft, moreso with TFC. I've gone my entire world so far without seeing a single fruit tree - I'm beginning to be convinced that they just don't spawn on my seed. I've been 2000 blocks in every direction, and not a single fruit have I seen other than berries, which are EVERYWHERE. It's a matter of luck; just like TFC, just like minecraft, just like life.

Well, you brought me over completely with this I'd say.

And I was just thinking, even if you find shitty sick animals, can't you just feed them, get young from them, feed them, etc to grow bigger, better animals?

And even if you find healthy, big animals, if you don't feed them, you'll only be able to get sickly animals.

So in the long run, whether you got sickly animals or healthy animals won't matter, it would be a simple matter of how well you tend to your animals.

none of the TFC animals breed without players feeding them.

other then chickens, and If I recall the chicken self-breeding could get really out of hand.

And with this idea, you could keep the chicken egg-laying as it is, but still make them need maintenance to get more chickens, so I think it'll work well with all animals

other then chickens, and If I recall the chicken self-breeding could get really out of hand.

And with this idea, you could keep the chicken egg-laying as it is, but still make them need maintenance to get more chickens, so I think it'll work well with all animals

My bad, I should have said none of the TFC animals breed without player interaction. While chickens do breed on their own once they have a nest set up, I'm fairly certain that they do not spawn with the nest boxes. So it does require a player crafting and placing one before chickens can start breeding.

Must have been a bug. Other than the issue with horses essentially being born pregnant, which should be fixed in 78.17, none of the TFC animals breed without players feeding them.

Damn... Well, I suppose we should add that too... make a specific month range it can happen in, have it only work if a male and female are within 4 blocks of each other, and give it a 20% success rate (or lower) 

So in the long run, whether you got sickly animals or healthy animals won't matter, it would be a simple matter of how well you tend to your animals.

...And that's exactly my point~

Oh? What of the cows I mentioned before then

Do they, like... only self-breed in chunks players are loading?

As far as the code goes, they shouldn't be self-breeding at all. The only way that they bred on their own is if there was a bug when they were loaded and it set both of their "inLove" flags to true, or it set the female's "pregnant" flag to true.

Which part specifically? Placing the straw, having it get dirty, or having the animals determine how often to eat due to it. I've actually written little snippets of not-real-code for 2 of the 3

Very nice of you, but I'd like to see it with real, optimized, well-working code. I didn't mean any part specifically, though, but the whole feature which would actually consist of set of several lesser features making it up.

To be fair, that's sort of the entire point. A good DEAL of TFC is doing little upkeep chores (...) Part of that attachment is the work that had to be put into them - the human brain has evolved to attribute value to things proportional to the amount of time and resources we pour into them - see 'sunken cost fallacy'.

That's the point. If you'll overdo it, there won't be any attachment. Just aggravation of 'I have enough of this crap'. The deal of TFC is more of progressing despite obstacles to carve one's secure place in the world. While little upkeep chores are part of it, extending the gameplay and making it more complex, having to run around changing floor blocks once upon several days on top of one has to do normally won't just add to immersion or progression - for many players it will become another point on the dull checklist of things to do for the day.If I understand correctly, it's partially one of the reasons why we don't have regular watering, insect-spraying and fertilizing crops as the vital necessity of farming. There's developing certain features and there's making them a real chore for the player, who stops having fun and has to invest himself in the game the same way they would have to do with unpleasant job.I won't say that the idea is completely horrible but whoever would be adding it, if at all (as I am still uncertain whether it'd add enough gameplay to justify the work), would have to be very careful about it. Adding one bale of straw per a few days during winter, when I cannot let my stock feed itself outside is fine. Having to interrupt exploration or mining activities, because game demands for me to add some more food or clean up the barn would be just adding work for developers only so average player/server owner will also do some work to add a mod reverting the feature.

To address these points in order-1) It's a survival mechanism that will, just by virtue of existing, increase the amount of sense the world makes. (...)2) That's life, I'm afraid. Sometimes you're just going to find shitty sick animals. It's the luck of the draw, and that sort of chance is already part-and-parcel with minecraft, moreso with TFC. (...)

First point is quite convincing and I do believe that while it'd make the game considerably harder and unforgiving for some (even if unjustly at times), it'd be an interesting addition. However, in case of no 2, again, I'd remind of importance of moderation in developing certain aspects of gameplay.While the game is meant to be immersive and semi-realistic (do we hear the cries of 'believable!' yet?) , it's not life. Part of the inherent appeal of games is the fact that most of one's success depends on work and skill, not luck of the draw. The game is ultimately to bring satisfaction, not punish players for no shortcomings of their own. Even in a genre more vested in random factor and luck, roguelikes, there's certain importance put in the principle of action and it's results. You cannot be sure what will be the result exactly and there are certain risks involved, but rarely even rather unlucky gaming sessions result in the game giving you the finger if you play well - at least not in games enjoying certain degree of success.Adding to disparsity between 'quality' of animals based purely on luck in TFC would be like making the game randomly change stats of animals or giving them a chance of losing health whenever interacted with, for 'shit and giggles'. No matter your work, no matter the effort, you ultimately are a pawn of RNG, then. I sincerely doubt many players would enjoy that if effects of said stats would be really important.Generally, livestock handling could use some polishing and ideas in this thread are worth consideration, but I wouldn't want the game to go so far in the direction of farmhand simulator that all the other aspects of gameplay would be obstructed by it.

Part of the inherent appeal of games is the fact that most of one's success depends on work and skill, not luck of the draw.

Think about it this way.

Right now, how much food you get out of an animal largely depends on what type of animal you found, and size can make a pretty big difference too.

Although animal spawns depend on the climate, which in turn depends on latitude, but it's still pretty random on where you'll end up or what animals you'll find, and of course, size is completely random.

You might get unlucky and not find any animals at all, or just find really small ones. You might find tons of animals, or simply end up with a few deer.

But you have to note that this system also lets animals grow bigger via feeding.

This means that the size of the animals you find will not ultimately depend on what animal your found and how big it was, which is random, but rather depend on how well you feed and take care of that animal.

This would make animal farming depend on work and skill even more than it does now, and make it depend less on luck of the draw, as you can get a sickly tiny animal and grow it big, or get a big healthy animal and neglect it and make it sickly and small

-stuff-

Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing that all out myself.

You might get unlucky and not find any animals at all, or just find really small ones. You might find tons of animals, or simply end up with a few deer.

And in times when you'll find an animal you were seeking, I wouldn't want players to experience additional kick to the head in form of 'the cow you finally found is scrawny, evolutionary retarded in comparison with it's peers specimen, enjoy'!

This would make animal farming depend on work and skill even more than it does now, and make it depend less on luck of the draw, as you can get a sickly tiny animal and grow it big, or get a big healthy animal and neglect it and make it sickly and small

Exactly, and this I regarded: either the feature will depend greatly on one's luck and have quite noticeable impact, which I don't think is fair, especially on top of random factors we already have (though those factors are more balanced) or like you've said, primary way of making animal have some worth is through taking care of it and feeding it, making the whole genetics system a gimmick to be quickly ignored which would require work for something that wouldn't really enrich the game after first few minutes and often be ignored altogether.You regard the point of having animal value depend on raising here, a different idea which I don't have as much issue with, though I have to stress how important it is to make it balanced enough to be a feature not a dull chore making game repetitive.

You regard the point of having animal value depend on raising here, a different idea which I don't have as much issue with, though I have to stress how important it is to make it balanced enough to be a feature not a dull chore making game repetitive.

1) That's not a different idea, that's one of the main salient points of my thread - 'make animal quality semi-dependent on player attention'2) Obviously this needs to be tinkered with and balanced (and then REbalanced a few times, because unintended consequences). This is a forum for suggestions, not developer detailing. This suggestion (and really, all of them) assume that D&B will do testing and rebalancing without having to be told to.

And in times when you'll find an animal you were seeking, I wouldn't want players to experience additional kick to the head in form of 'the cow you finally found is scrawny, evolutionary retarded in comparison with it's peers specimen, enjoy'!

But that 'additional kick to the head' can be solved by feeding the animal.

And it's not like every animal ever is going to be a scrawny sickly thing.

I mean, I see tons of tall grass, grass, and leaves everywhere, as well as water being super-common.

I doubt much animals will be scrawny unless their on a tiny island, or in a desert or the arctic or something, in which case them being a scrawny runt is totally understandable.

I think tall grass and short grass should have different straw drop rates, possibly one for short grass and two for tall grass.

And animals can search for food in this order straw, tall grass, short grass, flowers, grass(block), leaves, dried grass(block).

This way There will be plenty of food in the wild(I mean, almost every inch of ground in TFC is covered in some sort of vegetation) so your chances of finding sickly animals decreases drastically unless you where searching in a barren, empty place, in which case..... why where you looking for animals there in the first place?

And in a somewhat similar but possibly not that similar topic, If animals could eat crops and berries, and that kept them fuller than other things, it would also help in making animals in the wild not scrawny, and will also give you a incentive to not plant your crops smack dab in the forest with no protection

1) That's not a different idea, that's one of the main salient points of my thread - 'make animal quality semi-dependent on player attention'

There's a misunderstanding I believe. Both ideas you've shared in this thread, yes but genetics isn't the same as quality dependant on player actions. That's why I've said 'separate idea' as AllenWL in the last post was regarding the latter more than former thing I have issue with.

But that 'additional kick to the head' can be solved by feeding the animal.And it's not like every animal ever is going to be a scrawny sickly thing.

And here's where we hit the conundrum I've already entioned, a few times in fact.If the genetics has to have noticeable, lasting effects to have a point, then just feeding animal and keeping it in good health shouldn't be easy deal nor one that make the problem go away permanently. At the same time, if it will be hard to take care of animal or, even worse, animal quality will be a matter of luck with no way of improving it in relation to other specimen, then it will be unfair if not also bothersome. If, however, you can easily make up for bad genetics and make animal all good, quality and healthy just with care then I don't see much point of adding genetics in the first place.

2) Obviously this needs to be tinkered with and balanced (and then REbalanced a few times, because unintended consequences). This is a forum for suggestions, not developer detailing. This suggestion (and really, all of them) assume that D&B will do testing and rebalancing without having to be told to.

True, but it seems questionable to me whether the's point in adding it in the first place if what balancing can achieve is making it only somewhat obnoxious and/or somewhat noticeable with dependance on luck. I am simply not convinced whether the bits I have problem with would really improve my gameplay rather than steer me away once implemented.

If, however, you can easily make up for bad genetics and make animal all good, quality and healthy just with care then I don't see much point of adding genetics in the first place.

Genetics are already in the mod.

Genetics are already in the mod.

Then I must say you made me smile as apparently we did go the path of it mattering little given the whole suggestion (working on the assumption that there's no genetics) and following discussion. Oh well, as long as it stays the way it is I have no further problems with it, problem solved :P

Animals will require food to live. The reason for this is to limit how many animals you can support. Different animals will require different types of feed. You will be able to stockpile feed for the animals to eat as they please. When a chunk reloads after being unloaded for a long time, animals will not die immediately, but will have to consume a quantity of food relative to span of time they were unloaded with in a certain amount of time of reloading.

Animals will require food to live. The reason for this is to limit how many animals you can support. Different animals will require different types of feed. You will be able to stockpile feed for the animals to eat as they please. When a chunk reloads after being unloaded for a long time, animals will not die immediately, but will have to consume a quantity of food relative to span of time they were unloaded with in a certain amount of time of reloading.

I enjoy this.

-cool stuff-

I'm thinking a feed-box would be the versatile, believable and practical way to do this. Crafted with planks and having an inventory for several stacks of various animal feed. 

Could you elaborate on the specific mechanics or are the ideas for implementation still in the works?

I hope that the food will be along the lines of grain, a crop like alfalfa or pasture space.  Straw is used more for animal bedding than food, as it's the byproduct of production and doesn't have much nutritional value.