Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tsuarok

Thaumafirmacraft

7 posts in this topic

So, I rather enjoy the addon Thaumcraft, and with the new ore generation config options, I thought I'd check it out to see how much would need to be done for full compatibility.  

I just tried out of the box, without touching the configs, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't crash.  There were a few problems though. 

The first thing I noticed was that animals were EVERYWHERE.  They were TFC animal, but the place was crawling with sheep and chicken and bears and wolves.  Occasionally I came across perfectly square sections where the terrain dropped to sea level, presumably where Thaumcraft biomes would have been.  I searched for a while but was unable to find any thaumcraft biomes or trees.  Or really any plants or mobs.

But the nodes did spawn in normally, which had been my biggest concern.

My test was done with custom NPCs installed, which could be used to work out recipe equivalencies (like pop a tuyere into a crafting table to get wand caps.  Or whatever). 

Happily, all TFC stuff seems to be working normally.  Besides the animal spawn rate.

Obviously some work would need to be done to get a seamless experience.

So, for a crossover mod, we'd need:

Easy Stuff:

Add the thaumcraft biomes, plants, mobs

Reduce the animal spawns back to normal.

Somewhat harder:

Add aspects to TFC materials

add exchange recipes for Thaumcraft items (easily done through custom NPCs, but an integrated solution would be better)

Lots of work

Change entire items and associated textures (thaumium wand caps become Blue Steel wand caps)

or

Add smithing recipes for wand caps, smelting recipes for thaumium, etc.

Change item ablilties to better fit in with TFC progression

Stabilize the Nether and add a way to get there

Now... I'm not really a programmer, so I won't be able to do this, at least not soon.  But seeing how little is now needed to get this working, I thought I might inspire someone who knows what they're doing to work on this.  If needed, I'd be happy to supply some textures, and I'd definitely add thaumcraft to my todo list for my resource pack.

It seems more like this is suggestion of merging two mods (especially given you yourself called it 'crossover mod') rather than make them compatible as shown by suggestions to actually add elements from both mods instead of making developers adjust the code behind them. I believe that's how it should be done and how it is in most cases - standarized values and code so elements of different mods can work with each other or, if necessary overwrite in a way that makes the mods work well with each other.

Actually changing the features of the mods to depend on each other - porting recipes from one mod to the other, changing them so they need something from Thaumcraft and TFC, adding cross-mod dependancies on textures and so on, and so on - would make both mods either needlessly convoluted or problematic if someone would want to play just TFC or Thaumcraft. Unless you mean it like some sort of bridge between them, installed separately. I am not sure if making third mod is the right way to go in such case, but someone more well-versed in Minecraft modding than I am should answer that.

I wouldn't mind some adjustments to be made but frankly, I believe there are things in TFC itself that would use devteam time and effort.

Thaumcraft and Terrafirmacraft both have APIs. These actually mean that:

1) Adding aspects to TFC items become simple, if time consuming.

2) Adding smithing recipes for caps is even easier.

3) Due to the Thaumcraft API, you can simply create a brand new wand with the same abilities of a silverwood wand and only allow that one to be created.

4) And the biome work you mentioned is the hardest (IMO) part. You'd have to write a whole new biome and slot it into TFC world gen.

The only other thing: Stabilize the nether? Why? 

the nether is needed for advanced thaumcraft materials and recipes, without it you would either need to make those items available somehow in the overworld or get stuck at an early stage of magic

It seems more like this is suggestion of merging two mods (especially given you yourself called it 'crossover mod') rather than make them compatible as shown by suggestions to actually add elements from both mods instead of making developers adjust the code behind them. I believe that's how it should be done and how it is in most cases - standarized values and code so elements of different mods can work with each other or, if necessary overwrite in a way that makes the mods work well with each other.Actually changing the features of the mods to depend on each other - porting recipes from one mod to the other, changing them so they need something from Thaumcraft and TFC, adding cross-mod dependancies on textures and so on, and so on - would make both mods either needlessly convoluted or problematic if someone would want to play just TFC or Thaumcraft. Unless you mean it like some sort of bridge between them, installed separately. I am not sure if making third mod is the right way to go in such case, but someone more well-versed in Minecraft modding than I am should answer that.I wouldn't mind some adjustments to be made but frankly, I believe there are things in TFC itself that would use devteam time and effort.

While I agree that out of the box compatibility is desirable for many mods, and that perhaps TFC devs could work on things like easier biome integration and stability for the nether and such, I don't think it would play well to just throw these two mods together.  

Mods such as thaumcraft are balanced with reference to vanilla survival, as they should be.  But TFC changes so much that some items become overly powerful, while others become useless.  Further, TFC has certain crafting systems that add a great deal to gameplay, and it would be desirable to continue using these systems in other content mods.

So what I'm suggesting would be a third compatibility mod, something like we currently have for Buildcraft.  Something well thought out with appropriate omissions and modifications that truly integrates the two.

Thaumcraft and Terrafirmacraft both have APIs. These actually mean that:

1) Adding aspects to TFC items become simple, if time consuming.

2) Adding smithing recipes for caps is even easier.

3) Due to the Thaumcraft API, you can simply create a brand new wand with the same abilities of a silverwood wand and only allow that one to be created.

4) And the biome work you mentioned is the hardest (IMO) part. You'd have to write a whole new biome and slot it into TFC world gen.

The only other thing: Stabilize the nether? Why? 

Well, the first 2 are good news. :)  I think we might have trouble with the third, as thaumcraft uses sticks to make the wands, and the specialty trees drop named sticks for that purpose.  You'd need to either have unique sticks for some trees, or add the thaumcraft trees in (which, btw, can't currently grow on TFC dirt).

As for the forth, as I said, I'm not a programmer, so my estimation could easily be off.  I'd assumed you could just take the biome info from Thaumcraft and plug it into the TFC world  generation in some manner.  I hadn't realized a full rewrite would be required.  I know TFC biomes are just terrain, and the plant populations are based on temperature and rainfall data, but I'd thought, since these are supposed to be magical forests and such, that one could simply add them in randomly.  The sharp, vanilla style cutoff between the biome and TFC terrain would actually enhance the magical feel... but it may be that TFC generation simply has no place to put in this style of biome.

the nether is needed for advanced thaumcraft materials and recipes, without it you would either need to make those items available somehow in the overworld or get stuck at an early stage of magic

Also, the nether would fit well thematically with the mod.  

Honestly, I think nether (and end) stability should be part of TFC in general, for compatibility purposes.  But that is a topic for another thread.

One thing I'd like to point out is that with some carefully planned custom recipes, via custom NPCs, these should work together right now without any other mods.  Maybe not the ideal experience, but it should work, it anyone wishes to play it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0