Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Maga

Exploration Incentive (structures)

43 posts in this topic

Waaaay too much. If it happens.. IF it happens... there'll probably be maybe 6-7 different structures all in severe disrepair/decay, and they'll all be incredibly rare. Anything else just doesn't... feel very TFC.

Ah... true...

Ugh, I when overboard again, didn't I?

Yea, I guess around 6 would be best.

But I don't know about the severe decay bit. Just how severe are we talking about?

(when I hear severe, all I can think of is a few crumbled bricks showing the vague outlines of a building half buried under dirt)

I wonder, is there be a way to randomize how the structures look like, so no two structures look the same?

Although ruins are nice, keep in mind that TFC reflects a pre-industry world, not a post-apocalyptic world. Military and complex buildings are somewhat out of the scope.

I think that most of the ruins should be spiritual/religious based, for those buildings usually tend to be huge and long-lasting (people in ancient times were more superstitious and religious). Some examples being stonehenges, monoliths, shrines, and temples.

However, most of these structures should be very ruined, having collapsed roofs, uneven floors, and maybe some fallen walls. They shouldn't serve as a convenient base for someone trying to get by the night.

I really liked the idea of picking up technology from ruins, so maybe these ruins could contain an "artifact stone" that when right-clicked unlocks little bonus aspects in the game.

These bonus aspects shouldn't be technology advancing, or rather shouldn't be anything that is better than aspects of normal gameplay. They should be seen as alternatives (I.e. You can unlock a katana weapon, that works exactly like a normal sword, but maybe with a little pros and cons).

And as for a reason to revisit ruins, maybe every 3 years, the "artifact stone" would unlock for you a different aspect.

I think that most of the ruins should be spiritual/religious based, for those buildings usually tend to be huge and long-lasting (people in ancient times were more superstitious and religious). Some examples being stonehenges, monoliths, shrines, and temples.I really liked the idea of picking up technology from ruins, so maybe these ruins could contain an "artifact stone" that when right-clicked unlocks little bonus aspects in the game.And as for a reason to revisit ruins, maybe every 3 years, the "artifact stone" would unlock for you a different aspect.

I like the mysterious religious ruins bit. I had considered the idea of a 'artifact stone' or something along those lines... My concern is that in SMP the people would gut he building and the artifact stone would need to be unbreakable or people would smash it to make their swords/lanterns/armor etc more valuable on the server. unbreakable blocks on the surface is something I don't really like though... Perhaps a solution might be to have the entire structure (or if the stone is used, just the stone) re-spawn every 3-4 years so new players on the server have a means of obtaining the knowledge. As for the building changing the knowledge I think that would need to be every 10-20 ingame years to work better with a SMP environment. SSP people have the benefit of no map-borders so they could just look harder instead of waiting.

Something else that might work well would be if a player who can't craft brass lanterns gets a few from his friend, putting one in your inventory by itself and 'crafting' it would give you a chance to learn how to make it yourself and consume the item. Thoughts?

Although ruins are nice, keep in mind that TFC reflects a pre-industry world, not a post-apocalyptic world. Military and complex buildings are somewhat out of the scope.I think that most of the ruins should be spiritual/religious based, for those buildings usually tend to be huge and long-lasting (people in ancient times were more superstitious and religious). Some examples being stonehenges, monoliths, shrines, and temples.However, most of these structures should be very ruined, having collapsed roofs, uneven floors, and maybe some fallen walls. They shouldn't serve as a convenient base for someone trying to get by the night.I really liked the idea of picking up technology from ruins, so maybe these ruins could contain an "artifact stone" that when right-clicked unlocks little bonus aspects in the game.These bonus aspects shouldn't be technology advancing, or rather shouldn't be anything that is better than aspects of normal gameplay. They should be seen as alternatives (I.e. You can unlock a katana weapon, that works exactly like a normal sword, but maybe with a little pros and cons).And as for a reason to revisit ruins, maybe every 3 years, the "artifact stone" would unlock for you a different aspect.

Sounds too magicky imo,I'd rather you finds plans or something you can commit to memory that allow you to make new weapons and such.

I agree with an extreme rarity on these structures. I want it to be something you happen to find, not something you look for. And make it even rarer to find these suggested rare items. I also imagine a state of ruin to the point mining a single block likely would collapse the whole thing.

I like the mysterious religious ruins bit. I had considered the idea of a 'artifact stone' or something along those lines... My concern is that in SMP the people would gut he building and the artifact stone would need to be unbreakable or people would smash it to make their swords/lanterns/armor etc more valuable on the server. unbreakable blocks on the surface is something I don't really like though......As for the building changing the knowledge I think that would need to be every 10-20 ingame years to work better with a SMP environment. SSP people have the benefit of no map-borders so they could just look harder instead of waiting.

Something else that might work well would be if a player who can't craft brass lanterns gets a few from his friend, putting one in your inventory by itself and 'crafting' it would give you a chance to learn how to make it yourself and consume the item. Thoughts?

Sounds too magicky imo,I'd rather you finds plans or something you can commit to memory that allow you to make new weapons and such...

After looking back and brainstorming a bit more, I think a better solution is to make the whole ruins area what the player gains knowledge from, and not just a tangible artifact stone.By crafting some scribbling tools (mock-up name, might need to be changed) with ink, a feather, and paper, the player can go to the area of a ruins and by holding right mouse button, observe and take notes from the ruins. When complete, the scribbling tools transform into a plan/research note. When the plan/research note is right clicked, it is consumed and allows the player to access the bonus aspect that it provides.Gained knowledge should be reflected in the skill level tab in the inventory menu.Crafting the plan/research note with another scribbling tool will duplicate it, allowing it to be shared. If the player has already consumed the plan/research note, another can also be created through transcribing, also consuming one scribbling tool to produce the plan/research note item. This is done via clicking on the respective aspects icon in the skill level tab.That way, even if the ruins is gutted and torn down, the area is still sacred, and will provide the player knowledge. The area should be around 9x9x9, centered about the ruins.I agree, that the changing of the bonus aspect the ruin provides should be around 10-20 ingame years, for balancing (although this should be controllable via config). If a player tries to observe/take notes from a ruins a second time, before it has changed to another aspect, a message saying "You are unable to uncover more as of now" should appear, and the scribbling tool should not be loss.

Excellent, I love this... I don't mean to sound arrogant but this is written like you pulled it straight from my brainstorming... except better articulated and I had not considered that you could duplicate the scribes. I had thought about making it a mini-biome and bringing along some sort of paper/pen/ink but you covered it better than I could have. Also I love that it's reflected in the skill tab. +1

I'd actually made a sort of mockup stone henge when I was designing some of the ruins... but honestly it's kinda useless unless the sun changes rising point with the season, which I feel is a bit much to ask of D&B. Then they'd also have to remove the calendar.

I have to say though, I VERY much like the idea of building a structure that uses monolithic stone structures to indicate the season, by finding out what the highest and lowest setting points of the sun were, marking them, and then using the midpoint to plan your crop planting and harvesting... fuckin TFC astronomy... yeah...

I'm not personally sure if this has been suggested or not, but has anyone tried making it so the world can randomly generate weathered structures? I mean, I'm no expert with modding in Minecraft, and TFC seems like a whole new story. But what if?

Perhaps there could be different structures that generate as well? Not just a bunch of houses with villagers (because I know that creating NPCs is not on the creators TODO list). No, not like that - but weathered and torn down into ruins. I can think up a few different things off the top of my head, but it's probably asking too much.

1. Perhaps a small cluster of houses? Not an entire village or anything, but just three or four small huts or one-room buildings, with wood for the walls, cobblestone for the foundation and floors, and a thatch roof. The buildings can each have a few bits of the walls broken down and torn apart, and the roof can be sort of "caving in", or perhaps just have a hole here and there to create the facade of the thatch rotting.

2. A long, 10-block-tall and 3-block-thick stone brick wall with several gaps and holes in it. I just think it would be interesting to be trekking through the woods, gathering materials, when suddenly happening upon this enormous wall that spans several feet (er, blocks) in either direction. The wall should be at least 200-300 blocks long, and each side should end with a small structure or some geography. Perhaps guard towers on either end?

3. Towers - ranging from 10 to 30 blocks in height - that are in some form of disrepair. Some of the structures might even be toppled over, where the bottom half stands and the top half has fallen over to the side (through battle with man or with time). I feel like it would be a pretty intense sight. Perhaps one could even find a chest with a little bit of loot inside, such as an iron weapon or a piece of armor? That might be asking a bit much, but if they're spread out sparsely, would there be that much harm in it?

4. Old run-down forts. Forts held small villages and communities within them, so this would be the big "Whoa, I can't believe I just found this!" ruin. The buildings should be especially worn down, and at one end there should be a barracks with a pantry nearby. If there is to be a reward from such a place, it could be that the barracks (made primarily of stone) is not entirely destroyed and still stands. Perhaps a few weapons could be found inside, a few beds - the general utilities of soldiers. The walls wouldn't be much more than 8 to 12 blocks tall, but could have a few 12-16 block tall guard towers positioned at the corners. Much of the walls and towers would be in ruin, with brick blocks clustered around the walls here and there, but it would be a magnificent sight to see. Not to mention that if a player had the tools, they could set up right inside, possibly even repairing the fort to what it would have looked like and turning it into a bustling community! (On a server, anyway)

If this doesn't get put into TFC by the makers, I would love to see this made into a mod - even for vanilla. Of course, another issue could be "What type of wood or stone are these things made of?" I don't know for certain. Perhaps make it so that it generates those materials based upon the trees and stone generated in the chunk? A basalt fortress would be rather intimidating, while a marble or granite fort would be awe-inspiring.

I'm not sure, I just had an idea that I can't stop thinking about. I might build some structures in creative mode and attach some screenshots later to give an idea of what I'd like to see.

The only problem I could see for the addition/mod game-wise is that it could just outright break the difficulty. If your world generates with you standing right next to one of these structures, then why bother going anywhere else, right? A bit troublesome...

Edit:

Here are some screenshots I took for possible tower designs. Since the type of stone and wood in each varies greatly, you could have several combinations when finding a structure.

http://imgur.com/a/3kSH8

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate topic, merged into older, existing one.

I really like your ideas of the structures you listed, even though similar things to these have been suggested before (we should make a list of every building suggestion ever made, have the community build designs then implement the best to the game after discussing where it would spawn etc.), i think they wont implement structures, because in TFC the player is supposed to be the first who builds anything.

i think they wont implement structures, because in TFC the player is supposed to be the first who builds anything.

And the only one as far as I know.

2. A long, 10-block-tall and 3-block-thick stone brick wall with several gaps and holes in it. I just think it would be interesting to be trekking through the woods, gathering materials, when suddenly happening upon this enormous wall that spans several feet (er, blocks) in either direction. The wall should be at least 200-300 blocks long, and each side should end with a small structure or some geography. Perhaps guard towers on either end?

The other buildings are kinda ok, the problem is that you can't control where they should spawn exactly, and the terrain is extremely random, so those buildings could be amiss. Of course if Bioxx had more control over the terrain generator, these could even be cool. Anyway for that wall, especially that wall, it wouldn't fit in many locations. IE in my world I live in a peninsula-like place, and if that wall spawned there, both the extremes would end in the water.

You have a good point... I believe that the easiest things to generate in the world would be simple structures like houses and towers. If anyone could figure out how to get a little more control over some of the world gen, it might be a bit more feasible. The wall does seem like a bit of an extreme idea, though, so I can see where that would run into some issues.

As for letting the community build and implementing the best buildings, that would be a fantastic idea! We should worry about how this would be implemented in the first place first and foremost.

You have a good point... I believe that the easiest things to generate in the world would be simple structures like houses and towers. If anyone could figure out how to get a little more control over some of the world gen, it might be a bit more feasible. The wall does seem like a bit of an extreme idea, though, so I can see where that would run into some issues.

As for letting the community build and implementing the best buildings, that would be a fantastic idea! We should worry about how this would be implemented in the first place first and foremost.

I am not a modder but as I saw other mods and how vanilla got new structures, i think even forge API might make implementing community made structures in the game, if someone who knows enough about this give us some guidelines of exactly what structure can work. (like chiseled and microblocks?) 

I edited my post to have an imgur link for some previews of what I would kind of like to see. Obviously, letting the community give it a go would be much more sufficient, since my building skills are a bit basic, haha.

I edited the main post to have an imgur link for some previews of what I would kind of like to see. Obviously, letting the community give it a go would be much more sufficient, since my building skills are a bit basic, haha.

I really like the last one though

Of course if it can be used, chiseled blocks would make these structures much nicer

I believe that chiseled blocks may or may not work with the world generation, so I'd like to keep structures like that to a minimum. If not to keep them from being buggy, to keep them from being a hassle on whoever decides to try and implement this.

On another note, I have some screenshots of a small villager-style house with a well next to it. Obviously, there should be more variation, but I did this right before I had to go off and do something.

http://imgur.com/a/zkgda

There's also the idea of graveyards and crypts. The crypt would be a bit more difficult to implement (seeing as it's underground as well as above), however it would be pretty neat.

http://imgur.com/a/6vqHb