Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Maga

Frames and Plaster (scaffolding and building block)

43 posts in this topic

This is a modified post, the original can be found in the spoiler at the bottom.

Just a simple suggestion this time. One recipe, one new block, one great new addition to building in TFC.

I love to build and TFC lends itself well to medieval buildings. There is a block that most medieval texture packs include and it looks great.

Here are a few examples of it in different buildings (It's the wool with a wooden cross frame)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Historically this building material used plaster dried on to a frame, after doing some quick research into plasters (which I should have done before I started this thread) I was pleasantly surprised to find that the means for creating plaster are almost entirely in Terrafirmacraft. Making this specific block would require applying plaster to a frame made of wood.

Frames

When I want to get to my attic or treehouse I use a ladder, but when I'm working on a barn or castle tower it would look sweet to have the work in progress surrounded in scaffolding for easy building, climbing and chiseling. Given that fall damage is so lethal I think scaffolding would fit in wonderfully into construction in the world of TFC.

Crafting recipe for wooden frames, yields 2 frame blocks.

Posted Image

Frames would act somewhat like a combination of vertical and horizontal support beams, horizontal armatures of frames could only extend a certain distance from a vertical column of frames, however they would not provide any cave-in support to blocks except the ones directly on top a frame. (To ensure that support beams are still useful) Frames could be climbed like ladders on all sides and would break slowly except when using a saw. Like trees and support beams, knocking out the bottom block would topple the frames above. Frame columns would have a max height of 16 blocks.

For more info on possible mechanics for scaffolding check out the scaffolding mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/246874-173scaffolding-v23/)

One thing I think would be great is the way that right clicking the side of a scaffold block adds a scaffold block to the top of the tower, I think this would be balanced if the height limit of 16 was used for frame towers.

Plaster

Traditionally lime plaster is created from limestone powder, water and sand (essentially what is currently used for making mortar) so I propose that we go in favor of Gypsum plaster (or plaster of Paris) 

Basic Info on plaster of Pairs as taken from the wiki page...

Gypsum plaster, or the plaster of Paris, is produced by heating gypsum to about 300 °F (150 °C):[2]

CaSO4·2H2O + heat → CaSO4·0.5H2O + 1.5H2O (released as steam).

When the dry plaster powder is mixed with water, it re-forms into gypsum. The setting of unmodified plaster starts about 10 minutes after mixing and is complete in about 45 minutes

Since we already have gypsum I think it makes sense that we start using it. Without going into super detail, the way we simulate making/using plaster in TFC is this:

Take gypsum and heat it in a fire-pit or forge

Crush gypsum while it's hot by crafting it with a hammer (yeilds 3 plaster powder)

Craft 8 plaster powder with a water bucket to obtain 8 wet plaster (wet plaster would have an invisible countdown -like cooling metal- where once it reaches 0 it reverts to plaster powder)

-(A nice bonus would be to include a way for mass-producing plaster by placing a full stack of plaster powder in a barrel of water and having it empty the barrel and instantly convert to wet plaster, the same mechanic might be used making mortar with sand in a barrel of limewater)

Wet plaster can be applied to a frame, creating a frame with a grey coating, breaking the block at this time separates it into a frame drop and a wet plaster drop

After 1 hour game time the plaster dries and the coating turns from grey to white, breaking the dried block drops the entire white coated block, right clicking with chisel in hand and a hammer on the hot bar (on any chisel mode) will remove the white coating from the frame and drop it as plaster powder so that frames can be recovered

Once plaster is applied to a wooden frame it stops being affected by gravity unless the plaster dries and is then chiseled off.

Original OP

Here is a possible crafting recipe for this block. It would yield 1-3 blocks, I'm not sure which number is better balanced. Any plank type could be used.

Posted Image

Characteristics

-This block would not be affected by gravity, making it a versatile building material. 

-By using planks it restricts this block to the metal age.

-Currently maintaining sheep is pointless, once you have a few beds you can make all your bows and fishing rods etc from spider silk. Historically sheep were much more used and useful. I think adding a block like this would give players incentive to maintain a healthy flock, regularly shear them and actually use the wool for something.

Fancy Extra Bits

-If more than one type of plank is used the block defaults to a generic wood color for the border. Using only one type of plank could make the wood frame be that color

-The block could be dyed using the existing dyes in TFC, only the white wool part of the block would be affected by dye.

These last 2 suggestions would make a butt-load of different sub ID's for this block but they would look really neat, especially the different color wood frames.

I like you idea and it would be cool, plus with player temps coming up it could be used to keep heat in a enclosed space. The second part i think the multi colored wood is kinda crossing the line, but the different colors of wool would be fitting. The reason on mixing wood is that just isn't how TFC recipes are done, having a different colors based on wood is good, but mixing wood colors on a block creates too many textures to make, and too many things to code. Like how each wood has a door, but you can't mix woods on a door.

(this post was made when the OP was up, before changes to the post were made.)

You didn't read my original post properly. 

-If more than one type of plank is used the block defaults to a generic wood color for the border.

Also, making different blocks retain heat differently in every and all different houses people build would take an outrageous amount of serious coding with very little benefit. I'm comfortable saying it will never be a thing.

This idea is awesome !!! It will make a perfect building material for middle-game players, along with all the types of bricks and wood planks. The planks which are used in crafting grid should be all the same type. This wiil make (My opinion) more sense, and will make the code-writing (Just i believe, I know nothing about creating and expanding a mod) easy for developers.

I like the idea of adding this type of block design, but such structures were made with beams filled in with clay or plaster and whitewashed, not wool.

I was looking at my herd of sheep and thinking how useless they were shortly before I posted this. While using wool is not realistic I think it's believable enough that it won't distract from game-play. The fact that it would create a use for wool is a major aspect of this suggestion.

I still think the wool could be used. Your original recipe would remain the same, but the wool could be replaced with a new item, a mixture of clay and yarn, making some sort of filling material.

Instead of making it a block, what if it was a panel, like glass panes or iron bars? 

IMO that would make it a lot less versatile. Unless you could make both blocks and panels, speaking as a builder I would prefer the full-block.

hmm, how about the recipe given makes the panel versions, and 4 panels(plus possible clay[block?]) gives a block?

Just because texture packs make it so, doesn't make the actual material wool. It is unbelievable that hunks of wool in a plank frame would be able to support anything, much less a house.What is being represented is usually a really light and smooth cobblestone from what I can tell.

-___- So crafting 4 planks into a plank block can support a house.

But using the same 4 planks and covering the block in a sheet of wool would collapse if a butterfly landed on it. Go mine cobble and lug it back to your house one block at a time, any more than that is too heavy to be believable.

I made a possible new crafting recipe. Now It's a nice sturdy plank block with cloth stretched over it, hopefully you can look at this without the dreaded unbelievable panic attacks.

Posted Image

Let's not miss the forest for the trees.

I may have explained things wrong. Rather didn't explain and assumed you knew what I was saying. I was imagining it like the example, binding wool with some sticks and thinking that is useful. The main point I was trying to come across was wool in those packs is just used because there are a limited number of blocks one can texture in vanilla. There was never at any point in time wallpaper made of wool, and incredibly wall siding as well (imagine that!). As I said before you could have the same effect making a new stone recipe, but it seems like you just need to move that little texture you like so much onto the block of your choice.

Plaster would be more historically accurate... something like carpenter's blocks where you build a frame then apply a ball of clay to it, then after a day in the sun it turns white would be more realistic and I'm not totally opposed to that notion. The reason I chose a wool-covered plank concept for the OP was because wool is currently useless and I wanted to have both a nice new block and a reason to keep sheep all in one.

I'd been considering texturing clay blocks and/or adobe blocks (from extrafirma) with this pattern for my RP.

Plaster would be more historically accurate... something like carpenter's blocks where you build a frame then apply a ball of clay to it, then after a day in the sun it turns white would be more realistic and I'm not totally opposed to that notion. The reason I chose a wool-covered plank concept for the OP was because wool is currently useless and I wanted to have both a nice new block and a reason to keep sheep all in one.

Then.. what if we could stick wool on blocks like metal sheets?

If wool blocks are unbelievable, we can go with wool wallpaper, right?

Then.. what if we could stick wool on blocks like metal sheets?

If wool blocks are unbelievable, we can go with wool wallpaper, right?

From a builder's perspective that makes a nightmare. Because the wool would then take up the block it was placed in, not on... Adding detail and structure around those wool covered blocks is near-impossible :/

To be effective the block itself would need the texture. Some people might just say make a resource pack and paint a block to look like that but TFC is meant for SMP and ideally buildings look good regardless of texture packs.

To be effective the block itself would need the texture. Some people might just say make a resource pack and paint a block to look like that but TFC is meant for SMP and ideally buildings look good regardless of texture packs.

I get that, but resource packs tend to be a bit more specific.  The block we're looking at in this thread is for a really narrow building style -- tudor.  While beautiful and cool, it's feel is very period specific, and not necessarily what everyone will want for their minecraft experience.  Thus, imo, this type of thing is best relegated to resource packs.

I get that, but resource packs tend to be a bit more specific.  The block we're looking at in this thread is for a really narrow building style -- tudor.  While beautiful and cool, it's feel is very period specific, and not necessarily what everyone will want for their minecraft experience.  Thus, imo, this type of thing is best relegated to resource packs.

If people don't want their buildings to have that block then they simply don't use it, simple as that. I don't understand why you are so objective towards a little more variety... no one is forcing you to use a block you don't want to.

From a builder's perspective that makes a nightmare. Because the wool would then take up the block it was placed in, not on... Adding detail and structure around those wool covered blocks is near-impossible :/

Um, if we made the wool 'cover' a entity instead of a block, will that work(like item frames or something)?

What if we make it so if you right-click a block with wool, the wool is used up and the side you right-click on gets the wool's texture? Is that possible?

But I would prefer if the wool block did not have any frames, or if there was a unframed variety of wool blocks.

Because sometimes, you might want to use wool but not have it covered in wooden frames crisscrossing everywhere

I do like the idea of this new block, however I must agree with anttimatergizmo in the fact that it shouldn't necessarily be made from wool. I agree that kind of a block is a nice addition to the game, and I hope it does get added however it may be crafter, weather that be wool, cobble or most intriguing to me, the method you suggested with a wooden frame and drying clay onto it. I understand there are limited uses for wool currently, and it would be a fantastic use, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be. However, it would be great to see new uses for wool that were(are) actual used in the history of man kind, such as wool clothing. I really hope to see it being used in B 79 with the new body temperature system having been implemented, having some sort of protection from the cold using wool clothing would be a realistic use in my mind.

Um, if we made the wool 'cover' a entity instead of a block, will that work(like item frames or something)?What if we make it so if you right-click a block with wool, the wool is used up and the side you right-click on gets the wool's texture? Is that possible?

Think of how many entities you will have to create just to cover the walls of a room with wool. It will definitely cause more lag than it is worth.

If people don't want their buildings to have that block then they simply don't use it, simple as that. I don't understand why you are so objective towards a little more variety... no one is forcing you to use a block you don't want to.

To be clear, I wouldn't object to them adding it; I just think that niche blocks like this might be more style specific than they'd like.  Also, these blocks look much better at higher resolutions and when paired with CTM, both of which are the purview of resource packs. 

Um, if we made the wool 'cover' a entity instead of a block, will that work(like item frames or something)?

What if we make it so if you right-click a block with wool, the wool is used up and the side you right-click on gets the wool's texture? Is that possible?

But I would prefer if the wool block did not have any frames, or if there was a unframed variety of wool blocks.

Because sometimes, you might want to use wool but not have it covered in wooden frames crisscrossing everywhere

Making the wool into an entity will cause lag, as an entity has heath and stats that are keep track of and such. With the texture change thing that should be fine, as many mods such as carpenters blocks do this in their mechanics.

Honestly, I don't see what y'all are bitching about. The OP seemed alright, though I liked the recipe he changed it to with the wood block a bit better.

Still though, this would be a nice way of sprucing things up before the advent of paint.