Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anaminus

Wolf Aleles (To simulate breeds)

12 posts in this topic

I've been studying Mendle's Laws a few years ago and playing around Forestry gave me this idea. Wolfs spawn with recessive/dominant aleles which determine its fur color (and maybe something else like attack/defence, idk). Basically, the mechanic would be like this:

White

Golden

Black

Dark Red

Dark Blue

Grey

Blonde

"Ash"

Dominant

Recessive

Upon spawning the wolf, it would get 4 different aleles (One for each of the following):

Legs

Head

Body

Tail

and the alele would be either dominant or ressesive and be one of the colors I put on the list mentioned earlier. When breeding wolfs, this can lead to interesting color combinations and it would be something more to play/spend time with. This is my basic idea, I'd like to hear your opinions on it. Of course, the colors on the list would have some sort of priority to break ties (Ex: Dominant Golden and Dominant Grey). It could also be implemented in other animals (obviously with some modification as I don't think a golden-colored cow exists)

TL;DR: Using Mendle's laws to have different colored animals.

I think that wolves would look pretty weird if they had different colours for their legs, head, body and tail each. Also, I think that 8 colours is a bit excessive, and dark red and blue aren't really possible colours for wolf fur (not to mention golden and blonde are almost exactly the same thing).

Wolves usually come in 4 colours, namely Brown-Grey, Cream-White, White-Grey and Black-Grey. I don't like your original system where each colour was its own allele, since the system will be really messy, and that you can't identify the disabled allele (more recessive allele) in a wolf without breeding it with a wolf that has both alleles already identified (which causes an infinite loop of "I can't tell what genes my freaking wolf has).

Instead, I will opt for a more organized and easier to understand system comprising of 2 genes with 2 possible alleles which work together to specify the colour of the wolf. The two genes that dictate the colour are the "shade" gene (which has a "light" allele (recessive) and a "dark" allele (dominant)) and a "vibrancy" gene (which has a "coloured" allele (dominant) and a "plain" allele (recessive)).

The "shade" gene specifies the lightness of the fur, with Cream-White or White-Grey resulting from a "light" allele, and Brown-Grey and Black-Grey resulting from a "dark" allele. The "vibrancy" gene specifies the hue of the fur, with Brown-Grey or Cream-White resulting from a "coloured" allele (brownish fur), and White-Grey and Black-Grey resulting from a "plain" allele (non-brownish fur). Therefore, the most common colour of fur would be Brown-Grey, and the least common would be White-Grey.

This system is better because you are dealing with 2 genes with 2 alleles each, instead of 1 gene with 8 alleles. Disabled alleles can can only be 1 of 2 possibilities, so predicting results and selective breeding can be done more easily and accurately.

Pictures of wolves:

Brown-Grey

Posted Image

Cream-White
Posted Image

White-Grey
Posted Image

Black-Grey

Posted Image

Alleles... Yes, I have wanted to implement a basic form of genetics into animals for a while, and I plan to. Currently, they store some basic traits that just mix between parents, such as size, aggression, strength, climate adaptability, etc. but some stronger genetics might be interesting, if it was useful.

I think it would be cool for different areas to have animals with different traits, and then the ability to mix them to see what you can get. This will require a (currently planned) feature of being able to more accurately examine the traits an animal has.

I think I'd also enlist the help of EternalUndeath, who I know has degrees in genetics / biology. He could probably supply some useful information here.

Genetics? Biology?  Gaming? My high school biology teacher may help you with that, specially if it's for a game, I might help you a bit with this, just ask.

Anyways the idea is amazing, it will be like an improved version of horses, I  can imagine making breeds out of it, it's amazing really.

I  can imagine making breeds out of it

That's the plan :)

the challenge is making it interesting, useful, intuitive, not-too-quick-and-not-too-slow, fun, and incorporating it into a cohesive game

I think I'd also enlist the help of EternalUndeath, who I know has degrees in genetics / biology. He could probably supply some useful information here.

Posted Image

I have a question.

What traits of animals are passed down by genetics and what are developed as the animal grows by environment and such?

I have a question.

What traits of animals are passed down by genetics and what are developed as the animal grows by environment and such?

Those are both veeeeeery long lists, if you're talking about IRL. You'll have to be a bit more specific

I am of the opinion that advanced genetics and animal breeds have the potential to be very useful with horses (provided more horse features are added such as carts)

However, in some cultures dogs were used as pack animals, and pulling sleds for transportation so I can see this being a very versatile and fun mini-game within TFC.

Breeding dobermans as guard dogs, huskeys as pack animals and chiwawas as a food source comes to mind. :P

Those are both veeeeeery long lists, if you're talking about IRL. You'll have to be a bit more specific

Ok, then what bits of that very long list would be nice if added in-game?

I have a question.

If I'm not mistaken, every genetic trait is passed down to the offspring. If the animal has blue eyes, that gene is passed down. If the animal has big muscles, that is not a gene and it will not be passed down to the offspring. Having big muscles were obtained by the animal from excercising, not genetically.

Exactly, unless fast muscular growth is a trait. But this is how it will more or less work, sort of innacurate, but it's a simple way to understand the way genes are passed through. Most of us learnt this in middle school :P

B= Brown eyes b= blue eyes (The capitalised B is the dominant gene, whilst the b is the recessive gene)

Father: Bb Mother: Bb (Both brown eyes, as it's the dominant gene, but the blue eyed gene is still there)

There's a 75% chance that the offspring will have brown eyes, 50% will still remain with the blue eyed gene, and 25% will only be brown eyed. The remaining 25% will be entirely blue eyed, or bb. 

Anyways, I think this is the simplest way to add genetics, and not going to complicated with the coding, but the more produced, the better I guess.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0