Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Maga

Better Cooking [updated again!]

38 posts in this topic

Instead of asking devs to add another 6 plants for spices, I plan to have many of the complex dishes have 2 crafting recipes, one using basic ingredients and one that would include things like olives, onions, garlic etc. These would have the *savory tooltip and would have a taste boost applied as well as weigh more.

Decided I'm going to be changing this a little bit. Complex foods having 2 recipes with a savory tooltip is a little too much. Instead the savory status is reserved for stews made in the cauldron that have small amounts of these gross-when-raw foods. Bowls of savory stew would be 8oz instead of the regular 5oz. These raw ingredients will still be used in complex recipes. Many complex recipes will simply have several ways to craft them (ie, making the shepard's pie with 2 interchangeable 60oz portions of beens, maize, carrots or onions)

um, say, that hunger draining 3x as fast for the 'feasting mode'......

Won't that be.. well.. somewhat deadly to starting players who don't have enough food?

Feasting would be optional and could be turned off before the time ran out if you wanted to stop.

If your stupid enough to enter feasting mode without any food on hand and then not exit before you starve then you deserve to have your character die.

I'm thinking of making complex recipes into 2 categories, one being regular meals and the other being desserts.

For every ounce of dessert eaten you get a speed buff for 3 seconds followed by a slowness debuff for 6 seconds. The effect would stack so that eating for example, a 12 ounce bite of rum cake would give you speed for 36 seconds followed by slowness for 72 seconds. (numbers kinda arbitrary at this point)

Eating something like 20+ pounds of dessert at once during a feast (where you can still eat while full) would kill you since I don't want players cooking a million desserts then farming a speed buff that lasts an in-game week (because once it changes to slowness people could just stand by a bed in a safe house to starve to death AFK over and over until the slowness wears off)

It would be useful for running to where you died, evading hoards of monsters and getting an edge in pvp skirmishes.

SHEPARD'S PIE -- 9 kilograms of stuff

That's a hell of a pie you have right there.

I think we should have one of those spit roast thingys(you know, skewer a meat with a stick and cook it over a fire) for mid-game way of cooking meat over a fire.

That's a hell of a pie you have right there.

That's the best kind of pie :D Considering that a vessel can hold 40lbs of basic foods, and that pies and casseroles etc can't be stored in a vessel they need to be heavy or they won't get any use.

I think we should have one of those spit roast thingys(you know, skewer a meat with a stick and cook it over a fire) for mid-game way of cooking meat over a fire.

I considered that you needed to craft meat with a stick before you could cook it in a fire pit of coals, but really, since meat would be the only thing that does this I don't see any benefit to adding a rather pointless step for people to go through before they get their first pork chops.

Shish kebabs might be kinda fun though.

I think the "French onion soup" should be renamed to just "onion soup". France didn't really exist in TFC's timeline,and even if it did,i would doubt that the player knew about french food?

Maybe there can be two kinds of sweet? one thats natural sweet, (doesnt give you speed/haste but its healthier) and sugar sweet ( gives you speed/haste sometimes but too much in a short period of time can hurt you)

What about player relaxation and starvation on the time of eating? Say, a player is eating in a hurry, running around. He would only get 80% of the taste bonus. Another player sits on a comfy chair, eating from a plate with silver-silverware. He would get a big bonus because he savors every taste on the meal. Something around 150%.

But, if a player is starving, he would eat anything. Forget that sick taste of onions. It's food! although the player would throw up sometimes later... nausea

BTW, I think the cauldron should use 2 double plate instead of one.

And now, as my thread got locked and asked to post on the right thread, I found this thread again. 

You could store grains, flours and doughs inside the vessel in a liquid form. Every .5 oz of grain is 1 mB(25 stack). Every .8 oz of flour is 1 mB(40 stack, but you need to give space for water, so it's 20). The grains and flours can only be inserted at the multiples of the above. You could then seal it, shift-right click it to the ground and fire it. There are two ways to set the level of cooking, either by using different amount of logs or stopping the fire pit after some hours. I personally want the latter. 

You can cook food in a wooden bucket in real life.

What you do is heat rocks in a fire, then when they're really hot, you add them to the bucket filled with water and ingredients. A few rocks is enough to quickly bring the bucket to a boil and cook your food.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/sterms/qt/stone_boiling.htm

http://formontana.net/boiling.html

http://stoneageskills.com/articles/boilingwithhotstones.html

Edited by Kittychanley
Be careful to word your suggestions so it doesn't sound like something you can already do in-game.

I honestly don't see the necessity for clay ovens. They could be bypassed altogether, making baking a completely higher-tiered method of cooking that requires one to enter the copper age.