Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Body Temperature Mechanics and Implementation

35 posts in this topic

Yup, it does rain everywhere in the world, including deserts, while it will be quite interesting to have rain vary per region (According to Bioxx' twitter, there's apparently humid and drier regions) But the minecraft code is quite picky on this, and it will require to remake weather on the game. 

Regarding clothing drying, some houses where I live have these drying rooms where the chimney's vent passes through and there are hanging racks for wet/cold clothes and dries them up within the night and are ready to use by morning. Or we simply have drying racks or nails besides the chimney. Something similar to armour racks (Or even those) to be put near anything that produces heat. Or maybe like Tinker's Construct drying racks.

Are we going to have temperature drops at night? Or do we already have it and I just didn't notice?

Since our homes will be hotter with all the furnaces and hopefully ovens I think a clothes line could serve as storage for clothes and a place to dry then off.

Are we going to have temperature drops at night? Or do we already have it and I just didn't notice?

That's already in the game and you just didn't notice.

Thanks. Kitty.

I think we will all notice once we need to heat up for the night.

vanilla minecraft is so old-fashioned B)

That's already in the game and you just didn't notice.

Make it oscillate a bit more? It barely varies around 1-2 deegres.

I think one of the important things for body temperature is a proper UI so that players can easily keep track of it. Easiest solution I think would be to have an indicator in one corner of the screen with a symbol in it. It would have to be able to communicate all relevant information, such as the air temperature (ie whether it's cold, warm or comfortable) and whether you're currently able to withstand it. Maybe a little box with a snowflake if it's particularly cold, a little flame if it's particularly warm and like a smiley face if it's comfortable. By default, a green border around this symbol would indicate that you are able to withstand the temperature comfortably and for a long time. A yellow border would indicate that you're a little uncomfortable but that you're not in any immediate danger. An orange border would mean "This isn't fun and you should probably fix this". A red border would mean "stop what you're doing and deal with this NOW".

I say "default" because I know some people find green and red a little difficult to distinguish, so there might be a config option for it.

Make it oscillate a bit more? It barely varies around 1-2 deegres.

I think it would be interesting to have temperature drops at night time.

That would require warmer clothes and/or a warm fire.

No idea if is possible to make temperature variation change by biome but the less vegetation and humidity the more drastic the temperatures change from day to night.

So in the deserts temperatures may vary by as much as 30 degrees in one day. 

I think it would be interesting to have temperature drops at night time.

That would require warmer clothes and/or a warm fire.

No idea if is possible to make temperature variation change by biome but the less vegetation and humidity the more drastic the temperatures change from day to night.

So in the deserts temperatures may vary by as much as 30 degrees in one day. 

This is usually because silica has a low heat capacity compared to water, which deserts have very little of.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-capacity-d_391.html

Heat capacity is also why oceans don't usually freeze. Might see about implementing that in some way.

Hello dunk, I'm wondering if the dev team have thought up about the effects of extreme temperatures to the body? In medicine, we have a gradient between (on complete external influence of temperature, not including fever)

frostbite/cold stroke - hypothermia - cold stress - normal range - heat stress - heat stroke.

What this means is to take account of the body's Heat capacity as well, and in certain temps (I have to consult my books for that), the body start to decompose/take damage due to the large gradient between temperatures as well as from denaturation of the enzymes and proteins meaning that the more extreme the temperature goes the more damage the body will take and will certainly affect the performance of the metabolism inside the body. What this means in TFC might be that Steve will slow down and have hazy sights for example before succumbing to damage or even blunt out fainting, or in the most extreme cases, death, but from programming point of view I can understand that these whole effects might not pass to the game, but just a little bit of simulation on this will make the game much more fun and challenging.  :)