Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jivix

Prospectors' pick madness

41 posts in this topic

In the Pre 38 change log:

"Using a propick directly on an ore block will now tell you exactly what type of ore that you’re looking at."

I am personally 100% fine with how the Pro-Pick works now.

In the Pre 38 change log:

"Using a propick directly on an ore block will now tell you exactly what type of ore that you’re looking at."

I am personally 100% fine with how the Pro-Pick works now.

Me too!

Posted Image

This time I forgot to count how many gave false-negatives but it's roughly 40%.

Heh. And Bioxx said "The propick can't lie." Obviously it can. Far more than a third of the time. I'm sure there are those that love the fact that the propick isn't 100% accurate.

Personally, it is because it isn't 100% accurate over a very wide swath of space is why I stick to tree farms.

I -get- not knowing which direction to dig- that is okay to me and would make it fun. This 'not knowing where to dig -and getting 40% false negatives' is why I find it too frustrating and why I stay clear of the mines.

Heh. And Bioxx said "The propick can't lie." Obviously it can. Far more than a third of the time. I'm sure there are those that love the fact that the propick isn't 100% accurate.

Personally, it is because it isn't 100% accurate over a very wide swath of space is why I stick to tree farms.

I -get- not knowing which direction to dig- that is okay to me and would make it fun. This 'not knowing where to dig -and getting 40% false negatives' is why I find it too frustrating and why I stay clear of the mines.

Guess why it's called veins of ore and not big blocks of ore.

IRL, if you find traces at one spot, there might be none 1 meter to the left, but ofc the closer you get the more traces you find.

ONE question to all pro pick haters, would it br less frustrating if it was more ore in the worlds?

For those of you who want 'are more accurate version':

Quoted from :http://en.wikipedia....ral_exploration

The success rate of exploration and the return on investment is low because exploration is an inherently risky business. Figures for success rates depend on the commodity in question but a good strike rate can be measured in the oil industry; the supergiant Prudhoe Bay oilfield was found on the 12th well drilled into the area. Within gold deposits a discovery hole may be one in one thousand and within some base metals commodities strike rates range from one in fifty to one in one hundred.

So even in today's high tech world, prospectors/miners are worse off than we in TerraFirmaCraft are..

Would you like to trade the ProPick for some tech that will require you to dig fifty boreholes for an even chance of a strike?

ONE question to all pro pick haters, would it br less frustrating if it was more ore in the worlds?

I think it would be a lot more frustrating if there was more ore. I'd be changing directions constantly while tracking down one vein if there were 2 in the area.

The Pro Pick cannot lie, if it finds something, its there. It checks every single ore in its defined area and returns one of the ores that it found along with a reading that tells you a vague amount. Again, it's not possible for the Pro Pick to lie.

Read it a bit more carefully. When he says it cannot lie, he means more like the Pro-Pick won't tell you there are traces of a certain ore when there are none in the area.

Read it a bit more carefully. When he says it cannot lie, he means more like the Pro-Pick won't tell you there are traces of a certain ore when there are none in the area.

But saying that there isn't any trace while actually there is, it's a lie. If the ProPick had 100% chance but smaller range I wouldn't mind. I prefere strip-mining to pro-pick mining, I find this 40% too much to work with.

I guess if Pro-Pick chance was greater the closer you were to the ore would be cool. Like in 24 blocks 99% of false-negatives, 12 blocks 50%, 1 block 100%...

For those of you who want 'are more accurate version':

Quoted from :http://en.wikipedia....ral_exploration

So even in today's high tech world, prospectors/miners are worse off than we in TerraFirmaCraft are..

Would you like to trade the ProPick for some tech that will require you to dig fifty boreholes for an even chance of a strike?

This game isn't about realism. So yeah... If digging metals was about 100 times harder this mod would be so boring/frustrating that nobody would play.

But saying that there isn't any trace while actually there is, it's a lie. If the ProPick had 100% chance but smaller range I wouldn't mind. I prefere strip-mining to pro-pick mining, I find this 40% too much to work with.

I guess if Pro-Pick chance was greater the closer you were to the ore would be cool. Like in 24 blocks 99% of false-negatives, 12 blocks 50%, 1 block 100%...

IWhat I meant by that was that I believed DarkLadyPhoenix was misunderstanding what Bioxx specifically meant by lying. He said "if" it finds anything, implying there is a chance to fail in the first place. It will not lie about the quantity within its scanning range or what type it is. He did not say if there was something in the area that it would always detect it.

This game isn't about realism. So yeah... If digging metals was about 100 times harder this mod would be so boring/frustrating that nobody would play.

While it is not about realism, Bioxx has said he keeps it that way out of respect for the people that do this in real life. Check it out yourself in the pinned topic called "In regards to the Prospecting Pick" in the Suggestions section.

one does not discuss a negative bit about the propick, one will forever swear that the propick is good and does not need to be reworked, unto the pain of death via propick to the head :D

but seriously, its a skill you gotta learn, DEAL WITH IT

Hey, both of you. This thread is from May, it was long dead, and there was abso-f+cking-lutely no reason to bring it back up, even less for a bad joke -__- so why don't we let this dive in this section's pages again?

if dead why leave it open?

if there is an upgrade on the functioning of propick please send me the link thanks

There isn't and there won't be any accrding to Bioxx himself, so yeah ._: nothing to send you.

And only threads in which flame wars start or derails go to far are locked, the rest are left to just die. Try to check the date of the last post before posting, so you avoid bringing back up dead threads.

EDIT: Just now realized thread is very old. Sorry bout that. Can't see any way to delete my post though.

There is no way you can delete your own posts, unless you are a moderator.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0