Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
raymondbh

Shears recipe

39 posts in this topic

The "vanilla" recipe for shears could have been more in the tread with TCF's "mindset".

Suggeston to shears recipe: Weld two knife blades together.

Sounds like a reasonable recipe.  In any case it should be an anvil recipe.

If the knife blades will be weld together it will be impossible to move them, I think it should be possible to create screws in the anvil and then craft them with the knife blades. This way sheers will still require iron. Their durability will depend on the material the knife blades are made of, which is great.

If the knife blades will be weld together it will be impossible to move them, I think it should be possible to create screws in the anvil and then craft them with the knife blades. This way sheers will still require iron. Their durability will depend on the material the knife blades are made of, which is great.

I'd be more inclined to use a rivet than a screw. Involves simpler tools and you could sort of encode the process in an anvil recipe already -- something like draw [not last], punch [not last], upset [last] (ok, peining a rivet isn't exactly upsetting, but whatever).

Rivet and screw are both a new item that would in this case added just for the sake of being able to craft shears. (We aren't going to go into other uses that can be added here, let's keep it all together)

You also seem to think of the shears as a bigger variant of scissors.

Now I challenge thee to look at these bad boys and repeat that you need screws while looking at their angry faces.

Posted Image

In short, I like the idea of welding knife blades. Requiring screws is unreasonable.

Oh, and I would definitely like to have shears before iron. A kind of shears can be (and were indeed) made out of sharpened stones. I don't think we shouls neccessarily add shears as a stone age tool, copper ones are good enough.

Draw->punch->upset is just a technique sequence that vaguely represents making and setting a rivet. No need to make an extra item actually appear and get used up during those three moves.

And yes, I was thinking of something more like pruning shears. Welding probably would be more appropriate for sheep shears.

Bioxx and I both like the 2 knife blade recipe for shears.

The question is, if this was implemented would we remove the functionality of using a knife to shear sheep? Currently there is no motive to make shears since you can get wool using just a stone knife, and you aren't supposed to be able to use shears to gather leaf blocks (the blocks you do currently get are bugged and aren't supposed to happen).

The question is, if this was implemented would we remove the functionality of using a knife to shear sheep? Currently there is no motive to make shears since you can get wool using just a stone knife, and you aren't supposed to be able to use shears to gather leaf blocks (the blocks you do currently get are bugged and aren't supposed to happen).

Can't you get vines this way?  Granted, not a huge use, but present...

Can't you get vines this way?  Granted, not a huge use, but present...

You can indeed get vines, tall grass and short grass using shears. The question is though that if we expand on shears and make one for each metal type, whether or not to remove the knife shearing sheep functionality.

If its a vote, I vote remove knife shear functionality

Before machine shears were invented, the go to instrument for shearing sheep was hand shears

It also gives a reason to make the shears

Of course someone could also argue that you can shear a sheep less efficiently with a knife. So it could also be a less efficient tool (maybe you get less wool and damage the sheep?)

The only final product you can make from wool in the stone age is carpet -- all the other final products require the 3x3 crafting grid of the metal age. So it wouldn't change much to drop the knife-wool function, as long as you can make the shears with at minimum copper knife blades.The anvil GUI doesn't currently allow you to put two items in the working slot though.

I would vote to remove knife shear capability, as long as shears could be crafted with at least copper. Sleeping through the night should be a relatively early game benefit.

The only final product you can make from wool in the stone age is carpet -- all the other final products require the 3x3 crafting grid of the metal age. So it wouldn't change much to drop the knife-wool function, as long as you can make the shears with at minimum copper knife blades.

You'd still go through the process of making a copper anvil and have the minimal amount of copper to make the two knife blades, as well you would have to have found flux to weld them together. Adds a bit of length to the process, which I think is a good thing.

Of course someone could also argue that you can shear a sheep less efficiently with a knife. So it could also be a less efficient tool (maybe you get less wool and damage the sheep?)

I agree with making knifes so cumbersome on the shearing that it gives you a reason to make the shears.

So knifes work but only barely.

You can indeed get vines, tall grass and short grass using shears. The question is though that if we expand on shears and make one for each metal type, whether or not to remove the knife shearing sheep functionality.

I'd remove the ability to shear sheeps with a knife, especially stone. I mean, nobody of us is a professional barber, not even them could be able to shear a sheep with a knife, and if they managed to, I guess you wouldn't get a wool block, but just strings.

If we have shears in Copper or Bronze age, i wouldnt mind seeing the knife sheep ability disapear.

Tbh i never really conciderd making any better knifes then stone (scyth for staws ftw), maybe this change would promote making them ;)

wool as a construction block is totally unbelievable and it should not be a part of terrafirmacraft.

That said caveman was able to sheer using stone knifes. off course metal sheers are better.

Remember body temperature is been added to the mod so we will have a lot more uses for wool.

I'd remove the ability to shear sheeps with a knife, especially stone. I mean, nobody of us is a professional barber, not even them could be able to shear a sheep with a knife, and if they managed to, I guess you wouldn't get a wool block, but just strings.

Sheep don't drop wool blocks... they drop an item that looks like a big wad of fluff.

Looks more like a big dust bunny to me.

I suppose shears can give 2~3 wool, and knives give 0~1 wool or something like that.

I mean, if we have to wield two knives for a shear, even if it can be made with copper, it'll take a bit of time before we can get wool, and if body temperature needs us to get wool clothing to not freeze, I'd rather that I can get that wool before I get a anvil opposed to lighting fires every night and hoping I don't freeze to death or something.

Or we could just have a mold/schematic for shears.

That's exactly how i think it should be.

Terrafirmacraft is not realistic but it tries to follow how humanity developed technology.

Most times people tend to downgrade neolithic achievements.

Posted Image

That structure was  a water well  around 5200 BC using only stones no metal.

So yeah stone knifes can do a lot more than people think.

Yeah sorry, I didn't manage to shear a sheep yet, anyway yes, instead of that ball of fluff you would get shorter strings anyway, because the knife's not so practical like a shear. Anyway I made some metal knives, as weapon against creepers. I also have a copper knife where I store food, so that I don't need to make a new knife everytime I trim the decay. I'll probably ugrade it to bismuth bronze when it will break, so it'll last longer.

If this is added, shears will be made from iron. Knife shearing won't be removed either. Shears may also get a use in a future clothing-making mechanic.

I think copper shears are believable and maybe needed for early clothing.

I agree with the idea of making knifes a lot less efficient for shearing as they should be.

We should at least be able to get some strings for early game use. 

I think copper shears are believable and maybe needed for early clothing.

I think he said iron because copper and other metals don't react good to constant bending. Copper is easily workable, and bending it everytime you use the shears could easily break it. Same for the copper alloys, but that's just my thoughts.

The "If this is added" makes it sound like shears would start at iron tier for balance reasons rather than realism reasons.

And a shear requirement for a "clothing-making mechanic", does not imply shears would be required for all forms of clothing