Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexDC

Random Durability

7 posts in this topic

The new addition to the anvils to make the crafted tools durability correspond to the quality of the craft was great but I would like to see some changes made to the durability regarding how it decreases so predictably. If the items degraded a little more randomly it would encourage the player to be more prepared as there tools durability would not be as indefinite as shown.

This could be implemented by adding a random element to how tools are damaged rather than having a consistent value.

This would more accurately represent the effect of a tool generally being totally fine for a long period of time and then suddenly breaking or becoming significantly damage.

Or we could get status "icon badges" giving an approximate reading of the duravility ("flawless" / "slightly used" / "worn" / "nearly broken" ) instead of the bar. No need to add extrange logic in the creation of tools, no need for extra data in the tool and most of the players forget how many clicks they already did...

EDIT: however, I like that "it suddently broke" idea, so the badges shouldn't mark equal percentages (maybe anything between 99% and 20% of use should be "slightly used").

And I like that random "it broke", but it should be for certain materials only, or it should leave a broken tool that may be fixed (at least partially) with the right tools. Maybe anvil, maybe we could need a sharpening stone.

And I like that random "it broke", but it should be for certain materials only, or it should leave a broken tool that may be fixed (at least partially) with the right tools. Maybe anvil, maybe we could need a sharpening stone.

I have a suggestion for a sharpening stone...

It would be cool if you had ''needs repairs'' with the metal tools

I was thinking in this... Types of break:

• Unsharpened: too much cut'n'slash, this tool needs a little sharpening stone. When speaking of weapons, an unsharpened one could make half a heart of damage instead of the full damage for the weapon; makes the manteinance of your war gear more important, and allows for players to deliveratelly use unsharpened weapons for sparring.
  • Broken head: you can add a metal ingot of the same material of the head, and get it repaired. Maybe in the anvil, after heating both pieces, placing the broken tool in the socket for the tool plans. It could use half an ingot, too, so that it's more economic to fix the tool rather than discarding it.
  • Broken handle: this one is brain dead. Give it some hits with a hammer in the forge to cut the tool head loose from the handle, ready to merge with another stick to create a new tool.
  • Broken beyond repair: ouch! tough luck, boy, this one got so wrecked that you better discard it. Maybe you can keep it and use it as a sustitute of a flint tool, except that it will not be of use for turning wood into planks.

yeah as easy as the durability is now, i personally dont think that changing the durability meter is needed. where would the durability indicator show up. cause right now its just on the item sprite as a overlay. but that said, i do think that the random, it just broke, or cutting off the handle cause it broke, kinds of things add spice to games like this. i like the idea

Oh my goodness... I already have enough shocks when my picks break on schedule, I'd probably have a stroke and go grey if they broke at random.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0