Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CtrlXCtrlV

[UPDATED!] Earlygame grass, straw, thatch, sticks changes and adobe

Like the idea? Vote!   8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the main suggestion v2?

• Yeah, great, lets add it in right away!
    • Mostly I like it, but maybe it still needs some work
    • Could be nice, but the way it is is much simpler, lets not make it complicated
    • Well... no, this would only cause problems in balance of the earlygame
    • Shut the f+++ up, this is just bull+++t

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

---Original suggestion---

original name: TFC (massive) Earlygame changes + sticks and planks update

Soooo...

In vanilla minecraft you basicly spawn down, punch wood make a pick, in 10 minutes you have a diamond pick and like everything.

and

Terrafirmacraft is survival mode as it sould have been

So you spawn down knapp some knifes, cut grass (magicly turns into yellow straw) and build a shelter.

So (again) dont get me wrong i love terrafirma,

BUT,

i love it because i love its beautyful evironments and because its realistic as it can be without getting boring (THIS is whats so awesome)

OK so you might have guessed that the 5th line was irony of its realisticness...

BUT you can make that realistic without getting it boring (like the game would get boring if you couldn't carry like 15 tonnes of dirt in your hands, cause then the whole game would be 

about transporting resources)

So ones idea may be like okay so obviously you need to dry that straw, like place it on the ground, fill up to 8 1/8 block with straw, similar with the pit kiln, and wait until it dries, 

like starting from the top and stuff, and also to keep it realistic you can't 2 full block on top of each other, like dirt, it full fall to the side (also the full blocks would replace the 

blocks of thatch,or grass and it would be solid, the others with 7 or less would be ghost blocks, but harder to go through them (like +2 level slowness)

OK, so yeah... great, now its good because you need to wait until... oh wait what about a shelter or something like that, seems usefull on the first night.

This would be the first part of my suggestion, but we need to solve the problems so lets get to it.

NOW, straw/grass lying around, well sometimes this should be blown away by the wind depending on how many blocks are next to it (of course during storms more would be blown away, and under 

rain grass would reset in the drying prosess)

So to make a full block not be blown away by the wind, you'll need to tie it together with 3 pieces of string or wool yarn.

and what you could do it make the pile stronger (and this would also be the way to make a wall) is add some stick

yeah... great but how?

well, the answer is easy: stick would be placable, and it would be different color from different trees.

and how would it look like? like the blocks/miniblocks that are now called planks. those if placed are 1/64 of a block, but if you craft 4 together, you get a plank block. WHAT?!!!!!

so the planks would look like this. 1x1 on the face, 1/8 block wide. These still aren't realistic to get 4 pieces and get a full block, I think, we would need either 6 or 8, depending on 

how you look at them but with chiseling it needs 8. So either
a) we don't change the recipe, so we don't interfere with crafting table crafting
B) or be just wont have plank blocks, just place 8 planks on top of each other

so thats it with planks.

With sticks?

well I was thinking using it so make roofs out of thatch stand, as support beams for straw and grass.

SO maybe this would be my suggestion

but there IS one other thing. and this would fix the problem with shearing leaves. and the first night shelter problem (if it is a problem)

leaves would be ghost blocks. like you can't interact with them. (or only with shears, but you can't get them. or you can but not as blocks but as items to compost it or something)

so a tree would spawn with branches (with look like places sticks cause they are) (and RANDOM braches, and not only one per block), and if you brake them you get sticks.

you might just build a hideout is on/in a tree (you could make ladders)

---End of Original suggestion---

---suggestion v2---

Main suggestion:

Harvesting tall grass with a knife or a scythe would give you grass (not placable vanilla grass of course) which you can place down like a 1/8 slab, in a similar style to straw placing in a pit kiln. This grass would dry in time and turn yellow but this woudn't affecting building with it. These would be like ghost blocks, so you can go through them unless it reached 1 full block. After you build a block with this straw and want to stack more up on top of it, it (the second block) falls over randomly like dirt would.

So in order to build In order to make a wall with that, you'd need to support it with sticks on the side, which would be placable like planks
To make a roof, you'd need to support the straw from underneath.

If you place 1 more straw/grass on top of them (represented by orange carpets, block of thatch and a clay grass block)

post-5113-0-43381400-1405318207_thumb.pn

That won't work, because it'll fall over

post-5113-0-25883600-1405318288_thumb.pn

So placeblack sticks would look like these planks (not their texture) which is needed to support these blocks, min 2 on all sides of grass, only one for straw.

post-5113-0-51802400-1405318546_thumb.pn

explanation (with pictures )for roofs coming soon

Sticks are weak materials, and get break under heavier blocks like dirt, sand, gravel, or any block that can fall exept grass/staw.
They can also be breaken by mobs if collided with them, but it would also break under them (or players) making it ideal for traps (covered by grass) Water could also wash it away.

Side suggestion #01 ADOBE - Block somewhat similar to current thatch:

Maybe we could add a higher tier block which can be used to build huts similar to the ones currently build with thach blocks.

Needs 8 straw (dried), 8 clay, 1 dirt or sand and 4 sticks produces 4 blocks of adobe.

this block could be used as thatch for building, it wouldn't fall down (or be blown away by the wind if that would be a thing still in the suggestion (i might bring it up as a separate suggestion))

Side suggestion #02 Tree branches:

So as I said trees should have branches INSIDE the leaves, and if you destroy all naturaly sticks in a leafblock the leaveblock breaks, otherwise you can't interact with leafblocks maybe only with shears (side-side suggestion) and even then it wouldn't give a block, just something to compost.

BALANCING TIP #01

cutting grass with a knife or scythe would give 1-3 grass, with bare hand this would be 0-1. because of higher cost of thatch block.

Pros of this suggestion:

• [*]
Making straw huts believable [*]Adding adobe which would serve as thatch does now [*]Believable trees, especially in winter [*]Inspiring players to build treehouses or realistic straw huts on day 1 [*]Adding a storage solution for sticks

---end of suggestion v2---

Edited by CtrlXCtrlV

Holy wall of incoherent text... I'll do my best to respond to key points. I've numbered the sentences in the quote, and then numbered my replies down below.

1. i love it because i love its beautyful evironments and because its realistic as it can be without getting boring (THIS is whats so awesome) OK so you might have guessed that the 5th line was irony of its realisticness...

2. So ones idea may be like okay so obviously you need to dry that straw, like place it on the ground, fill up to 8 1/8 block with straw, similar with the pit kiln, and wait until it dries,

3. So to make a full block not be blown away by the wind, you'll need to tie it together with 3 pieces of string or wool yarn.

4. well, the answer is easy: stick would be placable, and it would be different color from different trees.

5. so the planks would look like this. 1x1 on the face, 1/8 block wide. These still aren't realistic to get 4 pieces and get a full block, I think, we would need either 6 or 8, depending on how you look at them but with chiseling it needs 8. 

6. leaves would be ghost blocks. like you can't interact with them. (or only with shears, but you can't get them. or you can but not as blocks but as items to compost it or something)

1. TFC is not trying to be realistic. There are a few very key points regarding this. You can read my signature, as well as the FAQ page for more info. http://terrafirmacraft.com/faq.html

2. This adds absolutely nothing to gameplay other than sit and wait tedium. Many players strongly rely on the thatch hut for their very first shelter. It is hard enough as it is to find enough food and collect enough straw to make that first shelter and survive the first night. Forcing the player to sit around in one spot and wait for the grass to dry is just going to end up killing them.

3. String/Yarn requires either finding sheep or killing spiders, both of which many players agree can be a very difficult task. Making thatch blocks blow away unless you wrap them in string is only going to result in more annoying tedium of constantly having to rebuild your roof/hut. There is also currently no wind in Minecraft, so there is actually nothing to trigger the blocks being blown away. In short, too much effort for not enough reward.

4. Sticks from different trees were already added at one point in the past, but they were removed in the very next build because the inventory management for them all was absolutely horrible. If you really want different colored sticks, there are already addons that add them.

5. Plank items are not entire sheets like you described because if they were you wouldn't have nearly the amount of flexibility in using them as microblocks as you do now. The fact that plank blocks can be chiseled at all is solely due to the fact that Bioxx forgot to remove that feature when he added in placeable plank items. If anything regarding plank items (called lumber in 79) and plank blocks were to be changed, it would be the removal of chiseling the placed blocks. Every other aspect is already properly balanced for enjoyable gameplay.

6. The fact that you can shear leaf blocks and get a block is a bug. The shearing ability of them was supposed to be removed in 78, but apparently wasn't properly implemented. You will not be able to shear leaves and get anything from them in 79.

Holy wall of incoherent text... I'll do my best to respond to key points. I've numbered the sentences in the quote, and then numbered my replies down below.

1. TFC is not trying to be realistic. There are a few very key points regarding this. You can read my signature, as well as the FAQ page for more info. http://terrafirmacraft.com/faq.html

2. This adds absolutely nothing to gameplay other than sit and wait tedium. Many players strongly rely on the thatch hut for their very first shelter. It is hard enough as it is to find enough food and collect enough straw to make that first shelter and survive the first night. Forcing the player to sit around in one spot and wait for the grass to dry is just going to end up killing them.

3. String/Yarn requires either finding sheep or killing spiders, both of which many players agree can be a very difficult task. Making thatch blocks blow away unless you wrap them in string is only going to result in more annoying tedium of constantly having to rebuild your roof/hut. There is also currently no wind in Minecraft, so there is actually nothing to trigger the blocks being blown away. In short, too much effort for not enough reward.

4. Sticks from different trees were already added at one point in the past, but they were removed in the very next build because the inventory management for them all was absolutely horrible. If you really want different colored sticks, there are already addons that add them.

5. Plank items are not entire sheets like you described because if they were you wouldn't have nearly the amount of flexibility in using them as microblocks as you do now. The fact that plank blocks can be chiseled at all is solely due to the fact that Bioxx forgot to remove that feature when he added in placeable plank items. If anything regarding plank items (called lumber in 79) and plank blocks were to be changed, it would be the removal of chiseling the placed blocks. Every other aspect is already properly balanced for enjoyable gameplay.

6. The fact that you can shear leaf blocks and get a block is a bug. The shearing ability of them was supposed to be removed in 78, but apparently wasn't properly implemented. You will not be able to shear leaves and get anything from them in 79.

1. Ok, I understand that, so from now on lets go with believable, that may be a better goal. And what I suggest would make the game indeed more Believable

2. I wouldn't want to add a feature in like this, so maybe I will explain it again:

I have no problem with a thatch hut for a first shelter, I would just make building it somewhat Believable

So lets make thatch fall down similar to the way dirt is, but the placement would be similar to the straw placement to the pit kiln

In order to make a wall with that, you'd need to support it with sticks on the side, which would be placable like planks

To make a roof, you'd need to support the straw from underneath

Now for the drying, it wouldbe mostly for aesthetic, for when you build your hut from grass, it'll be green, after a few days it would turn into the dried straw we use now.

3. This part of the suggestion is deleted, I accept it, however, i might add a side suggestion with a similar purpose (like the string one)

4. Okay no colored sticks, i get it

5. I understand that too, but 4 planks to a plank block isn't excactly Believable

6. I know thats a bug, glad to here its getting fixed, but its just an idea in a side solution, what I will rewrite.

er... don't take away the chiseled plank blocks.  It's realistic, and you can do much more with it than with only planks.

er... don't take away the chiseled plank blocks.  It's realistic, and you can do much more with it than with only planks.

well, not really, you can use different kinds of wood together. but i think they should keep it but make the recipe harder

If anything regarding plank items (called lumber in 79) and plank blocks were to be changed, it would be the removal of chiseling the placed blocks. Every other aspect is already properly balanced for enjoyable gameplay.

Eh, just asking, but if the chiseling planks get taken away, does that mean that we can't have wooden stairs or slabs?

Anyways, I don't like having to carry around and place stacks upon stacks of grass just to build a shelter.

And I think 8straw + 8clay+ dirt=2 thatch is useless.

Right now, with that much stuff, I can get 4 un-gravity effected blocks, and 1 gravity effected block.

If your suggestion is implemented, I can still get 2 un-gravity effected blocks and 1 gravity effected block.

And how are you going to mix 17 things in a 2x2 grid anyways?

Even the crafting table's 3x3 grid won't work, and I'd rather not need a saw to make thatch anyways.

I suppose you can do multiple crafts, but that's just annoying having to do all that just for two lously blocks of thatch that aren't even used that much anyways.

And anyways, that recipe makes no sense whatsoever for thatch. I mean, not even half of that is straw. It's more of a adobe than thatch, really.

Also, please note that if you cannot interact with leaves, you cannot get saplings, although I guess you can say that branches drop saplings as well(I mean, fruit trees do that so.... *shrugs*)

Eh, just asking, but if the chiseling planks get taken away, does that mean that we can't have wooden stairs or slabs?

Maybe you could build that too with planks, but as I said, i also don't want it removed

Anyways, I don't like having to carry around and place stacks upon stacks of grass just to build a shelter.

Okay, so on the first and second night you might stay in a straw shelter (or build a treehouse, or dig a hole under clay) then you can move onto an adobe shelter

And I think 8straw + 8clay+ dirt=2 thatch is useless.

Right now, with that much stuff, I can get 4 un-gravity effected blocks, and 1 gravity effected block.

If your suggestion is implemented, I can still get 2 un-gravity effected blocks and 1 gravity effected block.

And how are you going to mix 17 things in a 2x2 grid anyways?

Even the crafting table's 3x3 grid won't work, and I'd rather not need a saw to make thatch anyways.

I suppose you can do multiple crafts, but that's just annoying having to do all that just for two lously blocks of thatch that aren't even used that much anyways.

And anyways, that recipe makes no sense whatsoever for thatch. I mean, not even half of that is straw. It's more of a adobe than thatch, really.

Okay I forgot you might need some sticks in that recipe too, which makes it exactly 4 kinds of materials, enough for the 2x2 shapless crafting.

I've changed the recipe to: 8 dried straw, 8 clay, 1 dirt or sand, 4 sticks makes 4 blocks of adobe

Now you might say you still get more in the current condition of the game but keep in mind with the 1.7 update terrafirma might change thing about clay/hardend clay.

Also, please note that if you cannot interact with leaves, you cannot get saplings, although I guess you can say that branches drop saplings as well(I mean, fruit trees do that so.... *shrugs*)

Okay, so when you destroy all braches (maturally spawned sticks) inside of a leafblock, de leaves dissapear, but they might drop a sapling

I really like the idea of supporting thatch with sticks, because my dad used to work with thatch, and you know, it bends, it falls off, it's not so stable. Sticks would make this more believable and better looking. Also, I don't think sticks are really a problem to gather, I mean you find them in the trees and even in the ground.

Anyway can you explain me how you mean to support thatch from underneath? Do you want to add sticks that act like the poles you use for mines or horizontally placed sticks that kind of keep the ceiling up?

Like this

_____

[]      []

[]      []

[]      []

And on top of the sticks you put thatch. Did you mean this or something else?

I've changed the recipe to: 8 dried straw, 8 clay, 1 dirt or sand, 4 sticks makes 4 blocks of adobe

Yep but I think I see the problem here. There are 21 crafting ingredients. Basically you need to place 8 dried straw (1 in every slot) then 8 clay (again 1 in every slot) then 1 dirt or sand and then 4 sticks (1 in every slot). Maybe I get what you meant. You wanted to place the 8 clay in a single slot, same for straw and sticks, but you can't. Minecraft doesn't take into consideration how much of an item is in a slot, it will consider that as a single item and will craft the wished thing using up only one of the stacked items. Also I see it difficult implementing such a thing, because if we were able to craft with the crafting bench counting the number of items in every slot, we could have problems when we would make multiple crafts, because you need to fill the slots to make a block/item multiple times, and the crafting bench could confuse that with another recipe that uses that number of blocks/items in every slot.

No, you would just build them using the plank items (lumber), by placing each piece one at a time. You can already build multi-colored wooden stairs/slabs using lumber in 78.

Okay I forgot you might need some sticks in that recipe too, which makes it exactly 4 kinds of materials, enough for the 2x2 shapless crafting.

That's not how crafting recipes work. It's 1 item per slot, that's it. So for 2x2 shapeless crafting you can have 4 different materials, but the recipe can only require one of each item (1 straw + 1 clay + 1 dirt + 1 stick = # adobe). If you want the recipe to require multiples of each item, then it will require multiple slots. So if you want a single crafting recipe that uses 8 straw, 8 clay, 1 dirt and 4 sticks.. you're going to need a crafting grid with 21 slots. Your other option is to split it up into multiple recipes that have at max 4 items like

2 Straw + 2 Clay = 1 Sticky Straw

Craft 4 Sticky Straw to use up the 8 straw and clay.

4 Sticky Straw = 1 Packed Sticky Straw

4 Sticks = 1 Stick Bundle

1 Packed Sticky Straw + 1 Dirt/Sand + 1 Stick Bundle = 4 Adobe Blocks.

I really like the idea of supporting thatch with sticks, because my dad used to work with thatch, and you know, it bends, it falls off, it's not so stable. Sticks would make this more believable and better looking. Also, I don't think sticks are really a problem to gather, I mean you find them in the trees and even in the ground.

Anyway can you explain me how you mean to support thatch from underneath? Do you want to add sticks that act like the poles you use for mines or horizontally placed sticks that kind of keep the ceiling up?

Like this

_____

[]      []

[]      []

[]      []

And on top of the sticks you put thatch. Did you mean this or something else?

for the roofing I thought you need to support the straw at least with 2 sticks under it like this (looking from above and sorry for my terrible acii art) and this would hold like 3 layers of straw/grass and if you add more it can hold more

I

---+----

I

or have at least 3 sticks parallel with each other and that could hold 3 layers as well, but fewer sticks hold nothing.

Or is this too complicated programming?

okay, so about the adobe recipe, I dont want want it to be a 3x3 recipe, so I think about it, because I don't want it to be multiple recipes either

Okay, so adobe crafting...

No, you would just build them using the plank items (lumber), by placing each piece one at a time. You can already build multi-colored wooden stairs/slabs using lumber in 78.

That's not how crafting recipes work. It's 1 item per slot, that's it. So for 2x2 shapeless crafting you can have 4 different materials, but the recipe can only require one of each item (1 straw + 1 clay + 1 dirt + 1 stick = # adobe). If you want the recipe to require multiples of each item, then it will require multiple slots. So if you want a single crafting recipe that uses 8 straw, 8 clay, 1 dirt and 4 sticks.. you're going to need a crafting grid with 21 slots. Your other option is to split it up into multiple recipes that have at max 4 items like

2 Straw + 2 Clay = 1 Sticky Straw

Craft 4 Sticky Straw to use up the 8 straw and clay.

4 Sticky Straw = 1 Packed Sticky Straw

4 Sticks = 1 Stick Bundle

1 Packed Sticky Straw + 1 Dirt/Sand + 1 Stick Bundle = 4 Adobe Blocks.

I had an idea. would it be possible to craft adobe like this:

get to a block of water (can be flowing, salty or anything) drop in the 8 straw, 4 sticks, 8 clay, then right click (place) with a dirt/sand block and you'll have 4 adobe?

How do you like the idea? Is it possible to code it? Is it possible to code that you trow more stuff in, but it leaves the not use straw/sticks/clay in the water, and can be used for for another go?

Okay, so adobe crafting...

I had an idea. would it be possible to craft adobe like this:

get to a block of water (can be flowing, salty or anything) drop in the 8 straw, 4 sticks, 8 clay, then right click (place) with a dirt/sand block and you'll have 4 adobe?

How do you like the idea? Is it possible to code it? Is it possible to code that you trow more stuff in, but it leaves the not use straw/sticks/clay in the water, and can be used for for another go?

Now this is a nice idea. If instead of using the crafting grid to craft something like adobe, we used a system like the pit kiln or the charcoal pit, I mean something you do outside of the crafting bench, that would be great.

However I see it difficult with flowing water, because it would bring your items away. Maybe you should add water later with the help of a wooden bucket. You don't literally add it, you just right click with the bucket in the block you created. If this worked in a similar way to the pit kiln, you could place all the stuff inside a hole in the ground and then place the water at the end with the bucket.

Now this is a nice idea. If instead of using the crafting grid to craft something like adobe, we used a system like the pit kiln or the charcoal pit, I mean something you do outside of the crafting bench, that would be great.

However I see it difficult with flowing water, because it would bring your items away. Maybe you should add water later with the help of a wooden bucket. You don't literally add it, you just right click with the bucket in the block you created. If this worked in a similar way to the pit kiln, you could place all the stuff inside a hole in the ground and then place the water at the end with the bucket.

well yeah but this is something that I would like players not to hate because with buckets you would need to get to the copper age first and still you couldn't mass produce it. In the copper age everybody build with planks rather than thatch but it might be nice seeing thatch roofs, that part of the idea. Anyways adobe shout be a stone age material, and I think flowing water isn't a proble as long as items are in a water block, you just don't need the have an airblock where the water could send the items.

Also adobe would eventually dry too if placed, but this would only effect the texture and the time of breaking. In rain it would be easier to remove.

well yeah but this is something that I would like players not to hate because with buckets you would need to get to the copper age first

Yep true sorry I forgot about that detail. So yeah a water flowing or still is our only chance then. Or maybe you could use a clay jug, but it's more like a food item.

Sorry for going off-topic in the first place but euhm ....

So much for trying to saving up PC resources using chissled plank blocks instead of planks :(

More on-topic, i kinda like the idea behind my thatch hut going from green to yellow over a said amount of time, but idd waiting for it to dry to then build with it is kind of a hassle. I also like the idea of sticks for supporting early game thatch huts aswell, not sure how doable it is, but i never really got the fact why thatch could just be stacked without falling over. That being said, if quite dislike the idea of having to place down straw on the ground to start building. The first day is quite short, i think something like that much like the drying process might have to big impact on that first day for players. While things like sticks can be relative easy to gather when looking for wood/food/grass/clay on your first day. Maybe i wont be overflowing in sticks from my sappling hunt, on the first few days with something like this

Sorry for going off-topic in the first place but euhm ....

So much for trying to saving up PC resources using chissled plank blocks instead of planks :(

More on-topic, i kinda like the idea behind my thatch hut going from green to yellow over a said amount of time, but idd waiting for it to dry to then build with it is kind of a hassle. I also like the idea of sticks for supporting early game thatch huts aswell, not sure how doable it is, but i never really got the fact why thatch could just be stacked without falling over. That being said, if quite dislike the idea of having to place down straw on the ground to start building. The first day is quite short, i think something like that much like the drying process might have to big impact on that first day for players. While things like sticks can be relative easy to gather when looking for wood/food/grass/clay on your first day. Maybe i wont be overflowing in sticks from my sappling hunt, on the first few days with something like this

So you like the idea of drying it but you don't want to wait to build with it. Well you don't have to wait only if you want adobe but thats just that you have to have a place where you place extra grass to dry The point is, that making adobe shouldn't be availible on the first night, rather on the 3rd or 4th. until then biuld a thatch hut (placing the straw/grass like this doesn't require more time, only for the roof maybe for placing sticks, if you make your hut half in under the grass level) you may also build a treehouse or live under clay. Not much harder then. So again you DON't need to wait until straw can be placed, first you can build a shelter out of freshly gut grass. (the only thing may be that  will add to the suggestion, as grass has more water in it it is heavier, so sticks could hold up more straw at the roof than grass)

As someone who has traveled I actually have seen adobe houses with straw roof. They use green straw of many different kinds it turns yellow after some time. there is no need to dry it first.

As for adobe a simple recipe like the one used on extrafirma would suffice. I should add that to make more use of adobe and more believable would be to make thatch wall not resistant to mobs. You would only use it on the roof.

So as far as early game goes you can only build a adobe hut with thatch roof. Also adobe is gravity effected but you can stack it to make walls.

I think it adds to early game.

As someone who has traveled I actually have seen adobe houses with straw roof. They use green straw of many different kinds it turns yellow after some time. there is no need to dry it first.

This, we have loads of staw roofed houses in the netherlands, they change color over time (look at older windmills for example).

It just doesnt make sense to me if i have to break down my hut so to speak in order to dry the grass.

True, green roofs would be awesome. They're like reversed copper roofs, they start from green and become yellow, maybe shading. That would make awesome looking roofs. Anyway if thatch isn't mob resistant, what do you build your home with during the first day? I don't think you have enough time searching for clay and all the stuff used for adobe.

On the first day there is not enough time to build a hut anyways. you need sticks and wood and food.

I always make a hole on the ground or against a hill.

I rather believe that i would be safe from monsters in a hole on the ground than on a thatch house.

3x3 thatch roof, maybe 4x4 against a dirt hill (partiallly inside) or dug out clay deposit, with log piles resting on a dirt block to simulate walls :P You can do it in the first day, depending on your citeria of hut and time taken to find food that is.

2 high should be enough to be able to pitkiln, on the dirt wall side, without any fire hasserts if you are lucky enough to find some clay obviously. And you can always dig down an extra block after your done, just gotta remind yourself not to remove blocks close to wall to trigger a block update/cave-in ^_^

Thats how i usually make a living on the first few days anyways, if i have to support the roof with sticks i see no realy big delay in that since i usually get my first sapplings early on.

(That being based on SSP though, i can see how some SMP situations might be quite different though, but then again you might see people that help you get past the whole thatch hut stage incase its not a new map.)

LordOfWolves has an intresting point there on the resistance aswell, was kind of wondering about that to.

Its not untill the second or third day that i usually build walls of thatch though, but if they destroy my roof ... <_<

Tha's why i insist that straw as a construction material for walls is not believable or needed.

sure you can survive a few days enough to find clay and make adobe.

Tha's why i insist that straw as a construction material for walls is not believable or needed.

Why not? It's the earliest building block I can think of, also a quick repair from monsters. And it's believable, or at least these pics say so.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also you notice that there are some wooden elements (please don't pay attention to the pneumatics, these are not relevant) and this is how sticks should keep the straw up, placing them as a support. It is believable, I mean, they are using it.

EDIT: I get the ones in the second pick aren't sticks, but they're used to support the roof in that case. Of course what we didn't think about is that thatch can't support a roof, so we would need a wooden structure like the second picture, if you're going to make a heavy roof, otherwise, sticks should be fine if there's only some other thatch.

I will be honest and say that i did not research the issue.

But the pictures you showed are for modern structures.

I am not sure if that is historically correct.

When I see images of villages in remote places where people have no access to technology, people always build their houses with adobe walls and thatch or straw roofs.

Again I may be wrong I have always lived on big cities and on brick houses.

Don't you at least agree that adobe would be a stronger material than thatch specially if you are trying to protect yourself against zombies.

Or in the case of the new update that we will have more dangerous animals, I dont see thatch wall strong against a bear.