Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CtrlXCtrlV

Mushrooms in TFC

Like the idea? Vote!   44 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you think about them mushrooms?

• Leave them alone, we don't need them in TFC
    • Yeah great lets discussed what types we need and add them right in!
    • Also, lets make them so we can use them for potions
    • They would be good for food, but not potions
    • Well yeah add them in, but only for aesthetic and collectible purposes
    • Just add in a good mechanic for already existing vanilla mushrooms and thats it
    • Hate them mushrooms! Add in lasers!
    • Um yeah I'm not sure about the potions yet, maybe if I would see a draft about that

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

What do you think of the idea of having like as many type of mushrooms in TFC as rocks or trees? some would be found in caves, some on trees, some edible, some poisonous, some grow big some grow small, some grow in a type of dirt more, some doesn't, some grown in a biome when it rains, but dies off, some even grow in winter(?) some don't. some spread fast, some don't. Some grow in the sun, some dies. Some causes hallucination other are fine. Some, oh you get it. (in case you don't they WILL go and grow in between your crops)

You can pick them, inspect them, hopefully not confuse them with a similar but venomous one, water them, 

Humidity might be something to brought in though.

EDIT 1

As people liked the idea more than i expected I will write how i would like to see mushrooms in-game:

First step:

Humidity - dont know much about mushrooms but i know they love water so some important factors are for mushroom growth: Humidity, Rain, Season, altitude, Soil (can be dirt, stone, trees, leaves, clay, ORES! and of course different kinds of these trees, stone, dirt, stone), Sunlight, Temperature, Blocklight, Nutrients, Distance from water block, Water block type and just maybe... stabilty

Humidity is the only one that needs to be added

every mushroom has different needs

Purpose

So what would them shrooms be good for? I feel these would be good:

• -Food
  • -Medicine/Potions
  • -Indicators
  • -Aesthetics
  • -Collectibles

Well here are some of my favorite shroom ideas:

-Peat indicator shrooms

-Icy winter shrooms

-Some what can be fed to animals but not to players, becuse they cause bad stuff

-Boiling water near indicator shrooms

-oreshrooms

I really like that. I know we have a lot of other food sources but mushrooms Huuummm. yammy.

Mushrooms can be more than food.

They might be used for brewing or making poisons/medicines if that ever comes up.

We might be able to mix poisons shrooms in meals or water to poison other players.

It could be a fast-growing food that could help players staring out(especially on servers), or be a good food source to bring along for extended journeys.

Brewing poisons and medicines is unreasonable since the addition of medicine requires the co-existence of a plethora of diseases to cure, one more thing to grind just to stay alive instead of having fun being creative.

Roughly 1% of mushrooms will kill you, 20% will make you sick, 50% are inedible, 25% are edible but gross and only 4% are actually good to eat. Even the ones you can eat are barely more calorie dense than lettuce. They are a terrible source of food for someone trying to survive. Try pemmican (that's already been suggested though). It's a way better survival food source and uses things already in the mod. Better yet, wait for preservation update.

If you want a "starting out" food source, walk for 3 minutes during the summer and you'll find something edible.

The only good reason I can see for adding variety to mushrooms is for ambiance and natural decoration in forests and caves. While that is something I would love to see lots more of, the devs are still working on fleshing out major core mechanics of basic gameplay and Bioxx has said aesthetics are not a priority at this point.

tl;dr IMO, nope.

Cool suggestion! I always walked around TFC and never noticed that it's missing mushrooms! There are really lots of different types of mushroom, and how they grow changes too. Some mushrooms grow on the logs of the trees, so you would find them when you go to chop trees. Note that anyway they shouldn't drop if you just cut the tree down, you should destroy them first or you'll lose them, as with sticks and saplings.

Some other mushrooms then grow on rocks. 

But apart this, forget how vanilla represents mushrooms as only one per block. Mushrooms grow in clusters, all there, stuck together. The mushroom block should be something that has different stages like the crops. Basically the more you wait, the more mushroom will grow in the same cluster, so when you'll chop the mushroom cluster, you'll get more out of it.

Brewing poisons and medicines is unreasonable since the addition of medicine requires the co-existence of a plethora of diseases to cure, one more thing to grind just to stay alive instead of having fun being creative.

Does it?

Why can we only have medicines with diseases?

Why can't we just have it directly heal health or even remove (negative)status effects?

I mean, sure salves healing you at a noticeable rate isn't realistic, but isn't it believable enough for games?

Why should the only way to heal be to stuff our faces with with food and wait in a corner?

I think potions aren't a good idea for this mod, since we tend to delete everything that's not believable. And in a mod like this, potions could easily be OP.

Anyway, you're right , AllenWL, we don't forcibly need diseases to have medications. We already have the mobs that attack us and that never leave us alone during night explorations.

Now, I'd like to see some medications, because it happened multiple times that I've been caught by a group of spiders, skeletons and zombies during too long explorations, so long that it became night and I couldn't manage to get home quickly. And many times I managed to escape those mobs, but with just a really little amount of life left in my bar. And the regeneration took so long. I lost many times my metal tools I was using because usually when I tried to avoid monsters and get home with that little life, a mini zombie or a spider popped out of somewhere and beheaded me. It would be nice to have something like a mushroom based medicine that could speed up a bit life regeneration. But we should pay attention to what type of mushroom we use. There could also be mushrooms that we think are good, but that when applied to the injured part...directly releases poison in your blood. 

If we're going to have mushrooms in the game to act as a component for healing, I would suggest something along the lines of faster health regeneration, as TheWolf (I'm still calling you that, by the way, :P) stated. For basic balancing, I would say that it would take a few mushrooms with the faster healing effect (something like two-three, sometimes even four) to achieve the desired affect.

(I'm still calling you that, by the way, :P

Yes, you said this in a comment. Anyway I don't get why the tongue face appears like a smiling face.

Also, who knows, you could add some mushrooms in the meals while nobody sees you...

And I think that mushrooms should require too some cleaning like wheat or rice. You get mushrooms, then you cut them with the knife to get the stem and the cap. The cap is useful because it contains spores, this way you could use it to spread them and have more mushrooms to grow. Anyway if you decide to use the cap to spread the spores, you would only remain with the stem as food item. The cap would be consumed in the process. You craft the cap with the knife again to break it and to free the spores. The following could be hard to code. The spores would dissipate where you craft that recipe. You would get nothing from that recipe, just a random block or 2 around you where the spores deposited, and in that block mushrooms could start growing.

Or

Mushrooms keep growing where you found them, as long as you leave at least 1 mushroom in that cluster. Every Shift+Right Click would give you a mushroom (like when you pluck a chicken) and the cluster would show one less mushroom, until you harvest the last one too, then that cluster would die. And if you break the block below the cluster, of course it would disappear. But this last way doesn't seem to give us any non OP way to be able to replant the mushrooms.

Obviously in the same cluster only 1 type of mushrooms can grow.

Roughly 1% of mushrooms will kill you, 20% will make you sick, 50% are inedible, 25% are edible but gross and only 4% are actually good to eat. Even the ones you can eat are barely more calorie dense than lettuce. They are a terrible source of food for someone trying to survive. Try pemmican (that's already been suggested though). It's a way better survival food source and uses things already in the mod. Better yet, wait for preservation update.

If you want a "starting out" food source, walk for 3 minutes during the summer and you'll find something edible.

The only good reason I can see for adding variety to mushrooms is for ambiance and natural decoration in forests and caves. While that is something I would love to see lots more of, the devs are still working on fleshing out major core mechanics of basic gameplay and Bioxx has said aesthetics are not a priority at this point.

tl;dr IMO, nope.

You live in Canada, not in Europe which the mod is modeled after. The figures you posted are completely misleading, mainly because species like russula and boletes come in overwhelming sorts an sizes.

however.....

The actual mushrooms that are delicious and easy to identify grow all through the latter half of the year and in astonishing amounts too. From my current residence, in an hour of walking + mushroom plucking, I can gather more than 2kg of edible mushrooms. 

I'm talking about, chanterelles, amethyst decievers, large bolete, cep, winter chantarelle, jew's ear, field mushrooms, horn of plenty, morals and truffles. This is in a largely coniferous forest. Go to a beach forest and you'll be even more surprised, or go to southern Europe and you will find truffles and ceps in great abundance.

Truly anywhere I go, I will be able to find a mushroom around august.

Now onto nutrition, because this is actually beautiful. Button mushrooms have been proven to combat obesity (http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?StoryID=293898)

Mushrooms where found to be linked to overall improved nutrition (http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/27/1_MeetingAbstracts/lb350)

Mushrooms increased vitamin D intake (http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/27/1_MeetingAbstracts/794.6)

This recap even finds that dried shitake mushrooms and white button mushrooms can modulate and improve the immune system (http://www.nutritioninsight.com/news/New-Research-Ties-Mushrooms-to-Potential-Health-Outcomes.html)

And lastly, ask any hunter or wildlife expert and you will likely be told that the most delicious and pleasing meal in the wild is a venison and mushrooms dinner :)

As for potions, the most realistic health potion possible would probably be the oils from crushed st johns wort leaves. This yellow recognizable plant has well known anti depression effects and works as an anti septic. When the pedals are crushed and the left in the sun for two to three weeks the oils turn yellow-red and it makes a good oil to spread on wounds. This was recognized early by the greeks and passed over to medieval England, who believed the royal red colour, and strong healing effects of the plant made it a divine creation.

I've made it and it's quite easy, not to mention easy to collect. I certainly think it would make a contender for a health potion (if it were implemented) since it has such a prominent history as such.

I love mushrooms in real life and would like if they were added to the game.

Mushrooms were a very important part of the nutrition  for many generations.

I'm currently in the process of designing/working on addon that would add mushrooms and some other plant-related stuff. Though knowing myself and how much I'm able to actually take time and code for myself rather than work, don't expect this to be done any time soon.

In 99.9% of cases:

The best way to combat obesity is to eat a balanced diet, live an active life and exercise on a regular basis

Given that forty seven thousand "studies" find things to be linked to other things on the daily I really don't give much credit to these sort of claims. Another study a year later will often find the opposite.

The best way to get vitamin D is to go outside and take a supplement if you live in a region that gets little sunlight.

Healthy immune systems come from healthy people who exercise and live outside once in a while... Or better yet more often than that.

I agree on the taste but if possible, replace venison with grass-fed, premium Alberta beef and you have a winner. 

Main point. Not saying I don't like mushrooms, in moderation they would add a nice frill around the edge of this mod. I just don't think TFC is aiming to be an ethnobotanical experience.

Main point. Not saying I don't like mushrooms, in moderation they would add a nice frill around the edge of this mod. I just don't think TFC is aiming to be an ethnobotanical experience.

The adding of mushroom doesn't really make this mod an ethnobotanical experience. See, this mod by itself adds so many things and changes, and is always adding something new in the new updates, that it's really hard to label this mod. I don't think TFC will ever become a "put label here" mod, because the suggested topics and the things already implemented are so various and different that TFC will never focus on a single thing. Everything in TFC is a secondary process, but yet it can be the main one while you do it. That's why I like TFC, it has so many things and yet it manages to give everything its importance, it manages to let you appreciate everything. And last thing, all the pieces fit together. I must be honest but I never saw this in any other mod.

I think too much specialization would be if they started adding macrobiotic foods like soy sprouts.

Mushrooms are not like that.

They would also add to the underground breaking the monotony adding color to caves and giving one more reason to look for caves.

Off course I am not implying that all mushrooms  should be underground. They should definitely spawn in marshes and forests. 

The best way in my opinion would be if each kind of  mushrooms only spawned in a specific biome.

In 99.9% of cases:

The best way to combat obesity is to eat a balanced diet, live an active life and exercise on a regular basis

Given that forty seven thousand "studies" find things to be linked to other things on the daily I really don't give much credit to these sort of claims. Another study a year later will often find the opposite.

The best way to get vitamin D is to go outside and take a supplement if you live in a region that gets little sunlight.

Healthy immune systems come from healthy people who exercise and live outside once in a while... Or better yet more often than that.

I agree on the taste but if possible, replace venison with grass-fed, premium Alberta beef and you have a winner. 

Just because you could gain all the health benefits of a mushroom elsewhere, doesn't mean you should avoid them. I was just countering your point that they're a terrible source of food to survive on. Their rich taste is precisely what you need amidst the otherwise bland taste of chewing silverweed and cattail roots all day. 

The fungus kingdom is no different then the animal or plant kingdom in it's diversity or daily uses. Just as all other aspects of TFC are abstractions of ancient processes, mushroom harvesting could also be.

The fact that all trees can be used to make charcoal, that animals require wheat to breed or that plants merely require tilled land should indicate to you that if a new process is to be added to TFC the devs will ensure that it doesn't come across as ethnobotanical and it has balanced, fun mechanics.

I was just countering your point that they're a terrible source of food to survive on. Their rich taste...etc

Counter away, the calorie density of mushrooms proves my point. They can indeed have a great taste... I had some last night with pecan-crusted pork tenderloin on barley risotto (tasted fantastic) but that is all they are, a nice flavor, not an energy bar.

When people hear someone say "Add mushrooms!" And then they automatically suggest that it be a fast-growing, early-game, long-lasting, super-nutritious food source that can be used to make healing ointments for easy health...

It tells me that they:

-have not done any research regarding the physical properties of mushrooms

-don't care the least bit about attempting to make proper suggestions for quick-healing mechanics

-gave absolutely no thought towards balanced food types and progression

Then I need to go and tell them to get a hold of themselves and that mushrooms will never be a magic cure-all. They are a cute non-essential addition that looks nice and might be used in a few recipes, but that's pretty much it.

In response to this you say that mushrooms are good for combating obesity, better nutrition, vitamin D intake and a healthy immune system.

I hope you realize that while these might be valid points in real life, TFC has no player weight, nutrition is already in place and has no room for mushrooms, vitamin D doesn't mean squat in this mod and we don't have a sickness/disease system. Basically, these points you brought up have zero relevance in TFC as it stands right now. 

Again, I don't hate the idea mushrooms but people need to rein in the crazy and post replies that are at least a little bit within the boundries of common sense.

I think I have a valid point to introduce mushrooms then! In b79 we'll probably have food taste too, and you too said that mushrooms taste fantastic, soo I think this could be useful to every player. Mushrooms will become part of the cooking system and can be used to slightly change the taste of the food, so that a cook won't become mad finding every possible ingredient in an online server. Mushrooms would fit very well in this. You add them to prepared meals to change the taste depending on the mushroom you used.

If there weren't mushrooms, either the players had to eat a bad tasting food, or the cook had to make 20 different meals, which becomes tedious after a while. 

I mostly want mushrooms for the aesthetics. More color everywhere is a good thing.

Now it looks like the discussion is about the nutrition that  mushrooms provide.

quote:

Often grouped with vegetables, mushrooms provide many of the nutritional attributes of produce, as well as attributes more commonly found in meat, beans or grains. Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more. - See more 

Yes mushrooms are very low in calories, but they are rich in other needed nutrients and vitamins and minerals.

Well, now that I think about it, mushrooms have a natural role too that we should consider. They're really good at collecting water, but they can't produce lymph by themselves, that's why they grow near plants, they help the tree get water and in exchange they get some lymph from the tree.

We could make that mushrooms could somehow help with plants growing.

ok, some thoughts.

First, as others have said at length, the Magical Healing and Healthful Properties of Mushrooms just don't make sense in tfc. I won't repeat the arguments, all of which I agreed with already, just note that that's right out as far as I'm concerned.

The idea of them adding an aesthetic touch is a good one. Not reason enough to implement them, perhaps, but certainly a mark in favor of the idea. I would suggest that they should be tied not just to biomes, but also to types of trees. Certain mushroom types might only grow in areas with coniferous trees; others might grow only near water, or only in caves, or etc, but they could give some added niceness to the world. (on a vaguely related note, I'd really like to see some shrubs beyond the berry bushes; not all shrubs produce berries, edible or otherwise, and if regular bushes that didn't produce food were a more common part of world generation, it'd make it harder and more exciting to find the more rare clusters of the useful ones. Currently they stand out to the point that you can see them from hundreds of blocks away, after all.)

On edibility, some varieties should certainly be edible, while others would no doubt be poisonous; I'd be inclined to say screw realism and have between half and three-quarters of all varieties be edible. As for their role in food, in the new system, the role seems obvious, to me: they will add no nutrition, not being in any of the food groups, but they can add tastes, and these can be strong tastes, and more predictable than those of the new veggies/fruit, so the inclusion of a character's "favorite" mushroom might give an easy and reliable bump to the taste profile for a dish, or compensate for having to use a vegetable the character just doesn't like. Basically, this would let you sacrifice one of the 4 potential food groups a meal in order to add boost the quality of the meal above what you could otherwise get with your current knowledge and skill in cooking for that person.

It's hard for me to say since the new food system isn't released yet, but this seems like it might be a welcome addition to the rather complex new system, as it gives a slightly easier way to boost meal quality, but at a fair price in giving up the 4th food group. It's a system that could be used by Serious Chefs, to produce meals with even higher saturation, as well as by the more indifferent cooks, who just want a more convenient package for their nutrition without getting too deep down the rabbit hole that is the new cooking system.

Yeah, there can be poisonous mushrooms too but they must have an use, not just exist to take an ID and space in chests. Currently in TFC there's almost nothing that's useless, apart gems and some ores, but these will have a function or will probably be removed. In don't know what I would to with poisonous mushrooms if they didn't have a purpose apart being poisonous to the player. I know that what is poisonous to humans isn't always poisonous to other animals, so, maybe if there's a particular animal that can eat that poisonous type of mushroom, well, that mushroom would have a good purpose in the mod: feed that animal. That was just an example, I don't know if there are really animals that eat poisonous mushrooms.

They would be pretty much useless.

The only situation I could possibly see poisonous mushrooms being used in if the mushrooms had some randomized identification system like some dungeon crawlers have.

I would actually love if you had to try out all the foods and plants in the server to test the various effects they have, but it would probably be a difficult system to implement. The gameplay alone would justify such a choice for me, but I can see people not liking the lack of realism, and the devs probably hating the idea for the amount of coding it would require :P

If a system like that were introduced, made up Latin names (or common ones) could be easily introduced, and tasting would be required to identify them once.

Or mushrooms could just be added as food without the poisonous ones, but that feels a little to far away from the spirit of mushroom picking to me.

ooh, randomizing mushrooms is a great idea, I was thinking a few poisonous types might mostly be made to closely resemble some of the tasty varieties, but that makes it even better. There'd some risk, and care required, so it's not just a "gimme."