Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CtrlXCtrlV

Mushrooms in TFC

Like the idea? Vote!   44 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you think about them mushrooms?

• Leave them alone, we don't need them in TFC
    • Yeah great lets discussed what types we need and add them right in!
    • Also, lets make them so we can use them for potions
    • They would be good for food, but not potions
    • Well yeah add them in, but only for aesthetic and collectible purposes
    • Just add in a good mechanic for already existing vanilla mushrooms and thats it
    • Hate them mushrooms! Add in lasers!
    • Um yeah I'm not sure about the potions yet, maybe if I would see a draft about that

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

On edibility, some varieties should certainly be edible, while others would no doubt be poisonous; I'd be inclined to say screw realism and have between half and three-quarters of all varieties be edible. As for their role in food, in the new system, the role seems obvious, to me: they will add no nutrition, not being in any of the food groups, but they can add tastes, and these can be strong tastes, and more predictable than those of the new veggies/fruit, so the inclusion of a character's "favorite" mushroom might give an easy and reliable bump to the taste profile for a dish, or compensate for having to use a vegetable the character just doesn't like. Basically, this would let you sacrifice one of the 4 potential food groups a meal in order to add boost the quality of the meal above what you could otherwise get with your current knowledge and skill in cooking for that person.

I

I was in agreement with you until this point.

Mushrooms are rich in nutrients just poor on calories.

Read this. http://mushroominfo.com/benefits/

Nutrients in Button Mushrooms

White button mushrooms, the popular ones you see in all the grocery stores, have a surprising amount of nutrients including: 

• Niacin
  • Riboflavin
  • Folate
  • Phosphorus
  • Iron 
  • Panthothenic Acid
  • Zinc
  • Potassium
  • Copper
  • Magnesium
  • Vitamin B6
  • Selenium
  • Thiamin
  •  

here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/calories/the-nutritional-value-of-mushrooms.html#b

As far as categorizing in TFC just make it part of the vegetables group since is more close to that then any other group.

That is all well and good, but nothing on that list exists in the TFC universe. Hence the "in the new food system." So I'm not clear what you're suggesting. Should the simplified food group setup be eliminated in favor of one based on some cherry-picked list of vitamins and minerals? Or should fungus be shoehorned into the "vegetable" category? Neither seems like a good solution to me, personally.

The usa department of agriculture on food groups considers mushroons as vegetables..

They also group tomatoes with vegetables.

Mushroons are rich in minerals and vitamins and poor on calories and proteins, just like most vegetables.

read this: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables.html

Commonly eaten vegetables in each subgroup

Yeah i think mushrooms would be a great addition to TFC. there could be all kinds of them, and only through experience would you find out which ones are tasty and which are deadly

i think it would be best to not use existing names of mushrooms, but instead name them by description like "red mushroom" "spotted mushroom" "flat mushroom"

some would be used as food, and the others could be used for either deadly poisons in potions or other effects in potions, from medicinal to magickal purpose.

some would be used as food, and the others could be used for either deadly poisons in potions or other effects in potions, from medicinal to magickal purpose.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea I had, apart the medical purpose. Poisonous mushrooms could be used in pvp servers as a trap, like, you leave there a poisoned meal and the other player can't know this and he gets poisoned and dies, or maybe as a poisoned bait to get some animals. Always talking about rabbits, you could make a bowl full of carrots and with a bit of poisonous mushroom, the rabbit would eat the carrots and then die. Ofc, many animals can feel the smell of poisonous food, that's why you have to be careful and add the least you can to prevent the animal from discovering that it's a trap, but you must also add enough mushroom to actually make the trap effective.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea I had, apart the medical purpose. Poisonous mushrooms could be used in pvp servers as a trap, like, you leave there a poisoned meal and the other player can't know this and he gets poisoned and dies, or maybe as a poisoned bait to get some animals. Always talking about rabbits, you could make a bowl full of carrots and with a bit of poisonous mushroom, the rabbit would eat the carrots and then die. Ofc, many animals can feel the smell of poisonous food, that's why you have to be careful and add the least you can to prevent the animal from discovering that it's a trap, but you must also add enough mushroom to actually make the trap effective.

Well a lot of animals do die from poisoning. Most poisonous mushrooms are quire nice too, I've tried a few that are generally considered poisonous and I'd be extremely inclined to agree with the sentiment found in mushroom picking books that mushrooms cannot be distinguished by taste along.

I really do like the idea of using them as poisons, a mushroom such as the destroying angel or death cap will almost always ensure death within a weeks time.

The humidity does not need to be added.

It can be calculated through temperature and average rainfall.

Just stick it up to the tree layer or specific tree type to mushroom type map. I know that's what I'll do.

Mushrooms should without a doubt be edible in TerraFirmaCraft. They're perfect for an early game food source and would be very useful for the stone age. That's one thing I hated in vanilla Minecraft, being forced to make a stew in order to eat my mushrooms. If mushrooms do become edible, allow us to eat them raw. As for the nutrition aspect, they should fall under the vegetable category. Unlike crops, they shouldn't be able to be domesticated and as soon as they're picked, their decay process should begin because yes, mushrooms do in fact decay. Mushrooms should start popping out after it rains and overtime they should begin to disappear, this would make people go mushroom picking right after a rainy day, just like I used to do in real life.As for poisonous mushrooms, using them for potions, and all that other stuff, lets first just make them edible.

No potions please.

But foraging for mushrooms to add to the diet makes sense to me. Two types: brown ones - edible, red ones - poisonous. The latter could be used to craft poison-tipped arrows that inflict extra damage on zombies (maybe even spiders), but not skeletons. Using a poison-tipped arrow on a passive mob for food could poison the meat drops perhaps (or they could drop with a good amount of decay already in place).

For medicines (which would serve to restore health a few ticks faster over time - no instant health restoration please), I don't feel mushrooms should be used on their own. Perhaps some specific remedies using a combo of mushrooms, flowers, and some herbs (which would also be a great in-game addition to make food taste better) - and a stick or two to represent tree bark - might be something to think about?

Cheers,

FirstFlyte

Mushrooms are already in TFC, but only as a decoration item like flowers. I would like to see them be added as an edible food item and i love the idea of them being a peat indicator (similar to the golden rod flower for clay) but that's really all i'd like to see them added for. The idea of potions or medicines doesn't seem like it would fit with the mod as it is right now.

Even though we have naturally spawning mushrooms in TFC I think they do not spread. Thats something that would be really cool to have. 

Even though we have naturally spawning mushrooms in TFC I think they do not spread. Thats something that would be really cool to have. 

The naturally spawning mushrooms in TFC are just the vanilla block, meaning that they do indeed spread under the exact same conditions that vanilla mushrooms spread.

Thanks Kitty, 

I have not tested in game. But question;does that mean it needs vanilla dirt? or will it spread in TFC dirt?

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Mushroom_farming

Mushrooms are placeable everywhere but well lit areas or non solid / transparent blocks, and do not require water, sand, or extra space like crops, cacti or saplings. However, even at night, they can only be planted on blocks where the daytime illumination would be less than 12. The exceptions to this are Mycelium and Podzol, on which they can be planted and remain in full sunlight. They can then spread slowly to other opaque blocks, including types where they could not be planted. Mushrooms will only spread if there are fewer than 5 mushrooms in an area of 9x9x3(L, W, H) around the original mushroom.

Vanilla mushrooms do not require dirt, and can spread to any block, including mod blocks as long as it is dark enough.

I'm more of the "Fix what you got" kind of guy. For me, just letting me use/eat the shrooms I already have would be a welcome improvement.