Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

New Tool: Trowel, New Masonry edited

17 posts in this topic

New Tool: Trowel, New Masonry

THE TROWEL

The trowel would be  a metal tool and needed for most stone work.

You need a chisel to create stone bricks but you should need a trowel to create the stone bricks block.

We could also use the trowel to create cobble blocks they would need mortar and rocks. The same recipe used today for bricks could be used for cobble.

As for cave ins maybe we can make stone turn into rubble. Like piles of rocks, I think that makes more sense than the caveins magically making coble blocks..

So the ruble behaves the same as rocks on the ground . Just giving you 4 rocks instead of one.

Posted ImageAnd the only way to obtain coble blocks would be with mortar and the trowel

This new cobble behaving block would not be gravity affected so everybody that wants the look of the cobble for the castle and towers would have it. In a believable way.

I don't think is needed but it could also be added as a config option to require a trowel on the hotbar and mortar in the inventory every time you want to place any stone block ( stone, smooth, brick or cobble).

Posted Image

THE MASONRY

The New Masonry: right click the trowel to open up a new GUI. The GUI will be 8 x 8 to allow the creation of complex structures. Like for example The stone oven, stone Stove and Chimneys described in my post " Cooking Mechanics Overhaul"  The main difference between Knapping and Masonry is that you are adding material not subtracting. You should be able t to use rocks or stone bricks depending on what kind of look you want. Off course you need Mortar in your inventory. No need to add Mortar to the Gui (to facilitate on the creation designs)it will just be deducted from your inventory.

For the Mortar one way to improve how fast you can make it, would be using the barrel. So you could mix high quantities of mortar at once.

Posted Image

I like the idea, but what about the old cobble blocks? Will those still be in the game? And also, are we supposed to get loose rocks back from those cobble blocks like the already existing ones? Also, the stone bricks recipe uses all the 9 slots, where should we place the trowel?

Anyway, about the placement, yes I think it's a good idea to have both the mortar and the trowel in your inventory to place bricks, but maybe we should need to get more mortar from the recipes? 

I like the idea, but what about the old cobble blocks? Will those still be in the game? And also, are we supposed to get loose rocks back from those cobble blocks like the already existing ones? Also, the stone bricks recipe uses all the 9 slots, where should we place the trowel?

Anyway, about the placement, yes I think it's a good idea to have both the mortar and the trowel in your inventory to place bricks, but maybe we should need to get more mortar from the recipes? 

I have not thought all the details. That's what i need people to comment with ideas.

I think right now there is not much we can do with cobble, so if we told people that from now on the only cobble is going to need mortar but it will not be affected by gravity most people will accept.

For the recipe what about just a requirement to have the trowel on the hotbar and loose durability?

Maybe an easy  and faster way to get mortar would be welcome.

What if we could use a barrel to make lots of mortar at once?

Sorry about the double post, for some reasons my internet became slower in thsi forum. Can't I delete it?

What if we could use a barrel to make lots of mortar at once?

This is a great idea, like in real life, you make mortar in some large containers, not in your hands. This could actually have a lot of sense. You place the needed ingredients inside a barrel, then you take some mortar with a bucket and maybe the bucket could have durability, to represent its amount of mortar. You use the barrel to craft recipes that require mortar, then, when the barrel loses all the durability, it just turns back into a normal barrel and it needs to be refilled with mortar. Also, when you place bricks, it too loses some durability, along with the trowel. Anyway, about the cobble, I think we should be able to get loose rocks back, because cobble was also made as storage solution, to store all those rocks in a better way. And I think that the already existing cobblestone should stay there, otherwise during cave ins, stone would turn into cobble not affected by gravity. Maybe there could be another type of cobble block, one that you make with 4 loose rocks and the mortar bucket.

Sorry about the double post, for some reasons my internet became slower in thsi forum. Can't I delete it?

. And I think that the already existing cobblestone should stay there, otherwise during cave ins, stone would turn into cobble not affected by gravity. Maybe there could be another type of cobble block, one that you make with 4 loose rocks and the mortar bucket.

That's more or less what I was thinking.

We make the whole process more believable and at the same time we get back cobble as a  construction material. Something that is missed by many players.

I don't really know how to solve the issue with 2 kinds of cobble.

What if you could stack rocks up to 64? that could help with the inventory.

We still have the issue with the cave ins that I don't know how to solve.

added picture of in game tool. 

Just an Idea. For sure someone can create a better texture.

I think this topic needs more attention and replies, because this really is a thing to think about, we can't just use our hands to carefully place mortar, we would get really bad looking bricks.

The New Masonry: right click the trowel to open up a new GUI. The GUI will be 8 x 8 to allow the creation of complex structures. Like for example The stone oven, stone Stove and Chimneys described in my post " Cooking Mechanics Overhaul"  The main difference between Knapping and Masonry is that you are adding material not subtracting. You should be able t to use rocks or stone bricks depending on what kind of look you want. Off course you need Mortar in your inventory. No need to add Mortar to the Gui (to facilitate on the creation designs)it will just be deducted from your inventory.

This! I think we need this! It's a really good way to make blocks made out of mortar and bricks, or clay if you want to create that clay oven.

So basically a quick resume would be that you need this tool in your inventory + mortar to place some blocks, and you can also use that block as a crafting interface to assemble bricks to create useful blocks ingame, right?

That's a really good idea, especially that last edit to the OP. 

Currently we have some building materials ready, like the firebricks, the stone bricks and the clay item. These 3 could be used with the trowel, but I think that to keep this a good idea, and not "one of those furnace mods" we should only choose one of these materials to craft with the trowel. Or, if you really want to have a clay oven but you don't want to lose the chance to make something with stone bricks too, then I suggest that the oven should only be made out of clay, the other materials should be used for other purposes. Also, we could aapt the existing recipes to this suggestion. We will no longer be able to make brick blocks in our inventory, but we must instead choose to use the trowel. In the 8x8 crafting GUI there should be something similar to the plans of the anvil. You choose one plan and then it tells you the building materials you need to place in the crafting GUI to get that block you want.

Now, we could make this a minigame-like crafting. The used mortar changes by how you place items inside the crafting GUI. Like, every brick needs 1 mortar to stick to a brick near it. That's just an example, we should make this challenging to let the player figure out how to use the less mortar he can use. So everytime, after the crafting, you would lose some mortar according by how well you placed the bricks.

Anyway for this to happen, we should also be able to make mortar in barrels, like you suggested before. This way mortar will be harder to get and it will take longer, so players will think twice before crafting a recipe that uses a lot of mortar.

Also, to prevent players from discovering the best recipe and be set forever, we could add some randomization in the 8x8 crafting grid, ie some crafting slots could be locked. That would force players to think how they could arrange items to save mortar. 

Also, that would change in every world. The locked slots would change in every world, like the anvil red line.

The minigame above would only work with blocks made out of bricks however, because the clay blocks don't need mortar. 

That would be a really funny minigame to have ingame. Tell me what you think and if I didn't explain well what I mean, I'll try to explain it differently :)

I like the idea somewhat, as in i like the general thought behind it, i have been reading this topic on and off since it was posted but im having a hard time thinking of a better way of doing it.

The only thing i could come up with, witch i would still like very much is for stonebricks, currently known in the game as a single block.

The tool itself gave me the idea of making the brick item, you need to make the said brick blocks, placeable like planks but only if you have the trowel and mortar on the hotbar. This would proll be quite complicated, not only code but also texturewhise (it not quite the same a planks but i ques it can be done), it would how ever also allow for a more realistic use of bricks as a building item much like planks.

Obvious downsides would be that like planks it will take up a whole block, simply because minecraft works that way, so detailing with planks or other blocks can only be done if its lined up properly with the block edge you want to detail on. So you can place more then one brick in the same block area (even different colors), but you cant combine it with say planks etc (it simply wont allow you to place it cause there is something inside the block space already). Another obvious downside would be preformance related, since you increase the number of tile entity's per take up block.

I don't think is needed but it could also be added as a config option to require a trowel on the hotbar and mortar in the inventory every time you want to place any stone block ( stone, smooth, brick or cobble).

I think thats slightly overdoing though, for brick and the new cobble you suggested this might seem as an option maybe even smooth, but for regular stone it doesnt make a whole lot of sence in terms of textures (seemless no mortar lines so to speak). Would be realistic though, but yeah the amounts of mortar needed to build would be a bit harsh maybe ?

Still thinking about the rest, gotta let it soak in a bit more.

Yup I love the idea, the ratio for plaster is roughly 5 sand to 2 lime.

Perhaps to solve the old cobble problem, it could get a new more rough texture that looks like split shards, instead of cobble wall?

edited the OP to answer some of the questions.

So The trowel is the tool that will make it possible to have the cobble block back.

For cave ins we would have a new block called Rubble ( I upload a image but don't think it needs to like that. As long as is not the cobble block it would work. Maybe a block ( because minecraft works with blocks) that represents a pile of broken stone.

I imagine the trowel opening a GUI or a minigame for the creation of specialized stone blocks Like The stone Oven Stove or chimney. Many other creations could be added to the game.

As far as needing mortar to set stone (read any kind of stone be smooth or cobble) it could be implemented as a config option initially and see how people like it. 

I'd suggest a texture similar to stone with cracks for the Rubble. It has sense because the stone that falls down in cave ins is partially broken stone, so some cracks would give you the idea of a part of the stone that broke and fell down.

Also, I took some time and edited your image, I removed the "+": http://i.imgur.com/CydGay9.jpg

Thanks LordofWolves I replaced the image.

I agree that maybe a block that looked more like broken stone would be better. I just am not that good with photoshop.

I can do simple things but anything else just takes forever.

I was just reading a post about pegs nails rivets and mortar. I think your ideas are in sinc.

Not the same since yours add the trowel.

I would love for the mod to add all that to the game.

I actually only found that tread after starting this one. But since They do not talk about the trowel I did not considered as a double post.

The main Idea for me is to add more content to the game and at the same time make the creation of blocks and their placement more believable.

I do believe it would take longer to construct big buildings with this change. I also believe when people play on survival multiplayer Their constructions work to show everybody how good a player They are.

Also if all you want is to build without all the survival hassle just go to creative.

What do you people think? Would it be too hard to build?

Not sure if I want the mod to be harder. 

I do like the idea of having the cobble back. Is something that i miss from vanilla.

With so many different  cobble is going to look nice on my constructions.