Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antice

The art of turning ores into... humm slag... help?

8 posts in this topic

alright. I finally managed to find some bizmuth. in a surface deposit no less, and i figured i wanted to actually try to make something out of it... now after reading up on the wiki and watching some yt vids i figured i should be able to make a bizmuth chisel at least right? shouldnt be too much of a challenge right?

So i make a granite anvil, a granite hammer and i fry me up some of those ceramic moulds... then i walk all over the place to get some reeds and makes some paper and that template table thingy.

smelting went fine.. i made a bellows and even at sea level i can melt that bizmuth ore into the unshaped ingots just fine. I do notice that they cool of mighty fast tho, so i make certain they are as hot as the fire can make em before pushing them over to the anvil for shaping. just like they told me to on the vids...

shaping goes fairly well, so pleased with myself i put a chisel plan into the plan slot and go re-heat the bizmuth ingot so it can be nice and hot for the shaping. acording to the wiki it needs to be hot++++, so i let it get to very hot and pull it over to the anvil to make my chisel...

fine so far right?

now here is the issue:

I have not managed to hit the mark even once before it cools off to hot+++ in any of my 10+ tries. at most i kan maybe get 4 clicks on the buttons before it's too late...

is it suposed to be this hard? i mean seriously. the starting point seem different each time i try as well, so the combination appears to change every single time, so no chance to pre plan my moves either it seems...

Is there something i am missing here? is there a way to slow the cooling down? it has already gone from very hot to hot++++ even befeore i get it to the anvil. and the fire and anvil are next to each other too. (very hot is a split second before the darn thing goes poof in the fire btw. so any hotter is aparently impossible)

and oh yeah. it's version B2pre16 btw.

Ahh.. only 30 some more tries, and i finally managed to make a chisel head...

And now i know what was missing... the ingot remembers it's last 3 workings over. and will go back to the same place it was beforehand...

Now all i need to figure out is hot to prepare the ingot so that it can be in the right spot before making the final 3 hits.. is the math for how many light hits there are for a heavy hit anywhere? it would help me a ton i think.

Guide for Anvil

i put the math for everything in the anvil there

Thanks. That really does help. Now that i know how far each button moves the marker i am able to make the tools without the durability being quite so random.

Thanks. That really does help. Now that i know how far each button moves the marker i am able to make the tools without the durability being quite so random.

No Problum Good Luck

You should consider looking for a nice hill to place the working area up there. Apparently it makes a big difference...

Antice, the starting points aren't random every time. What is happening is after you work a bar and reheat it, it starts at the same point you had before. Just like in real life, it's a bit harder to work a bar that has already been worked incorrectly. Unlike real life, you get to rework it as much as you like :). Thankfully in the beta 2 you don't have to get it spot on anymore, you just get slightly reduced durability. I am the master of pickaxes and saws, but I have trouble with swords/axes. It's a learning process :P. My piece of advice for you and everyone else is to have plenty of ingots to work with before you try to learn how to properly make the tools. Conversely, you can just keep heating the bar to melting and make a fresh bar to practice on.

You should consider looking for a nice hill to place the working area up there. Apparently it makes a big difference...

I know about the heat advantage to building your forge up high, but to be honest. you can easily cover that with the use of a bellows. a firepit at sea level can melt the lowest tier of ores no problem. it just takes a bit longer, thus giving you a better chance to get the ingot out again before it is too late.

Antice, the starting points aren't random every time. What is happening is after you work a bar and reheat it, it starts at the same point you had before. Just like in real life, it's a bit harder to work a bar that has already been worked incorrectly. Unlike real life, you get to rework it as much as you like :). Thankfully in the beta 2 you don't have to get it spot on anymore, you just get slightly reduced durability. I am the master of pickaxes and saws, but I have trouble with swords/axes. It's a learning process :P. My piece of advice for you and everyone else is to have plenty of ingots to work with before you try to learn how to properly make the tools. Conversely, you can just keep heating the bar to melting and make a fresh bar to practice on.

I did finally notice the not random thing after 20 or so tries. I also found that you can reheat your bar a bit between the moves, thus allowing you to plan your next button press. Indeed, when i finally managed to make that bizmuth chisel i wanted, I ended up doing one press, then reheating, then another press and so on. in fact. with the ability to allow the ingot to sit there and cool down while you plan the next move makes it easier to get closer to the mark by just eyeballing the difference. what i did was write down the 3 last moves, then eyeballing how far the arrow moved, then I sort of hammered it into a starting position that would get it close enough to the mark then do the finishing combo.

I've actually been playing this mod for over a week now, and when i made this thread it was the first time i actually had any ore worth melting. I keep having terrible luck with the terrain gen, and getting killed by the environment and skelleton archers. hardcore is quite unforgiving.

btw. I am uploading some of my hardcore tries to youtube. the first attempt to get to the iron age starts here.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0