Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kurzninja

Coal into Coke

29 posts in this topic

Gasification processes turn hydrocarbons into carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas

The charring method is pyrolysis. I'm also really confused why you think the charring process should have higher yields than a beehive coke oven

Your quoted yields seem unreasonably low. It sounds the British coke makers described in that link used to make charcoal, but switched to coke and tried to produce the coke using the same exact method (governments used to restrict charcoal production because it led to rampant deforestation). It sounds like they didn`t understand that coal contained more carbon than wood, so they didn`t realize they were burning thier product by processing it too long. Or if they did, they thought it was uninvitable?

Either way if the charring method is introduced to TFC instead of Beehive coke ovens, the process should still give ~twice as much coke as it does charcoal. Otherwise what is the point of adding coke.

Gasification processes turn hydrocarbons into carbon monoxide and hydrogen gasThe charring method is pyrolysis. I'm also really confused why you think the charring process should have higher yields than a beehive coke ovenYour quoted yields seem unreasonably low. It sounds the British coke makers described in that link used to make charcoal, but switched to coke and tried to produce the coke using the same exact method (governments used to restrict charcoal production because it led to rampant deforestation). It sounds like they didn`t understand that coal contained more carbon than wood, so they didn`t realize they were burning thier product by processing it too long. Or if they did, they thought it was uninvitable?Either way if the charring method is introduced to TFC instead of Beehive coke ovens, the process should still give ~twice as much coke as it does charcoal. Otherwise what is the point of adding coke.

Yeah, I'm sorry for the confusing wording, I forgot that the process is call pyrolysis, however you got the point so whatever. The low yields were caused by many reasons like: inefficiencies in beehive construction, heat damage, lack of experience, inefficient cooling, etc. Like it was stated in the video, the heat from those mass production Beehive ovens would melt brick during processing, plus it took longer to process larger quantities of coke due to both charring and cooling time. The efficiency was increased when quenching was introduced, but the coke still had to be drawn out to dry.Early coke makers did not have as much experience in preventing the problems that can waste coal as well as a tried-and-true method of cooking. It just hadn't been done long enough. Pyrolysis done right can prevent coal from simply burning up and being turned to ash, this is why it is more efficient (I don't want to defend this method anymore, it was only an example).Edit: I believe the article only talks about beehive ovens and even specific quotes using beehive ovens in the 1800's had 40-50% yields. But real life yields don't really matter, they can be changed for balancing.

Guys I think you're over complicating things a bit. It doesn't need to be so realistic that it's more of a hassle than it is helpful. The process should be somewhat realistic but not so much that is tedious. That's just my opinion though.