Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NegiMagica209

Difficulty Settings and World Generation

10 posts in this topic

Things in the On option are also/or modified in the Hardcore option. I'll change things up soon.

I've lurked through all the suggestions and have seen many things that fit well with the TFC feel and some that are out there in the extremes and awsomes. So I came up with an idea nd posted it here ( http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/545-super-hardcore-for-real-badass-players/ ), but it didn't go anywhere so I decided to post it again here, but in greater detail.

My idea is to create options in the game menu and in the world generation menu that will give the mod more customization for a wider variety of players. Some of these ideas you might bring up the argument that if people don;t want a hardcore surviving experience then why play it? Well, I say theres more to this mod so far and more to come that can also be fun doing without having to worry about living. Now I personally would love to play this game with all of its hardcoreism including the suggestions here, but some players might find some of it tedeious and frustrating so I devised a chart of menu options to customize your experience. Weither you are a normal survival player, a 'real badass player', or a casual crafter.

Survival Setings:

Hunger:

On - You will get hungry over time. Hunger effects Thirst and Exhaustion, not your Health.

Off - You don't need to eat.

Hardcore - Hunger will effect your Health.

Thirst:

On - You will get thirsty over time. Thirst effects Exhaustion, not your Health.

Off - You won't get thirsty.

Hardcore - Hotter biomes and lower depths effect Thirst.

Exhaustion:

On - You will get exhausted over time and with work. Exhaustion leads to slow movement.

Off - You won't need to sleep.

Hardcore - Continuous exhaustion will lead a forced sleep on site.

Torches:

On - Torches will burn out after a few days. Weather and depth will effect torch life.

Off - Torches will not burn out.

Hardcore - Torches will burn out after a day.

Food:

On - Food will spoil after a few days. Cannot stack food.

Off - Food will not spoil. Can stack food.

Hardcore - Spoiled food will spoil other food quicker. Cannot stack food.

Equipment:

On - Equipment will require maintainence to keep from degrading over time.

Off - Equipment will not degrade over time, only with use.

Hardcore - (can't think of anything)

Wood:

On - Wood will rot if exposed to the weather.

Off - Wood will not rot.

Hardcore - Rot Wood will rot other wood in piles or lockboxes faster.

(Rot Wood can be used for compost.)

Water:

On - Water is Finite

Off - Water is Infinite

(Hardcore would be flooding, which is in the environmental options below.)

(This is probably very hard to code.)

Air:

On - The lower you are the harder it is to breath.

Off - No need to worry about oxygen levels.

Hardcore - Pockets of Methane and Sulfuric Gas will sufficate you.

(Quickly, find a low tech way to conquer the hardcore problem which includes was to harness these gases as well.)

Heat:

On - The location of Campfires and so on are effected by climate, air, weather.

Off - Stable heat at any hieght or weather condition.

Hardcore - (Can't think of anything.)

Environment:

Cave-in:

On - Cave-ins have a chance to occur in non- supported caves.

Off - Cave-in's won't occur.

Hardcore - Cave-ins lead to instant Death if on top of player. Cave-ins occur more frequently. And have a chance to happen in supported caves as well.

Landslide:

On - Landslides may occur in rainy weather.

Off - Landslides won't occur.

Hurricane:

On - Hurricanes may occur. Damages trees, puts out heat-based items, chance to knock down fence, signs, and glass.

Off - Hurricanes won't occur.

Blizzards:

On - Blizzards will occur. Freezes both standing and flowinf water. Damages livestock and crops.

Off - Blizzards won't occur.

Hardcore - Blizzards damage players exposed to it.

Sandstorms:

On - Sandstorms occur. Dries up shallow water. Covers things in sand. Damages livestock and crops. Makes the Thirst bar deplete faster.

Off - Sandstorms won't occur.

Hardcore - Sandstorms damage players exposed to it.

Floods:

On - Floods may occur in rainy weather. Damages crops and washes away Campfires, Signs, Redstone, Logpiles, etc.

Off - Floods won't occur.

Hardcore - Flashfloods have a chance of happening.

Fires:

On - Forest fires may occur. Damage is obvious.

Off - Fires will only happen naturally with lava pools and the player.

Hardcore - Firestorm. Forest fire spreads rapidly.

Earthquakes:

On - Earthquakes may occur. Damages are very obvious. Causes Cave-ins even when turned off, also in supported areas.

Off - No Earthquakes.

World Generation:

Dens:

On - Monster Dens spawn in the world.

Off - No Monster Dens.

Quicksand:

On - Random Patches of Quicksand will spawn in correct biomes.

Off - No Quicksand.

Volcanoes:

On - Volcanoes will spawn in the world.

Off - No Volcanoes.

Tell me what you think and give feed back as to wha to put in the spots that are empty. Also, tell me if you think of anything else that could be added to this options list.

Wow, so many options... could they be grouped by type of danger? Like "hostile terrain" for volcanoes, quicksand and landslides...

EDIT: ok, I see six types of dangers...

• Human limitations: thirst, hunger, exaustion, air. This is your fight against yourself.
  • Equipment limitations: heat, manteinance, torches. This is your fight against your tools.
  • World dangers: earthquakes, volcanos. These are dangers related to how terrain works on a macro scale.
  • Terrain dangers: cave ins, quicksand, landslides. These are dangers related to terrain in a local scale.
  • Weather dangers: hurricanes, blizzards, sandstorms, floods. Weather dangers in all their glory.
  • Other limitations: water, wood, food. The devil is in the details... do you have to hunt each day for fresh food, or you can work ahead? water is easy to optain? that rain will spoil your wood pile?

I would change the damage on hardcore to on, and make hardcore just give more damage

Well, to be honest. I made this suggestion not for what would be good options in the options menu, but to have athe ability to change the options if desired. Yes I will fine tune these exmples, but it's really just to bring light to the suggestion of being able to customize your playing experience if and only if most of this forums suggestions are included. Liek the ones stated above.

To start, I like the idea of having all of these options. I hope an SMP server would be able to manage the options serverside.

Food: Perhaps the food bar in hardcore mode would be directly tied to your maximum health, but your health would always slowly regenerate. Eating food would increase your maximum health and provide a slight increase in health regeneration depending on the amount of food it provides. This way you can directly see the effect lower food has on you (less hearts) and it won't look like you're getting hurt over and over when you are out of food. Perhaps if the food bar stays empty for a day, you will perish from lack of nourishment.

Finite Water: I don't think it's possible to have Finite water on SMP. But if it is, I think it would be great to have (for vanilla and TFcraft both).

Weather: I'd love to see a weather system implemented... I think Mojang made a step in the right direction by adding global weather, but what MC really needs is seasons. We have this huge variety of trees, but they all work differently. We should have a winter where the leaves fall off some types of trees, but others keep their leaves. Along with this could come the heat/thirst system. I'd like to have to put on a parka if I'm outside in winter, but put on some shorts and a t-shirt in the summer.

Armor: Armor is pretty hard to craft, so I think regular maintenance should be a hardcore-mode deal. Just turning the option on would reduce the protection you get from the armor, and having it off would keep armor at its default levels of damage reduction.

Food: I love the rotting food idea, I put that in my own post. Not stacking food is an interesting idea, but I think certain foods should be able to stack together, such as apples/bread/wheat. A large object such as a steak or mushroom stew needs to be carried separately.

Thanks for the input guys I'll make some adjustments soon.

By the way, anything that is in the On option is also in the Hardcore option I'll change it to clarify more. At the moment I have very little time to be on so I'll change it soon.

Jivix: the idea of non stacking food is because there'd be a durability bar. That and this is based off of ideas found throughout this forum. So if you check out my cooking suggestion, there are meals that have multiple uses so it'd justify cooking since you can't stack food. It stacks because it degrades at the same time. You just wouldn't be able to stack two meals together.

Finite Water: I don't think it's possible to have Finite water on SMP. But if it is, I think it would be great to have (for vanilla and TFcraft both).

Really? In fact I see it as really easy. If you pick a water bucket, or you make a hole in a water container, this removes one water block from it's column (or one each server tick until there's no water on level with the hole). Caution, this may be dense...

• You may right click with the bucket in any water block of the "pond", but the water you are picking will be the one on the top of the column (water goes all the way down on its own weight).
  • Once the surface block is detected, you search arround the block to see how big is the water in surface level... it could be a pond, it could be an ocean. lets say the limiting difference is 1024 blocks. If you find 1024 blocks, you consider the water as an infinite source (or a too big to be noticed the water removed).
  • Suppose the surface is a 8x8 pond full to the top. You got 64 water cubes on surface. So you remove one and divide by the number of blocks. That's 63/64 of water in each of those cubes.
  • You round down that 63/64 to the step height you want to let the water have. Say each block can be 8 heights, from 0 (empty block) to 7 (block nearly full). So that translates into a 7/8, or height 7 in the water block. Give that height to all the surface blocks found.
As I see it is a search for surface block, search for all blocks on same height of surface block (that can be cached, so there's no need to search again the next server tick), and an update on those blocks to change the water height. Since this water block search can be done allways at the same time, the operation can be a messages like "give water level 7 to all the blocks on level with the water block at 30, 45, 120", and let the client do part of the job. Not so much of network transmission...

But of course, this algorithm is too easy, there's no check for a lowering the water level if there's a water block over it. That may be part of the "find the upper water block of the column" trick, so that the water surface block don't have to be over the drained block.

Well Dan, I only said that I thought it wasn't possible because there's been a FiniteWater mod out for a very long time now, but they haven't been able to port to SMP. Perhaps there is some aspect of SMP that we don't get, or maybe there aren't the proper hooks in Forge, or whatnot.

My mind just exploded... @_@

Sorry, I have a tendency of speaking native computerish from time to time... I hope that has some meaning to the right people, though.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0