Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vinilux

A few things that bother me

34 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I realized there are too many pits of death in every world I play in. Are devs going to fix this? The amount of them is ridiculously high and they don't fit very well in my opinion, they are a bit ugly.

I personally thing that danger and risk have not to be directly related to these pits.

Also, I've seen a ew videos of this mod and now it's like the hunger bar depletes too fast and sometimes I see no food. You can notice that hunger drains a lot quicker than thirst.

Third issue: Is there any specific place where wheat grows naturally? It seems that if I don't find wheat I wont be able to bring animals into my base. I always run into food problems.

The pits of death are only extremely common in areas with a sedimentary stone surface area, and areas with high seismic activity. You just got a bad seed that spawned you in one of those areas so it seems like they are ridiculously common.

A few people have brought up the rate at which hunger depletes. It's still under consideration.

Wheat really has no specific requirements for spawning randomly that are different from any other crop. The way that crops work in TFC is that the map is divided up into a grid where each section is 8 Chunks by 8 Chunks (or 128 blocks by 128 blocks). Each section has a specific crop chosen at random to spawn there. So basically, if you find a crop that isn't wheat, try walking like 100 blocks to see if you can find a different crop, rinse and repeat.

It should also be noted that farm animals will follow any grain, not just wheat (This is why most of the mobs pages and the Animal Husbandry page on the wiki have the Outdated disclaimer at the top). You can also lead them with ropes if you have found jute.

I was about to ask on the pits too... Nerver really understood the amount of WTF holes near the surface. Since is a sedimentary "issue" only, i will look up the next time I build up a base. =/

I noticed they are very common on the coasts, next to water. A lot of times you are walking long the coast and grass a lot of times collapses. I don't know if they are biome specific, but every map I play I see them too often, whih in my opinions ruins a little bit my experiene, It looke ugly as i said. Don't take me wrong, some ravines or as you called it "WTF holes, LOL" they are nice, but when they are too common, over the normal ratio it's just ridiculous.

Another thing I'd like to ask is: Are anvil recipes always the same or is there a randomness in the red arrow?

I have to admit that they are a bit to common, even not in sedimentary stone types on the surface. In my TerraFirmaCraft world, there are pits everywhere, yet the stone type on the top layer and on the ground is Dacite, which is ingenious extrusive. And I'm pretty sure that anvils have the same recipe, 7 metal double ingots in the crafting area except for the middle square on the side columns. One thing though, what do you mean by the red arrow?

Another thing I'd like to ask is: Are anvil recipes always the same or is there a randomness in the red arrow?

I mean, when you are going to craft something out of an ingot, the upper red arrow is placed somewhere in the progress bar and you have to match it with the green arrow.

Does the red arrow position randomly everytime you are going to make an item even if it is the same tool everytime?

I mean if you are making a sword a bunch of times, is the red arrow going to position at the place everytime or is it going to be randomized somehow?

The red arrow position is determined by the

• World Seed
  • Tool
  • Metal

So a wrought iron pickaxe on one world will have the same red arrow position every time. But a black steel pickaxe in that same world will have a different red arrow position in comparison to the wrought iron one.

A wrought iron shovel in the same world will also have a different red arrow position from the pickaxe, because even though they are the same metal, they are a different tool.

Ah cool. Definitely smithing must be my favourite feature :-)

seismic activity and "pits".... really interesting. It gives a sense to those in another words.

Is dunk and bioxx considering the implementation of real earthquakes? Damn.

seismic activity and "pits".... really interesting. It gives a sense to those in another words.

Is dunk and bioxx considering the implementation of real earthquakes? Damn.

I feel as if that would just melt someones computer, the amount of block updates would be insane, and just cause lag on an unholy scale.

If you're in a seed that mimics Siberia you might find the WTF holes are significantly larger...

and to the OP, if you're running out of food you really just need to search a bit harder. unless you are right near the equator food lasts for ages in a vessel and animals produce huge amounts of food so if you find 4 boy pigs then killing one isnt a problem and will feed you for ages. I'm still chowing down on some venison slaughtered three years ago. Thats not to mention that there is food literally everywhere on the ground (depending on the season). Finding a fruit tree, for example, will give enough food for many many months.

Thanks for those advices. I found a quite a lot of bushes but the thing is that if they don't grow for winter It's gonna be tough.

I'll have to look for an animal i guess.

I was going to post a suggestion that linked back to this thread but will just necro this thread instead.  (sorry if it's in wrong place, having some buggy vbulletin issues)

I agree with the OP about the "pits of death".  Too many holes, too many chasms.  It's really the one and only thing about tfc that kind of annoys me.  Also, it seems like its more than just one or two "unlucky" seeds to me, I notice them on every world I've created.  I understand what they are and why they were implemented. My suggestion is:  Why not give us a config option to disable "seismic activity" and caves "breaking through to the surface".  That way those of us who prefer not to have holes all over the place can turn them OFF.  :)

I was going to post a suggestion that linked back to this thread but will just necro this thread instead.  (sorry if it's in wrong place, having some buggy vbulletin issues)

I agree with the OP about the "pits of death".  Too many holes, too many chasms.  It's really the one and only thing about tfc that kind of annoys me.  Also, it seems like its more than just one or two "unlucky" seeds to me, I notice them on every world I've created.  I understand what they are and why they were implemented. My suggestion is:  Why not give us a config option to disable "seismic activity" and caves "breaking through to the surface".  That way those of us who prefer not to have holes all over the place can turn them OFF.  :)

I'd suggest paying closer attention to the rock type that your worlds are starting in. If the top layer is sedimentary stone, then there will be more ravines and caves. The same goes for if it reads Seismic: 1 on the F3 debug menu.

Disabling seismic activity would also mean completely removing lava from world generation, which I doubt anybody wants to do. As for disabling caves "breaking through to the surface" this is waaaay harder said than done because on top of all the world generation there are gravity affected blocks (Dirt, Sand, Gravel). Caves didn't properly break through the surface in earlier builds of TFC, but it resulted in really weird pits of fallen dirt because they did generate high enough that it created air pockets underneath the thick dirt layer to fall into. It also ended up with areas that simply had a 1-thick layer of grass that appeared to be safe, but as soon as something walked on it everything collapsed.

I do think it would be interesting if somebody generated a relatively large vanilla world and used a map to calculate the average caves per area, and then generate a TFC world of the same size to compare. I honestly think that the values are going to come out to be fairly similar.

Hi Kitty.  Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have not been playing tfc for very long and was not aware that some of it is tied in with fixes to older problems such as dirt collapsing when you walk on them.  What about the big chasms though?  Looking through the change log archives, I find these two items in build 78.0:

-Added seismically active areas which can spawn fissures and hot springs. Stability: 1 on the F3 debug screen means the area is active.

-Caves generate all the way up to the surface. Be careful as this may also cause sink holes. Caves are more more common in sedimentary rocks.

Any chance for a config or world build options to revert the above two tweaks?  (I don't mean completely revert the seismically active areas mind you, just the bit about spawning fissures)

As for vanilla having the same number of caves, you are probably right.  But the caves in vanilla are actually caves and don't look so ugly.  In tfc, I think they are better classified as pits. 

Anyways, I don't mean to make a big deal of it, just if it's possible, it would be nice to give the player some control over these things.  Thanks. :D

See my above post about making the config options. I already answered.

Edit: To clarify:

• If we revert the first tweak, it removes lava from world generation.
  • If we remove the second tweak, it results "in really weird pits of fallen dirt because they did generate high enough that it created air pockets underneath the thick dirt layer to fall into. It also ended up with areas that simply had a 1-thick layer of grass that appeared to be safe, but as soon as something walked on it everything collapsed."

• If we revert the first tweak, it removes lava from world generation.

• Right, but like I said in my post, I don't mean revert seismic areas or remove lava, just the bit about spawning chasms.  So to clarify:  I am suggesting a config that says "don't spawn fissures in seismic areas"

Fissures are not chasms. They are the 1-block wide tunnels that you find in hot springs and water puddles.

Ah.  So what do we call those big wide cracks I find everywhere.  Those are in vanilla mc as well, but not nearly as common.  It seems.

Ravines, which have nothing to do with seismically active areas really, and also spawn at the same rate as in vanilla.

Really?  I've spent a bit of time floating around in creative with both versions.  They seems way more common in tfc.  In vanilla, I might find 1 (or zero) ravines in 10 minutes of just flying around.  In the tfc, they are just everywhere.

Maybe TFC has more ravines that break the surface. Other than that, vanilla MC also has a lot of ravines in my opinion. 

Ravines and lava lakes are the one thing i would remove instantly. They have no place in a somewhat realistic mod and even in normal MC they suck.

I have a jungle near the equator that is unplayable. There are bushes everywhere and ravines below, you walk around and suddenly drop to death... because jungles are known for their ravines...

Ravines and lava lakes are the one thing i would remove instantly. They have no place in a somewhat realistic mod and even in normal MC they suck.

I have a jungle near the equator that is unplayable. There are bushes everywhere and ravines below, you walk around and suddenly drop to death... because jungles are known for their ravines...

I guess you've never actually done a zipline in a jungle then... because jungle ravines are actually pretty common.

Agumbe Rainforest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Amazon Jungle:

Posted Image

Galapagos Islands:

Posted Image

Random stock image:

Posted Image

CAMP GONSALVES, OKINAWA, Japan:

Posted Image

Talking about realism, You are not supposed to go walking in the jungle without seeing where you are stepping.

Maybe we need a new tool in the game, THE MACHETE.

Posted Image

Jokes aside, just use a scythe to clear the way. Jungles are supposed to be dangerous.