Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vinilux

A few things that bother me

34 posts in this topic

Look, if you count the surface blocks of my jungle island, it has more ravine-blocks than actual dirt-ground-blocks. And those ravines go out to the beach and oh... ofc no water and sand are filling it up because MCs water physics have been shit from the beginning and they will never change.

With 1.8 the first thing i did was create a new map without caves and ravines and you know what ? it was a blessing! Wish i could do that in TFC but i dont want to abandon my world so...

Totally in favor of customization for world gen. I wish I could specify before hand if the world is going to be mostly a bunch of small islands or giant continents.

That being said, I think is more about how people play the game, Many people actually enjoy the dangers and the building opportunities that the ravines bring.

In my server I have players that build their base inside ravines and the wood bridges are really nice.

I don't need fully featured world gen customization. I'd be happy with just the option to turn off ravines like they have in vanilla 1.8. Bottom line: a lot of players, including myself, are put off by the presence of giant holes all over the place. They are unnatural looking and can ruin the aesthetics. And yes vanilla probably technically has the same qtys of caves and ravines. But since vanilla does not have code to replace all the blocks between an otherwise buried ravine/cave and the surface with air, it's an irrelevant comparison. Buried ravines don't ruin the aesthetics. Overkill of huge open canyons do.

I'd just like to see ravines get worked into the overall world gen in a way that feels more natural rather than just inserting the vanilla ones. Ravines are often the product of erosion from running water, but you'd never know that from playing TFC. It doesn't make sense to have 1 block separating the edge of a ravine from the edge of an ocean or lake.

Going to have to agree that ravines need to either be removed, reworked or reduced. They are huge, numerous, and quite an eyesore. If they spawned less frequently and looked more natural, it wouldn't bother me so much, but I can't take ten steps in any of my worlds without having to walk around a huge gaping chasm that looks completely out of place.

There is actually a proposed code to allow configuration of ravine/fissure generation. It is ready for merging, but needs some testing and being approved:

Added configuration option to control ravine generation frequency, including possibility to turn it off.[...]Added configuration option to control fissure generation.

not sure if it is such a good idea: world generation will not be exclusively controlled by seed.

There is actually a proposed code to allow configuration of ravine/fissure generation. It is ready for merging, but needs some testing and being approved:not sure if it is such a good idea: world generation will not be exclusively controlled by seed.

Ah, well it would definitely be nice to have the option, thanks for posting that.

Ah, well it would definitely be nice to have the option, thanks for posting that.

not sure if it will get approved...but I really like the ravines, even if a bit exagerated as near my base - kind of a stickman pointing to the base - easy to find it if we were in a plane (or using a map) [:-)post-14819-0-37524500-1423605430_thumb.j

Looks like a Chinese character :D