Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iblt

Garnierite generation specifics

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I just signed up a few seconds ago to post this question.

I've been playing terrafirmacraft for a few weeks now and absolutely love it.  It's made survival minecraft fun for me again.

I am wondering if anyone knows the specifics of garnierite ore generation.  I know it only spawns in gabbro rock.  Luckily there is a large gabbro area directly under my base.  (I chose the site for other reasons, didn't even know about gabbro rock then)  Right away I found a medium deposit of poor garnierite and now I have used an iron and a steel pick searching for more and am wondering if there are any y coordinate spawning restrictions. In other words, are my chances of finding some better at a certain height?  Or does it have an equal change of spawning anywhere in gabbro rock?  Any other useful things to know about garnierite generation in general?

Right now I'm using the mining suggestion found on this forum, I've dug a central corridor the length of the gabbro layer and every 22 blocks I'm branching out... so far nothing other than the small poor vein I found right away.  Am thinking of giving up on red and blue steel, which is a shame because I really liked the game so far...

Garnierite can spawn by default between y=5 and y=128

It by default spawns on average in 1 in every 150 chunks that contain gabbro

I don't think height changes the probability

Lets put it this way, in season 1 of Terrafirmacrack, it took some people on Team Pants 5 real life days of searching gabbro rock to find it

Its reasonably rare considering how rarely nickel is found in gabbro rock, but nickel is rarer in TFC than in real life because TFC does not include many nickel containing ores

The TFC ores are based off of the game Dwarf Fortress, and DF nickel can only be found in Garnierite

You can look in the TFCore.cfg to see the restrictions on the ore spawning

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.  

So since I already found one vein in my current gabbro layer, am I probably better off looking for a second gabbro layer?

Also, I think I found the TFCore.cfg file, but how do I view it?

… So since I already found one vein in my current gabbro layer, am I probably better off looking for a second gabbro layer? …

Generation is per chunk not per stone layer. So you're just as likely to find garnierite in the chunk right next to the one you found as in any chunk in another gabbro layer.

Because of the general size of ore veins and the distance the prospector's pick can search, your best bet is to search every other chunk in a grid which covers the gabbro layer. You can save ladders, time, and pickaxe durability by digging a safe 1-wide hole:

Posted Image

Dig down two blocks and place a ladder in the bottom block. Repeat in a spiral (zig-zag will work too but I find a spiral requires less thinking).

Stand on top of a ladder when digging down to avoid falls and the mining slowdown of sneaking on a ladder. You can exit the hole by jump-climbing.

If the hole was a bust, you might be able to recover some ladders by turning rocks into cobblestone and jump-stacking at the bottom.

It's just a text file, any old text file reader should understand it.

I'm not a Windows user, but, doesnt notepad read it? Or maybe try notepad++ (its free).

yes, notepad can read it.  Thanks again for the replies.  Munin295, I'm going to try your method of checking all the chunks.

Also, what would you have to do so garnierite spawns in more rock than just gabbro.  

I am clueless when it comes to computer code writing.  Can you change that in the config files or are config files just to let you know how the code is written?

Config files help the program to know how it should be run, not the other way around.

Scan through the config, other ores spawn in more chunks, for example, graphite, just below garnierite, spawns in 4 types of rock, if you want garnierite to spawn if different rocks then either copy and paste from a different ore (like graphite) or just write it in yourself.

It's all written in English so it should make sense pretty much (ignore the I: and S: at the start of lines, these are clues for the compiler/interpreter).

yeah, I think it makes sense.  My question is, what happens if I would add rock types to garnierite.  Would it be able spawn in those as well then?  I highly suspect there is much more to it than that or everyone would be making garnierite spawn like crazy.  

It.. really is that easy.

As to why everyone doesn't do it, well, there's the fact that it's totally cheating XD

Also, for smp, naturally only the server owner could do it, anyway. Client-side changes to that config wouldn't affect the server, only ssp.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0