Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jivix

Uses for Ores? Gems?

33 posts in this topic

I have been doing some research on metallurgy, trying to figure out what the ores in the game might be used for in the future.

Pitchblende (or Uraninite) is uranium ore, could potentially be used for refining into Uranium ingots for Ic2.

I'm not sure about Jet or Petrified wood. What use could we have for jewelry?

Perhaps we could make compasses directly from Magnetite?

Gypsum is a soft ore that can be made into plaster of paris, used for fertiliser, or used as a construction material.

Finally, Wikipedia says the following for Cryolite: "The difficulty of separating aluminium from oxygen in the oxide ores was overcome by the use of cryolite as a flux to dissolve the oxide mineral(s)." Perhaps Aluminum will make an appearance for making more alloys?

Any other thoughts?

Personally I am hopeful they will eventually have the ability to be made into blocks for decoration much as how the vanilla minecraft gem blocks work.

My traditional catacombs in DF is always made of kaolinite for the warriors, marble for the commoners and whatever the dark blue stone is for the nobles. I love decorative blocks.

Yes, I know. Two seperate games that have nearly nothing to do with each other, but like many others, it was a love for DF that drew me to this mod.

Posted Image

Yes. Gem encrusting blocks would be awesome. Maybe we should have to do our own gem cutting like in DF? Speaking of which **hops off to play some DF**

Gem encrusting tools, armor and weapons would be awesome.

So perhaps with all the SMP emphasis, we should have some kind of wearable decoration, like crowns and such, to show off our incredible mining prowess?

All of those ideas sound great to me. :)

I also hope there's some kind of enchantment system that gems can be used for. No idea how the details of that would work out though. Maybe certain gems can be placed in weapons/armor for some kind of benefit -- e.g adding a ruby to an armor piece will add fire resistance or some such.

I like the idea of useing gems for enchanting in addition to just decoration. It adds another level to the enchanting process and a means for more precise enchanting. Only certain types of gems should be able to hold certain types of enchantments and quality should determine power.

Maybe something similar to diablo's socket system? And even then, there's the issue of "realism" as well. It would be logical that if we want more and more realism, that enchanting would be taken out with this mod. However, gems would increase the value of items at the very least.

agreed it all depends on the path that wants to be taken but if there is a desire for "realistic" fantasy elements then the gem enchanting system could work. It makes more sense than just poof an item is enchanted.

Well all know that Diablo II and Dwarf Fortress are reality, and the world we think is real is just an illusion. Duh. Of course gem crafting makes sense :P

LOL Yup. Back when I played D2, I had a fun time hexing items and armor for custom tints/colors. In fact..... I might go reinstall D2. It's been so long haha.

A n idea for gems would be using them for coins, the higher value of coin + higher valcue of metal = more valuable coins. This, in turn, could be used as a trading item. Hell, perhaps even ask the creators of Millenaire how to make them useable as currency in that mod.

Not too hard in theory. You give items a flag/variable called 'value' or something and then they only trade when it's equal to or in their favor to trade (unless they don't think what they're trading away is very valuable since value is relative).

I'm just hoping that the gems can be combined or refined somehow. I want this mod to work with other mods that may use Diamonds (Read: IC2) and I would need to at least be able to get them somehow other than random chance. I guess there's always Kimberlite.

I would love to see jewel and coin piles in the world, like wood piles but with a visual key depending on how many are in it. (1 jewel = small pile, 2 jewels = larger, 3 = medium, 4 = largest) I'd love to be able to swim in wealth. :D

Haha yeah bioxx, before you do anything with the gems, make them "blockable" (just like logs) with a nice texture of lots n lots of colors!

So we can have a room filled with it! ^^

You can make a medallion that can be enchanted, doesn't give armor protection but lasts for more time. That way you can wear your enchantment.

I don't think ic2 compatibility is very high on our to-do list, sorry.

TFC uses Forge's Ore Dictionary, right? So IC2 should recognize TFC copper/tin/bronze ingots as copper, tin, and bronze. Probably only the fully cooled ones you can stack, which haven't been worked(In other words, ones w/out metadata), but still, if I really want IC2 in my TFC world (Dunno why I would, but for the sake of argument...), then I can have it. It would take an amazing amount of work, but still. You CAN have IC2 in TFC. You just need to spend forever working on it.

TFC uses Forge's Ore Dictionary, right? So IC2 should recognize TFC copper/tin/bronze ingots as copper, tin, and bronze. Probably only the fully cooled ones you can stack, which haven't been worked(In other words, ones w/out metadata), but still, if I really want IC2 in my TFC world (Dunno why I would, but for the sake of argument...), then I can have it. It would take an amazing amount of work, but still. You CAN have IC2 in TFC. You just need to spend forever working on it.

If you can get ic2 to function at all, go ahead, but we aren't devoting any time towards that.

If you can get ic2 to function at all, go ahead, but we aren't devoting any time towards that.

but you have to admit that would be awesome right?

I actually think it would be a pretty legitimate extension of TFC

Looking through the recipe list, the only problems I see are: rubber trees, getting them to generate in TFC; Lapis, does it exist in TFC? I haven't seen it but I have not got very deep in the world; glowstone, this would seem easy to add in.

It would be much harder to do... most things, I know you can get redstone, but I've never seen it and I have a feeling it's not as bloody common as vanilla, this would make it much more appropriate I think for an industrial scale project...

Stop making it sound so good. People will just keep begging us to make it, and after all that begging for days and days... We'll probably do something horrible to the mod just to spite you guys :(

I just wish there was a use for gems already, I mean with how much the sluice picks them up, and the ones you find mining, it would really help if they had a use.