Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jivix

Uses for Ores? Gems?

33 posts in this topic

I use gems as currency, cause me and the guys on my server know that they'll be super, super useful someday hopefully soon :)

Hey, me and my friends have been trying out TFC on a server the past week or so and a use for gems has been something we've talked about a bunch.

The idea we seem to end up on each time is using them as an enhancement system that would replace vanilla enchantments using "Gem dust". Crushing say, a diamond, and applying it to the edge of a tool or weapon would add Efficiency/Sharpness and the like. If there aren't enough vanilla enchantments that fit the TFC realism, perhaps split the gems into groups, which would give the same enhancement. Better grade gems could give more dust when crushed. Needing something to crush gems with means you could effectively "price out" enhancing tools with a high crafting cost to stop it being overpowered in the early game, though the crushing machine (maybe a grindstone?) would lend itself nicely to some of the new crops too, so maybe a high crafting cost would shut down farming which wouldn't be so good.

Of course, no-one seems to be opposed to decorative blocks either, though perhaps limiting the gems that can be used for them to the higher grades would make them less obtainable in number and more of a fancy decoration.

Thanks for the work you've put in, this is a nice change of pace from our usual IC2/RP2 setup.

Gems are far easier to acquire with sluices than through standard mining, and, as far as I know, there's no particular strategy for getting them other than using sand instead of gravel.

When we finally get a use for gems, I hope that acquiring them will be a bit more strategic. Maybe gem types could be tied to the types of rock or dirt in the area, similar to ores.

Please don't refer to tool improvements as "enchanting"... I use mods like this one to get away from the "magic" part of Minecraft where you would add some fairy dust to make items magically better.

Let's just say, leave the "magic" (IMHO cheat) modding to EE.

That said, lining your axe, handsaw and pickaxe with crushed diamonds makes sense as a speed improvement and maybe even a requirement to mine the harder rock types?

What remains is gems as a currency and for decorative purposes...

And finally, in a very distant future when no more stoneage/bronzeage etc stuff remains to be done, gems could see a use again in industrial applications like lasers and whatnot.

Please don't refer to tool improvements as "enchanting"... I use mods like this one to get away from the "magic" part of Minecraft where you would add some fairy dust to make items magically better.

That said, lining your axe, handsaw and pickaxe with crushed diamonds makes sense as a speed improvement and maybe even a requirement to mine the harder rock types?

What remains is gems as a currency and for decorative purposes...

And finally, in a very distant future when no more stoneage/bronzeage etc stuff remains to be done, gems could see a use again in industrial applications like lasers and whatnot.

You do realize there are plenty of other mods that use magic right? that aren't "cheating" even though EE3 is supposed to be balanced. Also EE was never cheaty, just that when used with other mods, it became more powerful. Also there wouldn't be anything remotely close to lasers and such in TFC, because of it being more about survival and most of the items are roughly medieval, at least that's how I see it anyways and I'm sure others would agree.

I would just like a use for them, because I get tired of just throwing them away. I mean even with RP, you only had tungsten with no use, but this mod adds a bunch of gems, as well as a few ores that are useless.

Hence I said enhancing, rather than enchanting.

At least in the most recent version, Ore Dictionary does not recognize TFC copper, tin, or iron/steel alloys. I tried making IC2 copper wire, batteries, and an iron furnace using the TFC metals and none of them would work, although converting TFC wrought iron to vanilla iron and using that works for the iron furnace, of course.

TFC uses Forge's Ore Dictionary, right?

It used to have it, but, it's broken currently.

Lapis, does it exist in TFC?

glowstone, this would seem easy to add in.

Lapis is found, it's a mineral spawned in 52e

Glowstone can be manufactured in IC2, gold dust and redstone dust in a "dynamite" pattern, more expensive, but then TFC isn't an easy mod so why should an added on IC2 be?

At least in the most recent version, Ore Dictionary does not recognize TFC copper, tin, or iron/steel alloys. I tried making IC2 copper wire, batteries, and an iron furnace using the TFC metals and none of them would work, although converting TFC wrought iron to vanilla iron and using that works for the iron furnace, of course.

see my response at the top of this post :/ forge changed around a bunch of stuff, including how to register the ores in the dictionary, so until it's fixed...