Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CtrlXCtrlV

Sugar from different sources (maple syrup, sugar beet)

Like the idea? Vote!   23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this idea to get implemented

• Yeah, great, lets add it in right away!
    • Well, it needs some clarification but, I like it so far
    • Could be nice, but the way it is is much simpler, lets not make it complicated
    • Leave sugar canes alone
    • I like the idea of maple syrup
    • Like the idea of different sources of sugar
    • Like the idea of sugar canes growing rewrite
    • The sugarry carrotts should be in
    • The whole idea is bulls+++
    • well I wouldn't really like to see it in the game, at least the way the suggestion is like now

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

So the idea would be there would be different types of sugar in game, or at least the source would be different.

It was said that sweat, sour and other tastes are coming in the game so now we will need salt, sugar, lemon, and stuff to change how food tastes.

So it might be needed that on different levels of temperature and humidity the source of this sugar cant be sugar canes.

2 other sources are the following:

-Maple syrup (either from new tree type: Sugar Maple or from normal min game maple tree)

-Sugar carrots (new crop, i don't know how they really call it, but in the EU we use sugar from these)

post-5113-0-96530500-1408004493.jpg

EDIT: Now i know that the sugar carrotts i mentioned are called sugar beet

Edited by CtrlXCtrlV

That's actually a great and unexpected idea! It didn't even cross my mind to add different sugar types. With the addition of the new tastes system, we should really have different types of sugar, because in real life too people tend to like some types of sugar over the others. Canadian people like Dunk should like maple syrup, I myself don't have problems eating normal sugar, but I prefer the one from the canes because they say it's less bad for you. 

Dunk or Bioxx, Idon't remember completely, also stated that there may be different types of sugar canes in different biomes, so that could mean different sugar types too, but they will always come from canes, and this will always give them pretty much the same taste with little variations. 

Also, with the incoming different types of terrain, the sugar carrots could grow and have different tastes similar to sugar canes, so same taste between every sugar carrot but with little variations.

As for maple syrup, I don't think trees in TFC are affected the same way plants are affected by different terrain types, so to make it change the taste a bit we could have another system of working it after its extraction from the tree.

I like maple syrup too, unfortunatly that is the most expensive...

I think is called suggar beet not carrot.

We could also have corn sugar.

I like this idea.  We need more output!

Ideally, what I would like to see is each type of tree producing something: 

- Some have fruit

- Sugar from maple

- Paper from birch

- Chestnuts as protein?

- Thatch from willow

and on...

I like this idea.  We need more output!

Ideally, what I would like to see is each type of tree producing something: 

- Some have fruit

- Sugar from maple

- Paper from birch

- Chestnuts as protein?

- Thatch from willow

and on...

I see this kind of difficult to be implemented. For example you can make tannin with every type of wood due to balance purposes, but only 2 types of wood are used irl, so I don't think they'll add this if they don't remove the chance to get tannin from other trees too.

in the case of tannin, leather is too important to be dependent on players exploring potentially huge distances to find one specific kind of tree, so there's no reason in principle trees couldn't produce unique products that are not essential or are merely substitutes for other readily-available things. The only issue is the balance question, avoiding having this new source make something too easy to get, but the things listed in that suggestion - protein, thatch, sugar, paper - aren't at all difficult to obtain now, so doesn't seem like any balance issue there?

On the subject of tree-specific stuff, I've thought it might be interesting if pine trees, and the other needling varieties, shed a layer of pine straw under them. It could potentially be collected as a substitute for thatch, but when spread over an area would also prevent tall grass from growing, and could possibly be used, as it is in real life, to insulate vulnerable crops against minor cold weather, perhaps bumping the minimum survivable temperature down by a few degrees for the covered plants.

since we already have the code for fruit trees leaves producing flowers and giving fruits, I think it would not take that much to have Trees giving nuts by right clicking on the leaves on the right season.

Again I am no coder, so no idea how hard that would actually be.

perhaps bumping the minimum survivable temperature down by a few degrees for the covered plants.

And somehow act like a special fertilizer, yeah I like this one. A 4th bar could appear when you use a metal hoe, and that bar says how much time is left before the crop will suffer cold again.

Hello, I found a maple tree in the wild and thought it would be really cool if there was maple syrup. Syrup is made from sap, which is made from starch made in the maple tree in the fall and winter. The Starch turns into sugar which rises into sap in the spring. I think the way to get the sap would be to right click a maple tree's logs with a knife/hammer which would bore a hole in the tree during fall or early winter. When spring comes you can go over to the maple trees with a wooden bucket and collect the sap. Then you would put the sap bucket in a forge/fire pit and that would make all the water boil in the sap, leaving maple syrup.

It would also be interesting to add pancakes, which would be made by taking dough (the dough cooked to make bread) and put it in a crafting table with a hammer. That would flatten the dough out. After that you would cook it in a fire pit or forge. It would make a pancake (how much oz the pancake is depends on how many oz the dough was). You could add maple syrup to it just by crafting syrup and the pancake in your crafting table, and that would give more saturation for the pancake and also perhaps more food would be restored when its eaten.

Also jam could be added as another topping to pancakes, which would just be grinding down strawberries, blueberries, other foods already in the game that seem fitting, etc, by grinding in it a quern.

You could add lots of toppings to the pancake, but if you add to much the saturation and how much it gives you when eaten could go down, because it would start tasting bad.

Back to maple trees, it should not spawn between z -10000 through z 10000 because it likes cooler climates. Also, perhaps the collecting of the sap from the trees could be done automatically if you place either string or wool yarn 3 blocks above the ground, right next to the tree, and right click the string with a wooden bucket. It could show a wooden bucket swaying from one side to the other on the string. The buckets would pick up the sap in March. 

I am a fan of breakfast foods, as you probably can already tell! In fact, breakfast is my favorite out of all the major times you eat.

Cheers,

Soccerdude10

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Suggestion. Moved into older, existing one.

Hello, I found a maple tree in the wild and thought it would be really cool if there was maple syrup. Syrup is made from sap, which is made from starch made in the maple tree in the fall and winter. The Starch turns into sugar which rises into sap in the spring. I think the way to get the sap would be to right click a maple tree's logs with a knife/hammer which would bore a hole in the tree during fall or early winter. When spring comes you can go over to the maple trees with a wooden bucket and collect the sap. Then you would put the sap bucket in a forge/fire pit and that would make all the water boil in the sap, leaving maple syrup.

It would also be interesting to add pancakes, which would be made by taking dough (the dough cooked to make bread) and put it in a crafting table with a hammer. That would flatten the dough out. After that you would cook it in a fire pit or forge. It would make a pancake (how much oz the pancake is depends on how many oz the dough was). You could add maple syrup to it just by crafting syrup and the pancake in your crafting table, and that would give more saturation for the pancake and also perhaps more food would be restored when its eaten.

Also jam could be added as another topping to pancakes, which would just be grinding down strawberries, blueberries, other foods already in the game that seem fitting, etc, by grinding in it a quern.

You could add lots of toppings to the pancake, but if you add to much the saturation and how much it gives you when eaten could go down, because it would start tasting bad.

Back to maple trees, it should not spawn between z -10000 through z 10000 because it likes cooler climates. Also, perhaps the collecting of the sap from the trees could be done automatically if you place either string or wool yarn 3 blocks above the ground, right next to the tree, and right click the string with a wooden bucket. It could show a wooden bucket swaying from one side to the other on the string. The buckets would pick up the sap in March. 

I am a fan of breakfast foods, as you probably can already tell! In fact, breakfast is my favorite out of all the major times you eat.

Cheers,

Soccerdude10

Hey, I love that you have an idea how to extactly implement the creation of maple syrup, and love the panke idea, but really? you need a hammer to flatten it out? also jam would be a really nice way to preserved fruits

sugarcane definitely needs a rewrrite- that goes without saying.

I'm also Canadian, so I can't vote against maple syrup. Not sure what we'd need it for though.

Hey, I love that you have an idea how to extactly implement the creation of maple syrup, and love the panke idea, but really? you need a hammer to flatten it out? also jam would be a really nice way to preserved fruits

I just had no idea how to flatten dough out into a pancake without a hammer. Possibly they could add a tool that would flatten it out, but for the time being, I have no idea. 

I just had no idea how to flatten dough out into a pancake without a hammer. Possibly they could add a tool that would flatten it out, but for the time being, I have no idea. 

pancakes aren't made from dough, they're made from batter

Heated (non beer) batter becomes pancakes if you don't combine it with a waffle iron before cooking?

pretty much

Well, until we have more uses for sugar, I don't really think there is a big reason for alternative sugar or stuff.

I mean, kinda useless to have 2~4 different sugar variations if we only have one(I think) use for sugar.

And the only use for sugar I can think of are jam(which got rejected a lot), baking(cookies, cake, etc), and sweets(chocolate, candy, etc), I doubt we really need those.

pancakes aren't made from dough, they're made from batter

I still have no idea how we would make batter.. I was up on a brick wall in that department, and mom does all the pancake cooking for me so I have no idea how the batter is made and such :P.

flour, milk, and eggs if I recall correctly.

But then, I make pancakes with the pancake flour thingys they sell, so there might be more stuff you need.

I still have no idea how we would make batter.. I was up on a brick wall in that department, and mom does all the pancake cooking for me so I have no idea how the batter is made and such :P.

Batter is pretty much liquid consistency. It's not something that you shape like dough. You scoop some of the liquid and pour it into the pan, and it fluffs up into a pancake.

Batter is pretty much liquid consistency. It's not something that you shape like dough. You scoop some of the liquid and pour it into the pan, and it fluffs up into a pancake.

Okay, this thread is getting to a cooking lesson, but if we are here we should put sunflowers in so we could get oil, of course olives could be another source

I just think why not have more sources for sugar?

We have a whole bunch of sources for grains and vegetables.

Off course with the recipes and taste overhaul we could have recipes requiring sugar.

That would be really great, oil and fats could also be added.

We need nuts and peanuts.

Yea, we do have a much of grains and vegetables, but sugar isn't needed, unlike grains or vegetables.

I mean, come on, who really goes out to look for sugar in TFC?

You right, that's why I was talking about adding sugar to more recipes.

I agree that if is not added to new recipes it makes no sense in having more sources for sugar.