Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Watsisname

On the subject of Galena and Lead

23 posts in this topic

This is somewhat suggestions-thread material in nature, but since I don't have an actual explicit suggestion at the moment, I thought it would be better to post this in the discussion section.

So lately I have been wondering about all this unshaped lead I've been accumulating through my efforts to smelt galena for silver. AFAIK lead cannot be used for tool-making (for good reason -- it's not only toxic but a rather soft metal, too), nor are there any alloys that use lead. Does anyone know if there are planned uses for lead ingots later on? Or does anyone have any good ideas for how it could be used? Maybe there are some interesting ones that had not occurred to me. :)

I did look on wikipedia to see if there were any significant alloys of lead, and there are a few:

Solder and Terne (Terne is used for inhibiting steel corrosion) are both alloys of lead and tin, and then there's an alloy of lead and copper with the cool name of "Molybdochalkos". Haven't been able to find any reputable or informative sources on that one though, but apparently Greek Alchemists knew about it? *shrug*

Of those alloys I'd guess that Terne is probably the closest thing to applicable in TFC, but even then there's no realistic need to protect any of our steel tools from rust in that manner. For example, a steel sword does not get coated with terne in real life, it's just polished and oiled when needed.

Anyway, that's all I have to go on for now. What are your all's thoughts?

My thoughts about lead?. Pipes and cookware. that is what the ancient romans used it for at any rate. They didn't know it was toxic tho.... nor did they usually live long enough that it mattered either tbh. the ancient people of rome died of so many trivial (by today's standard) causes that they just didn't live long enough to ingest lethal doses of lead from their dinner plates and utensils. (silver is also toxic btw. so silverware should not be used every day of your life either)

Other uses if a gunpowder age is implemented someday into the future, is bullets.

there are probably more potential uses tho. in many cases you just want some extra weight added on something. Lead is a common metal for that.

Lead could be the material used to make lead bars (like the iron bars).

I know it was used for roofing, maybe you can craft into sheets? if they ever impliment rotting for untreated wood it would become very useful.

Given lightning's ability to set fire to flammable stuffs, I second the lead sheet for roofing idea.

And imagine what nice sounds you would hear with a lead/tin roof while it's raining :)

I do like the lead sheet roofing idea. :)

And lead bullets in Minecraft / TerraFirmaCraft brings some hilarious imagery to my mind. :P

"Oh hi, Creeper!"

*pulls out gun*

True but shooting a creeper should set it off. I mean, they are filled with gunpowder or something right? lol

Lol, I was thinking that, too -- might be an interesting way to balance it a bit. Especially if you get surprised by a creep in a mine/cavern, shooting it might not be the best idea at point blank range. Nor would you want to shoot one very close to your home!

Well, then we should also make creepers explode when they catch on fire. Maybe they are made out of C4, not gunpowder? (C4 burns without detonating).

Uses for lead:

-better fishing poles

-stained glass windows

Actually thats just about it, without going high-tech. Its used in PVC, batteries, electronics, radiation shielding, paints, etc. Maybe it should just be poisonous... maybe you can craft poisoned food and put it in houses you're looting? lol.

It seemed logical that they're full of gunpowder because that's what they drop if you kill them and they don't detonate.

What about pewter? I haven't checked recently, but I always thought pewter was an alloy of lead.

pewter is mostly tin but lead is an ingredient in the allow along with copper I think...

pewter is mostly tin but lead is an ingredient in the allow along with copper I think...

pewter is about half copper, a quarter lead, a quarter zinc, and some other base metals all added together.

pewter is a very stable allory, though it can become a hazard to ones health if things like vinigar or some forms of wine as the lead / zinc react and form a poisonous coating on the metal.

lead has many great uses. lead can be used to make paints, treat wood, and was even used to harden many earlly alloys of steel.

the down side to lead is its poisonous effects but o well

btw i would love to have a tin / lead roof on my house :D

Lead is heavy.

Lead core tools, make faster tools?

A mace with a lead core could be the best mace in the game. Slings would also be useful with lead shot.

Organs require a lot of lead, perhaps we could sink it all into making giant organs in our bases?

It could be a required component of glass (not required realistically, but would force a use for it).

In fact, lead glass is far easier to work with than any others, which seems like it would fit this mod perfectly. 1 lead ingot (liquid) + 3 sand (white hot) = 4 glass blocks (using a glassworks).

Funny thing is that the Greeks/Romans were aware that lead tended to make people sick.... But they used it for their wines cups for a very specific reason.

Wine poured into a lead cup made for a much sweeter cup of wine..

And imagine what nice sounds you would hear with a lead/tin roof while it's raining :)

i use to have a shed with metal roof...that thing was loud as hell....i had to take it down one winter due to lack of sleep xD

Mmmmm... lead acetate. Delicious

romans called it lead defruitum

it was the equivilent of chocolate sause to them

thats why all the roman emporers were crazy, from drinking that stuff all day

romans called it lead defruitum

it was the equivilent of chocolate sause to them

thats why all the roman emporers were crazy, from drinking that stuff all day

DELECTABILISFVIT

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0