Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
uberlebender

Facilitating long-distance travel--allow your latest firepit set your spawn point?

21 posts in this topic

I love to explore the world, making epic journeys.  But it's a real pain when you die--you have to take the whole trip again from your spawn to get your stuff back.  Beds will reset spawn, but both wooden and straw-and-hide beds are too precious to leave dozens of them scattered around the landscape.

When you build a fire, that's where you call home for the night.  If there were a simple variant of the firepit which would reset your spawn, that would be a suitable solution.  Maybe you could toss three rocks on the ground in addition to three sticks--a rock-lined firepit, perhaps.  That would be cheap enough to leave at a campsite, but would still save many kilometers of walking when you die while on a long trip.

Beds are not that precious. If you are indeed exploring a lot, you should be able to gather the resources for multiple beds. Don't be lazy ;-)

Hmm it sounds like either uberlebender does not realize beds can be broken to ether get back thier raw materials or the bed itself,

Or uberlebender thinks that anyone should be able to reset thier spawn at any time

If its the former, then break the beds. If its the latter there is no real reason to aknowledge this suggestion as it would make the straw and hide bed obselete. That bed was made to be cheap and easy to make on purpose.

But it's a real pain when you die

Well, this is the problem.

It's INSANLY easy to survive in minecrat, even in TFC. I have traveled thousands blocks without any trouble at all. I'm sure you are playing without the necessary concentration.

I likd the idea of a firepit to set spaw for one night. Beds are somehow hard to craft... Some seeds are really out of animals near spawn and sheeps don't apear that easily, deers also don't drop large skins 100% of the time and you will not kill many of them in a row to not lose that much food. I'm not killing any animal but deers and phesants until my farm/animal husbandry began.

A firepit would be nice in this case.

What about making a normal campfire and sneak-place rocks arround like logs and pit klins?

A month ago I started a thread on that issue, but it kind of died down, i guess ...

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6405-spawn-point/#entry88592

I still think this is a problem, as traveling large distances is much more important in TFC than in vanilla, and you could die so easily by stepping on one dirtblock covering a ravine or something, so I feel there really should be a solution for the spawn point issue, however it may look like (firepit, sleepig bag, whatever).

I don't agree with the way spawn points are handled,

But once you get iron armor and some experience levels you are pretty much indestructible granted you don't act like a fool. At thirty levels and good nutrition you've already got over 1500 health not to mention the protection the armor will provide.

Even Blue Steel armor doesn't protect you from the natural hazards that commonly occur in TFC like hidden ravine traps or accidently placing a torch too near the dirt in a dirt-roofed cave for instance ...

Even Blue Steel armor doesn't protect you from the natural hazards that commonly occur in TFC like hidden ravine traps or accidently placing a torch too near the dirt in a dirt-roofed cave for instance ...

If you die from either of those, you deserved it for not properly paying attention to your surroundings. There will never be a feature or item in TFC that prevents death caused by being an idiot.

If you die from either of those, you deserved it for not properly paying attention to your surroundings. There will never be a feature or item in TFC that prevents death caused by being an idiot.

Did you read the posts above mine?

I think, you didn't quite get my (or the OP's) point here - it's not the dying itself that's the problem, but if something like that happens, it's just outright frustrating to run back there from the original spawn point, if it's about 10km from where one died! I don't know about other people's playstyles, but I do like to explore a very large radius in my TFC-worlds, and if an unfortunate death happens somewhere, I sometimes even think about deleting my world in my frustration.

I do agree that one should pay attention to his surroundings to prevent such mishaps and that one should value dearly the life of his little TFC chars, but sometimes death just hits too hard, because of the large distances involved. 

The simplest solution I can think of would be that the original spawn point would be deleted as soon a new spawnpoint is set, that would act like the original one. That may be in form of a firepit, like the OP suggested, or whatever else would fit into TFC.

Like that it would be so much less frustrating, if I have to run to where I died from where I camped last night, even if I loose the distance of a whole TFC day - which would still be punishing enough in my opinion!

I do admit to have died of similar reasons like stated above - so am I therefore an idiot, dear Kitty?

I think the simplest argument I can give is that if we wanted to make setting your spawn so easy, we would have.

I do admit to have died of similar reasons like stated above - so am I therefore an idiot, dear Kitty?

In that exact moment? Yes you were an idiot. I'll admit that I've died because of being an idiot too, and you know how I respond to it? I call myself an idiot and make sure to remind myself to not do that idiotic thing again in the future.

The current spawn-setting system of hide beds is already cheap enough. You should not be able to set your spawn with something as simple as a firepit, because that is something that any player can get on their very first day. The hide bed is only obtainable on the very first day of gameplay if the player managed to get extremely lucky with their world seed. Once you are established enough that you are going to be travelling far distances away from your original bed and base, it should be more than easy enough to make a few straw beds along your journey. Straw is extremely cheap, and if you realize that you need large hides and therefore stockpile any that you come across instead of turning them all into leather, you can accumulate quite a large amount of them fairly quickly. Or if you managed to find sheep and have a metal saw, actual beds are even cheaper because it doesn't require any killing of animals; you can just shear the sheep with a stone knife, and the wool will grow back as long as the animal is standing on grass blocks. The wool doesn't really have much other use for the average player, so just shearing it every time you walk by will quickly get you the materials to make more than enough beds for a save's lifetime.

The current spawn-setting system of hide beds is already cheap enough. You should not be able to set your spawn with something as simple as a firepit, because that is something that any player can get on their very first day. The hide bed is only obtainable on the very first day of gameplay if the player managed to get extremely lucky with their world seed. Once you are established enough that you are going to be travelling far distances away from your original bed and base, it should be more than easy enough to make a few straw beds along your journey. Straw is extremely cheap, and if you realize that you need large hides and therefore stockpile any that you come across instead of turning them all into leather, you can accumulate quite a large amount of them fairly quickly. Or if you managed to find sheep and have a metal saw, actual beds are even cheaper because it doesn't require any killing of animals; you can just shear the sheep with a stone knife, and the wool will grow back as long as the animal is standing on grass blocks. The wool doesn't really have much other use for the average player, so just shearing it every time you walk by will quickly get you the materials to make more than enough beds for a save's lifetime.

I agree that that would be possible if you already have established a proper base with an animal farm or the like. But with my playstyle I'd already have explored about 100 square kilometres before even building my first proper house, maybe just having a place where I store my treasures when I come by, I even may have gained the ability to build beds while on this nomadic travels. In my opinion, that's exactly what the 'nomadic' stone age should be, so what you suggest won't really help in this case.

What I really need is some kind of Original Spawn at the center of my explorations, and further the ability to sleep through the night without resetting this spawn point. Some kind of travel bed! Fortunately Dunk seems to agree with me on that one, so I'll be patient and see what he will come up with :)

Of course such a travel bed wouldn't be able to be crafted without at least a saw, so you couldn't skip the night before you'd gain the normal bed ...

Dont drag me alone into this. Bioxx and I talked about it. People commonly set up their home very far from world spawn. Its completely reasonable to need to venture away from that home and want to skip the night. Our solution is to allow you to sleep in a bed without resetting your spawn. The current idea is that shift-clicking on a bed will allow you to sleep without setting your spawn. We may add a proper travel bed, but that requires textures and new blocks which we dont want to bother with for 79. It doesnt make spawn setting too easy: you still need a bed at home, but at least dying wont send you half way around the world to the middle of no where.

Dont drag me alone into this. Bioxx and I talked about it. People commonly set up their home very far from world spawn. Its completely reasonable to need to venture away from that home and want to skip the night. Our solution is to allow you to sleep in a bed without resetting your spawn. The current idea is that shift-clicking on a bed will allow you to sleep without setting your spawn.

That is nice, but I don't know.

Sometimes, I want to set my spawn, but not set it at the same time(I don't want to run all the way here from my base, but I don't want to remove my spawn from my base)

And if I accidentally forget to press shift, that would suck.

So just wondering, but would it be hard to set up a system that remembers what beds you slept in, and when the bed you just slept in is broken, it changes your spawn not to the world spawn, but to the bed you slept on before the bed you broke

Dont drag me alone into this. Bioxx and I talked about it. People commonly set up their home very far from world spawn. Its completely reasonable to need to venture away from that home and want to skip the night. Our solution is to allow you to sleep in a bed without resetting your spawn. The current idea is that shift-clicking on a bed will allow you to sleep without setting your spawn. We may add a proper travel bed, but that requires textures and new blocks which we dont want to bother with for 79. It doesnt make spawn setting too easy: you still need a bed at home, but at least dying wont send you half way around the world to the middle of no where.

This really is the attitude I appreciate with TFC. Too many mods make their functionality overly dependant on blocks, blocks, and more blocks. They often make things vastly more complicated than need be in the process.

In my post To Make Each Age In TFC Longer. I talk about how the game is kind of backwards now. We should explore more before establishing a base. The idea is that once you have killed your first animal you should have everything needed to go exploring and collecting seeds and fruit tree saplings at the same time that you are looking for the ideal place to settle.

I wanted to have some kind of camping setup that would keep you safe for the night. If it sets your spawn point or not it should be a option on the config file. 

We may add a proper travel bed, but that requires textures and new blocks which we dont want to bother with for 79. It doesnt make spawn setting too easy: you still need a bed at home, but at least dying wont send you half way around the world to the middle of no where.

That would be just the thing--glad it's under consideration.  Hella fun mod; thanks for your work.

In that exact moment? Yes you were an idiot. I'll admit that I've died because of being an idiot too, and you know how I respond to it? I call myself an idiot and make sure to remind myself to not do that idiotic thing again in the future.

I'm talking mostly about a certain style of play I enjoy: stone-age hunter-gatherer living off the land.  This guy has to stay on the move over long distances to keep himself fed without exhausting local resources.

Straw-and-hide beds are expensive in the sense that early-game, animals are finite.  You don't encounter a herd every day, and when you do, you don't know which animals will drop a large hide, so you have to kill way more than you need.  This depletes the resource.  If animals respawned like vegetables, this argument would be moot. 

By the time you've established a base and are breeding animals to get all the hides you need, you're no longer a nomad.  And to build conventional beds out of wood planks, you need a metal saw, so you're no longer in the stone age.

Whether your death was idiotic or not, re-tracing 10 km to pick up where you left off is a fun-sucker.  I totally get it if it's done that way on purpose, it just discourages long journeys.  Still a hella fun mod!

Thatch beds. Couple thatch, large skin, done. Althought firepits would make sense as spawn setting, as it was the core of the 'caveman society', if I can call it like that. I just feel it's too easy to make, kinda spoil some of the early game difficulty...