Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Saynomore

Map generation

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

my friends and I are playing on a TFC server for a while now. This is really an awesome mod!

But I have 2 questions (in one).

We are at about z -6600. At approx z -7700 there is an ocean. If we go to the north with a boat to -10000 there is no land. At z -2300, same thing, the land end and there is an ocean. Same thing at west and east (I don't know exactly the size on this axis but it doesn't seem huge). Is it possible that our map is just a big island with nothing around except ocean?

Plus I can't find any douglas trees, so I wonder if there were even generate on this map...

Can I have your opinion/advice on this please?

Thanks in advance.

Oceans in TFC are HUUUUUUUGE. You only traveled 2,300 blocks by boat. I wouldn't give up until you've traveled at least 8,000 blocks by boat. Also keep in mind that if you want to stay in within the same general climate, you should be travelling East/West. If you want it to be colder, travel away from the equator (z = 0), and if you want it to be warmer, travel towards the equator.

If you want a good average climate area, I would suggest traveling to around z = -10,000, and then going either east or west until you hit land. Don't be surprised if you have to travel a few thousand blocks before hitting land.

Oceans are slightly smaller in 79 so look forward to that.

Oceans in TFC are HUUUUUUUGE. You only traveled 2,300 blocks by boat. I wouldn't give up until you've traveled at least 8,000 blocks by boat. Also keep in mind that if you want to stay in within the same general climate, you should be travelling East/West. If you want it to be colder, travel away from the equator (z = 0), and if you want it to be warmer, travel towards the equator.

If you want a good average climate area, I would suggest traveling to around z = -10,000, and then going either east or west until you hit land. Don't be surprised if you have to travel a few thousand blocks before hitting land.

Personally I think the ocean biomes are too common. I mean, most of maps I've played I spawn in a island, what forces me to travel on water...

Personally I think the ocean biomes are too common. I mean, most of maps I've played I spawn in a island, what forces me to travel on water...

Honestly, I very much prefer being near the coast than spawning in the middle of a huge continent, even it's just an island, because I find travel on water so much faster, besides you can travel large distances also at nighttime wothout monsters bothering you; much more efficient than losing the time on your bed :)The only major drawback is transporting animals, but that should hopefully be solved with the sailing boats discussed in the Canoes thread - hope that won't take too long ....

Hmmm, ok then. Thanks for the details/explanations. I will try to boat out further. So if I understand you well, I don't go always straight to the north until I hit land? Also, I wanted to go to the north because I think (but I'm maybe wrong) that douglas tree can be found more easily there...

And we are in a good climate area since in the winter there is no snow and the average temperature is approx 12°C (moreover I regret a little having no snow...).

Oh, that's nice! Will it be for 1.6.4? Do you plan to release it soon? And if I already discover a large bit of ocean, land will not be generate there, right?

Unlike in vanilla, TFC has varying climates based on the latitude (Z coordinate). Z = 0 is the equator, and Z = -30,000 is around the north/south pole. So if you always go straight north, it's possible that you will hit ice before you hit land. It's a good idea to go north to help find douglas fir trees, you just don't want to go too far north. The z = -10,000 is a good middle-ground where you will still probably get decent winters, and its much more likely for douglas firs to grow.

Here's a map that another player posted that basically goes from Z = 30,000 to Z = -30,000

As reference: a pregenerated map (approx 30000 x 44000) from the crococraft server (map will go live this weekend). You can easily see why the oceans feel so huge:

Posted Image

79 will be for Minecraft 1.7.10. Keep in mind that each major build in TFC is not really backwards compatible. You will not be able to load your 78.17 worlds in 79. It will either crash, or everything will just be deleted and turned to air blocks. Each time a new major version of TFC releases, it is expected that players will start a new world.

Unlike in vanilla, TFC has varying climates based on the latitude (Z coordinate). Z = 0 is the equator, and Z = -30,000 is around the north/south pole. So if you always go straight north, it's possible that you will hit ice before you hit land. It's a good idea to go north to help find douglas fir trees, you just don't want to go too far north. The z = -10,000 is a good middle-ground where you will still probably get decent winters, and its much more likely for douglas firs to grow.

Here's a map that another player posted that basically goes from Z = 30,000 to Z = -30,000

79 will be for Minecraft 1.7.10. Keep in mind that each major build in TFC is not really backwards compatible. You will not be able to load your 78.17 worlds in 79. It will either crash, or everything will just be deleted and turned to air blocks. Each time a new major version of TFC releases, it is expected that players will start a new world.

Thanks a lot for this reply Kittychanley. It helps. I will try want you said and I will not update the server for sure.

Just a last little question. If you take trees from a different climate, can the saplings grow in an other climate?

And I made that quickly, it can be interesting for someone:

Posted Image

PS: Also, I saw your "how to report bugs" topic, and I wonder if I can report several bugs in one template or if I have to make several templates?

Just a last little question. If you take trees from a different climate, can the saplings grow in an other climate? 

PS: Also, I saw your "how to report bugs" topic, and I wonder if I can report several bugs in one template or if I have to make several templates?

The only thing that saplings care about is having a light level of at least 9, and enough time planted in the ground. Climate should have no effect on them growing whatsoever other than snow might destroy them (not sure on that). So yes, saplings can grow in pretty much any other climate.

I would greatly appreciate if you create a separate topic for each individual bug. It makes my life sooooooo much easier to keep track of them all when I come back to the forums looking for stuff to fix.

The only thing that saplings care about is having a light level of at least 9, and enough time planted in the ground. Climate should have no effect on them growing whatsoever other than snow might destroy them (not sure on that). So yes, saplings can grow in pretty much any other climate.

I would greatly appreciate if you create a separate topic for each individual bug. It makes my life sooooooo much easier to keep track of them all when I come back to the forums looking for stuff to fix.