Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

23 posts in this topic

So, I was just ready about various types of shrubs and berries in a book I had recently come to own, when I stumbled upon this:

Posted Image
(Apologies for the bad quality picture...)

They are pretty common around the area I live, although I had never thought to eat them, and apparently for good reason. They are considered non-edible, which makes me wonder why they are included in TFC as an edible berry? I mean according to several sources [Source, Source, Picture above] they are not terribly poisonous but should never be consumed. I wonder if this is something that was overlooked or simply ignored during the time they were implemented into the mod. Either way I still think they should either cause some sort of adverse effect upon consumption, or not be a harvestable/edible food source in TFC.
If this suggestion were to be acted upon, might I suggest the implementation of Huckleberries as a replacement to snowberries. If the snowberries were simply added for a change to the regular berry palate, being uniquely coloured and providing a different texturing, might I suggest the addition of Cloudberries?

It was known at the time of implementation that snowberries are poisonous to humans. However, they are a primary winter food source for pheasants.

Cloudberries are already in TFC. Posted Image

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Berry

Edit: It should also be noted that not all berries were added for their fruits. If you look in the creative menu, there are placeholder items for berry leaves already there. ;)

Wow, can't believe I hadn't known about Cloudberries. Out of curiosity, do they actually naturally spawn in the game, if so they must be pretty rare?

They are supposed to spawn naturally in the game. If they aren't, that's a bug. However, comparing their climate requirements for spawning, it does appear that they would likely be pretty rare compared to all other berries, similar to cranberries.

Yea, I have tested cloudberries and cranberries in game extensivly. If placed in creative, the bushes will produce their fruit, but I have never been able to find either in survival mode, and I have searched a lot, through all climes. They may just be verry rare, or their may be some bug.

Yeah and Tomatoes are fruit....not vegetables like the tooltip implies.

Botanically they are fruit. Nutritionally they are vegetables.

Botanically they are fruit. Culinarily they are vegetables.

fixed

There is no set nutritive requirement for something to be a 'vegetable'. Tomatoes are considered such in cooking because they (depending on the strain and location) are generally more savory than sweet, and aren't terribly palatable to be eaten out-of-hand. As such they go best in other vegetable dishes, and do not go well with other fruit dishes.But you are 100% that yes, they are biologically a fruit.

Welp, I've found why you guys are having such a hard time finding cranberries or cloudberries. They only spawn on peat/peat grass, so you can only find them in swamp biomes.

Yup. Just consider them a rare delicacy.

just to check, the climate conditions required by snowberries, which you mentioned earlier as being rare in themselves... swamps can occur in those conditions, right?

just to check, the climate conditions required by snowberries, which you mentioned earlier as being rare in themselves... swamps can occur in those conditions, right?

I'm guessing you meant cloudberries. The conditions for cloudberries are Temp 0 to 20, Rainfall 250 to 1000, and EVT 0.125 to 4; all values inclusive. A swamp climate is an area that has a rainfall value >= 1,000, and an EVT of < 0.25.

So yes, the conditions do overlap, but it is an extremely rare case because they only overlap when Rainfall == 1,000.

Edit: Cranberries are Temp 0 to 25, Rainfall 1000 to 4000, and EVT 0.25 to 16. So it looks like they just barely miss the conditions of a swamp because the EVT value for swamp is <, and not <=.

Considering that peat is not that common, I'm doubting there is a need for requirement of spawning on peat grass. I think it's better to assign new actual terrain biome type 'Swamp' and make those berries spawn there.

My parents live north where there's a lot of swamps, I can assure you that no biome in TFC is flat enough to resemble a big swamp to begin with.

Welp, I've found why you guys are having such a hard time finding cranberries or cloudberries. They only spawn on peat/peat grass, so you can only find them in swamp biomes.

were you able to find them? i've been playing tfc for a long time and i've seen everthing else in the game but i have NEVER seen either of those berries and I explore a lot

were you able to find them? i've been playing tfc for a long time and i've seen everthing else in the game but i have NEVER seen either of those berries and I explore a lot

Have you ever come across a very large area of peat in an area that has exactly a rainfall value of 1000 and nothing else? Like stated before, they're extremely rare, but they can happen.

A proper bog would be nice. Plenty of peat all around, I'd live in it.

After doing a little more research, while snowberries do indeed contain saponins in them, which are toxic, they are very poorly absorbed by the human body and usually just pass through. So an adult can eat snowberries with no harm unless they eat like a lot of them.

There is also the plant Gaultheria hispidula, or "Creeping Snowberry" which have similar-looking berries that are 100% edible and quite delicious.

They do seem to contain a lot of harmful chemicals. Based on the ld50 of orally ingesting such compounds purely from snowberries, the effects of vomiting and delirium would kick in before you could ingest enough.

My parents live north where there's a lot of swamps, I can assure you that no biome in TFC is flat enough to resemble a big swamp to begin with.

I live in Louisiana and can confirm: swamps are flat as hell, mostly because the majority of the swampland is a few feet under water :P