Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

New Health and Medicine System

99 posts in this topic

The biggest problem with the death effects thing is that you wouldn't be able to retrieve your stuff as well as without them. I think you could add a loot pile that you couldn't put stuff in and would go away when empty, but like a chest, items don't despawn in it. I know I was crushed when I found the hole the creeper that killed me had formed with no stuff in it, and while this is manageable, not being able to get stuff as easily after death would hurt more than it already does.

I could live with a redo on the healing system however not anything specific so that way I'm just carrying bandage and medicine. One heals now, one starts up health regen. Easy very manageable, not complicated, not RPG. Specific injuries would be cool but I think they may take a while to implement unless we get another coder specifically for it.

i will be removing the hearts part of the suggeston and replacinf it with the idea of overhauling the entire health system. if you had read the entire post you would know that. so you won't be getting more hearts, just a higher number that probabaly has a cap to balance things out, but a numbered counting system will be much easier to work with then an icon system. also my idea was no to make it so steve knew things that the player did not, my intention was to make it so that steve would have to learn these things along with the player. researching would not be as random as the thaumcraft research system. its more of a recipe to make a recipie. you find the corrosponding needed items and see what works together to heal or damage the organs or body parts of zombies. kinda like a geuss and check. once you find a recipe that works and makes a better medicine you get a medicine recipie/directions, then you use it in the alchemey system or whatever to creat better versions of the medicine. ofcorse you sometimes might be better of just using the materials cause they might be more useful apart then together, but that is the fun, you have to learn and try to become better, this actualy make it so that this could be considered a profession. especialy if the alchemey system requires skill much the same way as the anvil does. so you research to get better medicines, and poisions, and work hard to make them. do you still think these are bad ideas? if so, instead of critisizing me, help me by giving me alternatives that actualy work and make it so that not everyone can be great at it. my biggest desire for this mod, and i am probably not alone in this, is for there to be professions so people can specialize, thus increasing smp co-operation. imagine if you were to make a huge server and sevral player got on. which is more likely to happen if everything takes no skill, even if it take s a while, eventualy everyone will be running off to make there own homes and for the most part beable to accomplish what IRL takes an entire town to do. but if every aspect requires some amount of skill people are more likely to band together in order to not only get better service but also better products. things like metal working, medicine, farming, hunting, even cooking, should take skill to do so everyone relies on eachother to make their community great. this mod has the potential to make it so people have to work together but still be individuals, and that is what i like and want to see come out of this mod. im tired so if this is a bit rambly please forgive me

There is way to make this all work wonderfully. Hardcore mode.

Obviously, this is an thing like it is in Vanilla, as not everyone (even people who like the added challenge of TFCraft) wants to deal with dead-is-dead, but having hardcore makes dealing with those medical conditions a much higher priority.

I would suggest (as others already have), if such rigorous health ideas were implemented, to make the player significantly harder to outright kill. I.E., divide the health bar into fourths, rather than halfs, so that the player has 40 hp, rather than 20. That way there is enough leeway to save yourself when necessary. (and less horribly instant deaths)

Devlin, offtopic, but you would really help me keep being motivated while reading your posts if you add some line breaks after paragraphs :) Like many of your ideas, it's just tideous sometimes to read

Devlin, offtopic, but you would really help me keep being motivated while reading your posts if you add some line breaks after paragraphs :) Like many of your ideas, it's just tideous sometimes to read

*tedious

and yes I agree, a little formatting wouldn't go amiss.

*tedious

and yes I agree, a little formatting wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks for the correction, I'm German. Always good if you learn more here than in school ^.^

Thanks for the correction, I'm German. Always good if you learn more here than in school ^.^

No problem :)

Finally, someone who appreciates constructive criticism >_>

No problem :)

Finally, someone who appreciates constructive criticism >_>

Lol uppity people are uppity.

Okay, so-

This thread is just... wow. Lots-o-stuff.

Umm, idk if I like the whole 'research' bit. Smacks a little too much of Steve knowing stuff instead of me, and Lumy, me, and a few others have already crucified posts for suggesting a separation of steve from the player. Also smacks a bit too much of thaumcraft, but that's another matter.

"crucified" interesting word choice. That's probably the only subject that you, me, lumy, and teranz all agree on.

go check out the project zomboid moodlets, theres broken bones, and colds and all that random stuff

but i will add in the idea of a new gui for applying medicine and splints and such as needed

*ehem* Would you like an actual GUI made for your suggestion, i could make one for ya ^.^

*ehem* Would you like an actual GUI made for your suggestion, i could make one for ya ^.^

Do you code the GUI stuff or just draw it?

that would be great, i have been told a paper doll style system might work well. how ever you design it i would love to see what you can come up with

This is all great ideas and stuff but i have one problem

say you are just starting out in your world, and you somehow manage to get a terrible wound or infection that you wont be able to cure untill late in the game once you've researched advanced methods of healing. i dont really think this is fair to the player if they accidnetally fall off a cliff while exploring for a place to build a house or get bitten by a zombie on their first night and have to deal with broken legs or some kind of nasty infection while they try to get to the next stage so they can fix whats wrong

i dont know how this could be fixed taking the current ideas but i think the whole injury system could casue a serious problem early in the game

This is all great ideas and stuff but i have one problem

say you are just starting out in your world, and you somehow manage to get a terrible wound or infection that you wont be able to cure untill late in the game once you've researched advanced methods of healing. i dont really think this is fair to the player if they accidnetally fall off a cliff while exploring for a place to build a house or get bitten by a zombie on their first night and have to deal with broken legs or some kind of nasty infection while they try to get to the next stage so they can fix whats wrong

i dont know how this could be fixed taking the current ideas but i think the whole injury system could casue a serious problem early in the game

well, if you're just starting there's less to lose, also, it teaches you to stop procrastinating on those splints, and to be prepared, and I think no disease should have no cure early on, but have less-effective cures

that would be great, i have been told a paper doll style system might work well. how ever you design it i would love to see what you can come up with

Do you code the GUI stuff or just draw it?

1; I'll have it up around tomorrow

2; i make the GUI image, although my friend is learning java and will try to code them for me.

I think the up side about having the heart/lifebar/hitpoints system is knowing exactly how much you can take before you die. The minimum anything can hit is half a heart, so at half a heart you're almost guaranteed to die if you're in any close combat. While a system with advanced medicine and health is a great idea, there should be something to warn the player that they are about to die. Limping and subtle signs are good for lesser damage but something should tell someone when they can still take a beating and when stubbing their toe on a door will kill them.

I'd rather have health scaling, say, upon revival your heaalth has a *.5 multiplier on it, so your 10 hearts are only worth 5, until you recuperate.

I imagine that would be confusing, especially in half heart situations.

There, i think this is late, but heres the GUI I Made.

Posted Image

Theres a broken bone and arrow in the arm that are hard to see because of contrast, also something to go into the thing that looks like the brewing in normal Minecraft.

It shows the area of the damage done, the type of damage, your current HP, a slot to brew Poultices and medicines, slots to place in remedies for your ailments, and the effects on your character.

Sprites for the remedies should be up by tomorrow

(lol, edited this 4+ times)

when stubbing their toe on a door will kill them.

Wait, WHAT ._. I dun wanna die from a door

Posted Image

Was bored and I wanted to try a mock-up, too. It took me longer than I had expected and by the end I was feeling rather fatigued, so I borrowed some sprites for a certain game for mock-up purposes. If something like this ends up being what we end up with, I'd be happy to produce some ore original artwork. Anyway, I tried to include as much of what I've read (from various threads) as possible. From the first tab, to the last...

The basic inventory screen. Quick access to armour, and a crafting grid... There's only one thing I really need to explain here, and that's the wallet slot. ...The way I imagined it, the wallet would work as follows: When a wallet has been placed in the slot, coinage could be dropped onto the bar next to it up to a certain point. (Wallets made of higher quality leather hold more coinage?) Left-clicking the bar would withdraw as many of the lowest denomination coins (up to a stack) as it can. Right-clicking would pull the highest denomination coins. Not sure I like the mechanic, as it adds quantifiable value to coins.

Next tab, clothes and accessories. Yeah, not sure what I was thinking here. The slot labelled "A," is supposed to be a generic accessory slot, for things like rings, necklaces, or capes. Backpacks, and quivers are two things I also see frequently suggested. I added the buttons to fill space, but thinking on it, they could easily link to extra inventories. Depending on how stack sizes are balanced later on, having more slots wouldn't necessarily make things any easier. (To illustrate, if all stack sizes were halved, having double the inventory wouldn't seem nearly as broken, now would it? :U) There's also another idea I had regarding backpacks, more on that in the third tab. ...Anyway, the quiver inventory could allow players to select between different types of arrows, if those are implemented.

Third tab, which also happens to be the only one really relevant to this thread. I tried to make everything as readable as possible. On the left, a paper doll with different body parts. These parts would change colour according to the kind of ailment they're afflicted with. Broken bones would be blue-ish gray, gashes and scrapes would be red, sore muscles would be purple, and so on... (...They would hopefully be clearly tool-tipped on mouse-over just so you don't have to look anything up...) The six slots next to the paper doll would be where you place your curatives. Placing the correct curative in the correct slot will start the corresponding timer (Those things on the right), and once that's done, you'll be cured.

You'll also note the odd inventory slots in the last tab. Those were done with two things in mind. If backpacks add inventory slots to Steve, all inventory slots would appear like that until you've gotten a backpack. Otherwise, if you've injured your arm, it could be made so that you also lose inventory space. :U

That's not everything I had in mind when I started posting, but it's getting late and I've pretty much forgotten where I was going with this.

Jesus dude, not sure I like 100% of the ideas there but good work!!

Great Gravy those GUIs looks awesome, i cant wait untill this is implemented into the actual mod!