Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

New Health and Medicine System

99 posts in this topic

Perhaps *strokes beard*

Perhaps *strokes beard*

-sneaks in to Pefferns's house while he's asleep-

-shaves his beard and runs away giggling to go sell it on the black market-

-sneaks in to Pefferns's house while he's asleep-

-shaves his beard and runs away giggling to go sell it on the black market-

While running away, srgnoodles hears a click, then looks down to see pistons fall away beneath him, dropping into a room. Peffern walks in, somehow having regained his beard (I don't actually have one) then leaves.

Srgnoodles looks down and realizes that peffern's house is 6000 blocks above the ground, and there's a hole in the floor. The room is made entirely of obsidian, and every 14 seconds a piston retracts, letting water stream into the room, knocking back srgnoodles and resetting his mining progress. Srgnoodles is slowly driven insane by the hole in the floor.

I actually built this trap on a bukkit mc server after reading about the sky cells in game of thrones.

My best approximation.

While running away, srgnoodles hears a click, then looks down to see pistons fall away beneath him, dropping into a room. Peffern walks in, somehow having regained his beard (I don't actually have one) then leaves.

Srgnoodles looks down and realizes that peffern's house is 6000 blocks above the ground, and there's a hole in the floor. The room is made entirely of obsidian, and every 14 seconds a piston retracts, letting water stream into the room, knocking back srgnoodles and resetting his mining progress. Srgnoodles is slowly driven insane by the hole in the floor.

I actually built this trap on a bukkit mc server after reading about the sky cells in game of thrones.

My best approximation.

you forget the fact that i always keep an enderman spawn-egg in my pocket. so as soon as i stole your beard, i spawn the enderman who picks me up and teleports me back to my house

So far this is what other people have suggested, with a bit of clarification (in italics) where I thought it was appropriate.

In the inventory, there would be a sillouhette of the character, with different parts of the body tinted different colors to show the different injuries you have. You can scroll over your body to show what injuries you have in a tooltip.

You could have different severities of injury, marked in the tooltip with asterisks and maybe different names for different severities (i.e. Sprained Ankle **, or Burned *****)

Different treatments exist for different types of injuries, like a splint for a broken limb, or a bandage for a cut. Treatments can be applied by putting it into a slot, like the armor system. A treatment only works once.

Of course, some injuries just can't be healed with stone age medicine, but we'll handwave that because permanent injuries aren't fun.

Keep in mind, little cuts and scrapes will probably heal on their own, but you should probably treat them anyways, in case you aggravate the injury and it gets worse.

On the HUD, there would still be a health bar, but that would just be a quick way to see your overall condition, not your physical condition itself.

Debilitating injuries will have an effect on your character.

Broken limbs force you to slow down, otherwise the injury gets worse.

Blindness makes the screen go almost completely dark.

Poison warps the screen like the 'nausea' effect that's alread coded into the game.

etc.

In this system, you die when your injuries reach a certain, critical point, when the human body just can't cope any longer. It's a somewhat random thing; every time you get injured, or an existing injury worsens, there's a certain chance that it just kills you outright. The more damage you've taken already, the higher the chance of death.

When you die, any injuries you had when you died are still there when you respawn. You get a short, 2-minute grace period when you can't die of existing injuries but you can still rack up new ones. That way, you'll be able to walk to the crafting table and craft a splint without dying of a broken leg. Again.

awesome stuff

thank you, i really hope the devs see this

thank you, i really hope the devs see this

Thanks man :)

Wasn't all me, though. It was mostly a summary of what other people have said.

2 more things:

Hunger, thirst, stamina, and what have you, are tied into the paper doll health sytem, effectively functioning as injuries with a severity linked to how much food you eat, etc.

Devs? Can we please have a sign from the heavens about where the health sytem is going?

I like this. One thing to add: when you get an injury, all related injuries have a chance of worsening, and on an injury there is a chance if dying if you have a certain injury threshold. This is worsened the farther above the threshold you are.

So don't go staggering around or that stray arrow might just do you in.

I already said that, Peffern:

In this system, you die when your injuries reach a certain, critical point, when the human body just can't cope any longer. It's a somewhat random thing; every time you get injured, or an existing injury worsens, there's a certain chance that it just kills you outright. The more damage you've taken already, the higher the chance of death.

I already said that, Peffern:

eh leave him alone i dont think he can thnk clearly without his beard

Srg, you really should have gone to bed last night. Sorry, I didn't mean to dupe your idea. My bad :D

Srg, you really should have gone to bed last night. Sorry, I didn't mean to dupe your idea. My bad :D

again i am confuzzled

I had this idea too im glad i saw this before i posted like an idiot. I want this implemented.

AND Necroed,

yeah thought i would try necroing this one last time seeing as how bioxx has decided to start working on this type of thing, he has already stated he will be coming back here for ideas so post here is you want bioxx to see your idea, maybe.

AND Necroed,

yeah thought i would try necroing this one last time seeing as how bioxx has decided to start working on this type of thing, he has already stated he will be coming back here for ideas so post here is you want bioxx to see your idea, maybe.

Many greetings, great Necromancer. one day i must learn the ways of your craft.

but seriousy, thi is a really great suggestion and i hope that it stays up here

as do i, it has alot of untapped potential that people just seem to be ignoring.

Have all the good ideas people have suggested been added to the op?

I particularly like who this seems to say that getting stronger should be an active choice, instead of leveling up and getting more health we'll all just take steroids derived from our fallen foes bodies!

And the necessitating of a loom to work wool I think is long overdue.

I've thought a lot about the topic of health, and have been bothered by it from the first time I played minecraft when it was still in alpha, and eating healed directly.

Firstly I think health should be doubled, leaving 40 quarter hearts. This may seem like a lot but in the system I propose it will probably be needed.

Combat against a sharp or piercing weapon should give a bleed debuff, which could last between 5 minutes and a full day depending on severity. The bleed would serve the purpose of being unable to regen health, especially within combat. The bleed debuff could be cured with a bandage, e.g. Wool cloth?

If the bleed continues untreated then the wound could fester, creating an infection. Infections could last for days, and act like a poison of sorts. Since in the early game it would be hard to prevent such happenings. Perhaps in mid game alcohol could serve as an antiseptic for wounds. Infections would cause fever, greater hunger, and perhaps a steady loss of life over time.

Food propagated disease could be interesting, eating raw meat, or diseased fruit could make you sic k, perhaps give a skill debuff, or cap health at a low level. If thirst is implemented the. Drinking water straight from a lake or river could make you sick as well.

Because I have a strong belief that new challenges should be introduced as you solve old ones, I believe diseases should be propogated through domesticating animals. In multiplayer worlds it would be cool if disease could spread player to player, though I'm not sure how this could be coded.

I like the idea of negative death effects, but perhaps not so draconian.

Herbology would be wicked awesome to see in this mod. Willow bark could be used to make a pain relief drought, same with poppy extract. On the note of bark, I would like to see birch bark used as a fire starter.

Burns are an interesting idea. If lye is implemented chemical burns could also be a thing. In the spirit of advancements complicating things, burns could be more common through forges and handling hot pieces of metal.

I'm not sure I like the idea of people having more health than others. It seems to defeat the mods ethos of not implementing skills.

Broken bones would be interesting, but I can't say I like the idea, it would be an incentive not to jump off of high ledges. Bt there is a blurry line between what is believable, and what is just plain annoying.

Which is probably why a realistic health system won't be implemented. Though there is little to suggest that there is no room for improvements.

The point between annoying and realistic is the diffrence between using absolute math and introducing random factor. For example, at X height, you break leg. That is true on an average, but there are many variables that come into play with making it more or less extreme. Le Parkour, for example.

The only way to "simulate" such a thing without making it obvious that one inch too high is bad, is to use a damage percentage that starts at minimum injury distance and increases the chance of injury exponentially past that, making certain leaps risky, but not absolute as to bad / not bad. This in addition to how much damage (or instadeath) is taken past the definite injury line, where there is no question that it's gonna hurt falling that far.

I finally remembered to do this :D

Posted Image

In order from top

Feverfew - Pain Reliever (weaker, more broad effectiveness, can be used as-is)

Sage - Antiseptic (germ killer; think neosporin)

Catnip (yep, catnip) - Blood Coagulant, Swelling Reducer.

Poppy - Pain Reliever (powerful, longer to make)

Wow, how long has it been since i posted this? i remember when i got all excited when Bioxx replied saying he loved this and was planning on using this post when implementing a health system. guess they went in a different direction but man does this bring back memories.

I would love to see a way to make medicine quality vs. quantity, like watering it down to make more or some experimentation on the best dosage or production method, making those who have done the testing in high demand on mp server as well as property knowledge by taste tests or other experiments

I actually like the idea of bandaging yourself after an intense battle, so yeah I like your idea, keep it up

I still view this from time to time since I would still like to have a meaningful injury system. Alas, there are only so many hours in the day.