Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

New Health and Medicine System

99 posts in this topic

Posted Image

You'll also note the odd inventory slots in the last tab. Those were done with two things in mind. If backpacks add inventory slots to Steve, all inventory slots would appear like that until you've gotten a backpack. Otherwise, if you've injured your arm, it could be made so that you also lose inventory space. :U

about the idea of losing inventory space if you injusre your arm(which i like), what would happen to the items that were in those slots before you hurt your arm?

You probably drop them.

probably but i just wanted to ask so other people dont have to guess

I love this topic, I agree, a peice of steak shouldn't revive me.

yeah that is why i started this topic. also we still have time before bioxx gets to the new health system, any ideas, suggestions. gui's or what ever you guys want to add or remove from this idea, please post a comment, together we can build a health system we all want and can agree on. if you think any of thses go to far and make the game to hard, please say so and list some ideas for solutions or replacements, like the research system, some have already posted concerns about it but i will not remove it until we have decided on a sutable replacement for how to teir health related items and increase the difficulty that should be associated with getting the high end medicine. so if you want something removed or think it is a dumb or cheap idea, say so and try to come up with a way to replace or improve upon the idea. thank you and please, if we work together i know we can come up with an awsome health system we will all love.

well if you guys want to take a look at my researh system, you could probably use that s your system for medical advancement

Finally back, got side tracked.

I'm gonna sorta implimentificate Devlin's wool idea into sprites and get up some medicinal herbs and other stuff :D

...I wonder if lumireaver's GUI is transparent or just yellow.

I actually... really love this, and sorry for the necro, but i feel the suggestion thread needed a second look at this, it is brilliantly written, and i concur with.... you know what, everything here :o

Again, I cannot focus on one thing for more than 10 min at a time, gonna go read the whole thread... and put up some things... Hopefully

Have fun

--blue

Well i see this topic keeps getting brought back and forgotten but the ideas and support are much appreciated. I am having serious computer problems of late and have unfortunately been unable to get on for quite some time. I hope to see more ideas and suggestions for this as with beta 2 growing every day it might not be too long before Bioxx decides to implement a new health system. I made this suggestion not strictly for a specific idea but so we as a community can build a new health system we can all enjoy. If you have ideas post them, if you have doubts or think something should be removed post a comment telling us about it. If you just want to give support please post a comment giving that support so this can stay near the top of the suggestions page and others have a chance to see it and build upon it. Every time this page is necoed it has a chance to be improved.

Many people seem to like my ideas but others think that it is to complicated or out of place. If you have a better idea or a way to simplify these ideas please post a comment. Remember this is a page for everyone to discuss and build upon this suggestion until we have a system we can all be happy with

*mashes 'Like' button repeatedly* This is a great idea. Pure awesomesauce. I really dig that I would have to be careful about jumping off ledges. As it is right now, I think to myself, "Meh. Half a heart or a heart? No biggie." *chomps steak*

This sort of realism is right up my alley.

I really don't see why this isn't accepted totally lol, bioxx did say he would refer to it alot when considering these kinds of things, so that's a plus.

This means people will be going town to town trying to sell their "cure all" remedies to common ailments. Knowing how gullible people may be, people would get the short end of the deal and end up with a bottle of cucumber water, while refreshing, does nothing for a leg cramp or scrape on the knee (made up injuries).

holy crap someone necro'd this?

Well, I still think it needs a bit of work...

holy crap someone necro'd this?

Well, I still think it needs a bit of work...

i agree this needs work, but do to some serious computer problems i am not going to be updating the suggestion anymore, i am merely going to let people post there ideas here and discuss until we can all come to an agreement, then i will probably hand over my account to some one so they can fix it up nice and pretty. i suck at presentation anyways. i will edit it a bit before i log off for a long time. probably will not be back for months seeing as how i need anew computer and have college to think about. any ways yes this idea needs work, but this is not purely about the post, but about the comments and suggestions from the community. instead of saying you think it needs work, tell us what exactly or generally needs work so we can focus and improve this topic. if you do not like something give you opinion on how it should be changed.

Totally love this.

Just to point out, you wouldn't nessesarily need to implement seprate hitboxes for each part of the body.

You could instead get a random chance to hit different parts of the body when you attack a player or mob.

It's easy to smack someone in the chest, so you would hit that most often, but if you want to stab someone in the feet, crippling them, you'd need to get lucky.

That way we could still have realistic healing and wounds, but we wouldn't have to drive dunk to suicide. Yet.

Anyways, correct me If I'm wrong about how feasible it would be to code this.

Totally love this.

Just to point out, you wouldn't nessesarily need to implement seprate hitboxes for each part of the body.

You could instead get a random chance to hit different parts of the body when you attack a player or mob.

It's easy to smack someone in the chest, so you would hit that most often, but if you want to stab someone in the feet, crippling them, you'd need to get lucky.

That way we could still have realistic healing and wounds, but we wouldn't have to drive dunk to suicide. Yet.

Anyways, correct me If I'm wrong about how feasible it would be to code this.

Good point, this would not be hard to code. if i am not mistaken Bethesda Softworks used something similar while coding armor damage in both Morrowind and Oblivion. Shame they removed it in Skyrim, but it made my life easier. and they probably use a similar system for the armor damage calculation in Minecraft. all they would have to do is make a simple mesh that is constant on the character to assign the same system. and then code it so that directly affects life. im sure they could work out a simple and awesome system.

I am generally not too fond of "research table" ideas... I think Minecraft is "that game" where the player's experience and knowledge makes them strong, not having put an item in a slot 4:13 ago.

Then again, it may be fun. I just don't know how much I should like this "get more hearts" idea, I prefer the realistic "get better armor" approach.

What I do like a lot, and, in my book, it could even be overdone even more, is this whole "Robinson's Requiem" kind of approach. People from the stone age up to the medieval times were, in our view, undernourished and didn't have enough medical support, so why not enhance Steve's base abilites by a lot, but make it difficult to approach that peak performance? It'd motivate farmers and the new physicians, no?

good idea, and i do agree that getting more hearts is a bit... not sure how to put it, but the biggest problem with a hearts system is just how limited it is. you have to compensate for space. have very specific numbers and such. in my opinion a complete overhaul of the health system is in order. and gaining more health is a valid idea. as people train to improve their physical performance as well as endurance. there are people who live longer, can take more damage and survive more deadly wounds then others. there are men who train them selves physical, eat healthy and take care of themselves with good medicine and can survive things most others would not, such as being gutted, my mom worked in a prison and had to scoop a man guts off the pavement while he was still alive. while i do agree that getting more health from medicine is unrealistic, this mod is not about realism, just believability,. and a leveling system like in Skyrim would be a hell of a lot of work just to improve some ones health. in my opinion a health bar is much more versatile. no limit on health as it does not need to get bigger, allows for larger variety of effects/ health boosts/ damage calculation. thus allowing the player to acquire more injuries and not die after getting a bruised leg and a broken pinkie (i don't know, these just popped out). it would allow Bioxx more freedom to expand and perfect the health system, yes it would be more work then sticking with a inferior system and just building around it but i believe that the little bit of extra work will simplify everything, especially if it is a system he designed himself that he can manipulate easier due to familiarity rather then having to learn to work someone else's work. sorry i am a bit of a messy typer unless i can fit in a particular format such as bullet point of Cornelle.

About "healthy living": How about this: the game memorizes how many different food items you've eaten in the past x hours. If your diet has variety, your maximum health slowly increases. If you are hungry (< 3 food bars) or starving, you slowly lose maximum life. Diet variety could also mean slight buffs to natural armor.

If you die, your max health could drop, maybe even way below the starting value, which, in turn, could be less than what we have today. While a society with a good smithery and good mining could rely on high-tier armor to keep their citizens alive, a farmer's community could spend their time building a healthy diet that, with their soldiers having 30% natural damage reduction and 5 times the health.

Also, health regeneration and wound susceptibility, buffs and debuffs, poison and illness resistance - all these could make use of a "diet variety meter". We don't even need to go all "25% carbohydrates, 12% protein" on this, it'd be enough to have a "how many different food items" counter. A good farmer can get all possible foods, and if someone accomplishes that and eats them in the highest possible variety, that could be a big plus.

Since this thread appears to have been necro'd and re-necro'd. I'm going to necro something else, the old sims argument. The immersive feel of mc and TFC is a key point for me. I don't want to feel like a person controlling Steve, I want to feel like I AM Steve! And that means no levels, no stats, and no obscure computations. Those are fine for works generation and farming but when it comes to the player I want there ti be as little between Steve and me as possible. And I'd anyone takes that last sentence in a perverted manner I will get very angry(not pretty). :)

To compliment this, thirst should be added along with hunger as a basic requirement of living.

Stamina would be added (as a replacement for the old hunger) and could be replenished by sleeping.

To compliment this, thirst should be added along with hunger

Repeat: I want to BE Steve not manage his stats.

Stamina would be added (as a replacement for the old hunger) and could be replenished by sleeping.

Like.

Since this thread appears to have been necro'd and re-necro'd. I'm going to necro something else, the old sims argument. The immersive feel of mc and TFC is a key point for me. I don't want to feel like a person controlling Steve, I want to feel like I AM Steve! And that means no levels, no stats, and no obscure computations. Those are fine for works generation and farming but when it comes to the player I want there ti be as little between Steve and me as possible. And I'd anyone takes that last sentence in a perverted manner I will get very angry(not pretty). :)

agree'd this is what we've been trying for with all these things

experience points are rather useless without a leveling system which is NOT going to be added, and using them for enchanting your stuff is just plain silly.

i was really liking the idea of instead of a flat health meter, there would be a "paper cutout" of your Steve (or Stevette as the case may be with some people)that shows where you get hurt

so like if yo get slashed on the arm by an enderman, it would show your arm as hurt and would say "cut/bleeding" and you would need toget a bandage on that

or if you get bit by a spider on the leg, it would show your leg as hurt, and the overall picture would be greenish showing that you have been poisoned and you need an antidote as well as a bandage for the bite

if any of these "effects" go on for too long, dependsing on what they were, you would either die or get disabled in some way

poison: caused by eating poisonous plants and venomous creatures would obviously kill you if un-cured also, would cause a green/yellow effect around the edge of the screed that gets worse as time goes on

bleeding: caused by most forms of damage such as cuts and peircing damage. most would be minor and not require much attention. would kill you but slower than poison, also would cause the edge of the screen to go red/black and would get worse as time went on

Broken Bones: caused by explosions and fall damage if on leg, cause massive speed redugtion, on arm causes massive damage/mining speed reduction. wouldnt actually kill you but often have bleeding with them

thats all i can think of at the moment