Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lipki

Integrated Map

6 posts in this topic

(Sorry for my english)

I use a minimap ... you too? Yeah you too!

It's not so much for the map, or to locate the mobs, that's for the Waypoints.
Use a mod, it's not very RP.

My idea is to set up a system of hand-drawn map.
Like this:

Posted Image

legends :

1: With a style "hand made" and a color by biome.
2: Waypoints can be placed by the player where he wants.
3: only the types of biomes are automatically drawn.

4: the map is drawn as close to the player, and only when he looks at her.
5: the spawnpoint is placed automatically.

To use it you must have in your tool bar, a blank paper or an existing map, a bottle of ink and a feather.
A click with the paper make the map and each addition in this map uses ink and feather.

Posted Image

To create the ink :

Posted Image

I do realize that it is complicated, I'm not sure to be able to do it myself.
But we can discuss.

I usually use Map Writer for my mapping needs. The map you are suggesting sounds like the old Vanilla map with waypoints. I like the idea, but with so many mods that work well for mapping I do not think that it would be a high priority for it to be integrated into TFC. I would personally like to see mobs and such worked on before any mapping integration. Perhaps someone could make a mod that has the features you suggest. It would likely happen sooner than if the developers of TFC were to work on it because I assume they are rather busy with the current features of 79 and 80. I wish I had the knowledge and time to do so, but alas I posses neither.

I actually do kind of like that you could 'unlock' waypoints so that it was something you worked for- it would give us a reason to make paper as well and to add new mechanics in paper-making. Further, it could also allow a use for dyes, which are similarly only used scarcely. In addition to that, it would also mean that in killing a player you could obtain their maps and gain their waypoints... or if you died you might lose your waypoints and have to retrieve them from your death position.

EDIT: Use for dyes could be to make more complex and more informative maps with more colours per biome or with ways of colour coding waypoints.

I would like it if the spawnpoint doesn't automatically register, and your location isn't shown as well, so while you have waypoints and a map, it's up to you to find your way around.

Would also like it if ink is bottle+dye and the color of the waypoints/map depends on the dye.

Like, the map is 'blank' until you color in the biomes and such, but what biome gets what color depends on what ink you choose.

So in my map, I might choose to color the desert white, because I have lots of bones, but another player might choose to color it yellow(or something like that)

A Great Idea. I use Map Writer for a similar game-feeling but it disturbed me that you don't need any kind of resources.

The paperwork should be a hard thing so every new waypoint or wider map you will have, need the creation of a lot papers, pins and ink.

Honestly, I want to see this happen because I want to see a proper, believable and interesting paper-making process. This would be the perfect reward for the implementation of those mechanics. 

I think the mod at the moment needs to add depth. It's already a very broad mod, with many mechanics, but a lot of those mechanics don't really tie into one another. Dyes, for example, have a cool mechanic for being made and not a lot of uses. Adding their use in other things like as a tool for upgrading your maps would be amazing- it would also give a functional reason to use some of the minerals that only serve as dyes. 

Finding lapis isn't usually a big thing, but if it let you colour your oceans blue and finally get a good looking map? Well, that's useful.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0