Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RogueHydra

Farm Animals

26 posts in this topic

Here's a thought for an expansion on the agriculture system to make it more interesting as well as even partially necessary to make a thriving base.

Firstly, this would possibly require the removal of most if not all naturally spawning livestock animals in the world.

The idea involves boxing off a plot of land using fences and then build a trough with planks and feed (wheat for now I guess). The trough itself will allow the livestock to spawn within the fenced area.

Here's a thought for an expansion on the agriculture system to make it more interesting as well as even partially necessary to make a thriving base.

Firstly, this would possibly require the removal of most if not all naturally spawning livestock animals in the world.

The idea involves boxing off a plot of land using fences and then build a trough with planks and feed (wheat for now I guess). The trough itself will allow the livestock to spawn within the fenced area.

i would have to disagree with this idea, it sets you up for it to essentially be automated and you cant kill the mobs in the beginning for food if they dont spawn, i think that a spawn area is too focused and makes it too easy. leave them in the wild, lower the spawnrates.

You don't need the original mobs spawning for food. In fact, I actually start a wheat farm for food first off and hunger bar still usually has 2 or 3 full spots left when I'm finally making bread. And I did say most if not all, and yeah, I was just thinkin that removing ALL livestock wouldn't be a good idea. As for automated, I don't understand what you mean. Also, the spawnrate for a feeding trough I think should only spawn up to 2 of one of the animals - the rest would need to be bread. The fenced in area would need to be a minimum size as well really. Say at least a 5x5.

For the trough to function it would also have to be filled with feed otherwise it essentially turns off.

i dont agree with letting them spawn in, it really leves the whole animal farming completely useless... make spawn pen, forget about it. i would agree about making troughs and having them auto breed from the trough or something like that, but definitely not having them spawn in.

So maybe what if we hearded them in from the wild and the trough sort of attracts them so they don't run off. I mean, farm animals are in the simpest sense a feed and forget thing. What do you think if you crafted a shephard's crook and use that to try and get the animals you want to farm into a the pen? Think that'd make a better balance that way? The idea is completely open so feel free to add into it anything you think would make it more interesting.

So maybe what if we hearded them in from the wild and the trough sort of attracts them so they don't run off. I mean, farm animals are in the simpest sense a feed and forget thing. What do you think if you crafted a shephard's crook and use that to try and get the animals you want to farm into a the pen? Think that'd make a better balance that way? The idea is completely open so feel free to add into it anything you think would make it more interesting.

well you can already herd animals with wheat in your had, so i dont think anything needs to be added, and you can just pen them in with fences. its pretty solid

Oh really? I totally missed that feature haha. My bad.

Oh really? I totally missed that feature haha. My bad.

lol herding animals with wheat is vanilla MC, and people still dont know that you can do it. i guess its cause i happened to see it on a mc video before i started playing mc

lol herding animals with wheat is vanilla MC, and people still dont know that you can do it. i guess its cause i happened to see it on a mc video before i started playing mc

Some of us had to learn it the hard way :P

you would need to herd them to the fencing (just without using wheat) and still spawn in the world .

I used to keep up with all the changelogs for MC and I generally farm wheat (and when found: melons) for food rather than rounding up cattle or pigs. My luck always had sheep spawning more often than any other animal. Even chickens don't like spawning much for me. So I guess that feature just slipped my mind.

I guess the crook could be like abomination child of wheat and the fishing rod... not much to say but you can drag [and I do mean DRAG] the animals one at a time, and even toss them, if you want.

The real question is how would the tossing work; would it throw it at your cursor, or opposite the cursor. hopefully both though.

sorry guys, this isn't going to happen

sorry guys, this isn't going to happen

Bam. word-o-god up in here.

But maybe if you make passive mobs despawn again, bioxx could add a feeding trough block that only has the effect of preventing passive mobs from despawning in a certain area around it. It could have a small GUI like a log pile where you put wheat in, and the wheat disappears one by one on a timer, depending on how many passive mobs are in the AOE. When it's empty, the effect stops and the mobs can despawn.

That way undomesticated animals are transient and have to be hunted, while domesticated animals become a reliable staple - the same way it worked when farming first came about IRL

Pretty sure passive mobs don't despawn anymore in vanilla. I might be but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Pretty sure passive mobs don't despawn anymore in vanilla. I might be but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

...maybe if you make passive mobs despawn again...

lol I just realized this topic was started with our texture guy (who I'm now friends with lol)

lol I just realized this topic was started with our texture guy (who I'm now friends with lol)

lol yup. Btw gj on the LP with Nieztro, very entertaining.

lol yup. Btw gj on the LP with Nieztro, very entertaining.

Ha. Yeah I don't see his name in my inbox very often.

So any thoughts on the whole spawning/despawning thing?

dang its too bad i have no ideas about coding or texturing, i still wanna help out with the development of this mod though

Ha. Yeah I don't see his name in my inbox very often.

So any thoughts on the whole spawning/despawning thing?

Mobs will mate a breed in the wild

Mobs will mate a breed in the wild

o_o

...Neat!

Since Terrafirmacraft is about realism what about adding a hunger bar to any domesticated animal? The idea is that to make an animal farm you should have to feed them or they would despawn. Once you fed an animal once it would be automatically domesticated, requiring you to provide for them. That would make a lot more sense. Their hunger bar should last a few days so is not like they would die just because you skip a day.

Also our hunger bar needs to be tweaked. In real life no one can survive just on meat or bread. We actually need the vegetables and everything else. One idea would be to have more complex foods and recipes, so if your health is low eating 5 breads would never get you to full health for that you would need a variety of foods.

I can see myself planting a vegetable garden with lettuce and tomatoes. Baking bread and finally having a cheeseburger.

Also please:

Bread need to be baked right?

How come sheep don’t drop meat?

Who would eat rotten flesh?

Pigs should drop meat, fat and bacon. Fat could be used in food recipes or for candles or lamps.

<insert stuff here>

Almost everything you just said has been suggested in other threads already. Lurk moar.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0