Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Henduluin

[Solved][79.4] Nutrition/MaxHP only going down despite balanced meals?

34 posts in this topic

Hey there. Just got back into TFC after not playing for quite a while and having a blast exploring all the new stuff. I seem to have hit something of a snag, however.

While I've been able to figure out most of the features I wasn't familiar with, either by experimentation or browsing the wiki, one thing that I cannot quite figure out is the food system, more specifically the way the five groups of food affect maximum health.

I get that filled bars = more hp, but that's the thing: The bars only keep depleting and never fill back up, even though I've been eating balanced meals. I'm currently down to 89 max hp and I'm rather afraid I'll just keel over dead within a day or two of in-game time, despite having no shortage of food.

Is this simply a case of eating the wrong ingredients for my specific account/worldseed, or did I run into a possible bug?Running vanilla TFC with only NEI and the recommended FastCraft mod installed.

Thanks.

*edit*Oh, this is all SSP by the way.

I did notice that as well, all bars go down even though I eat a (more or less) balanced meal. I however haven't seen any bad effects yet, and my HP are at 892 which doesn't seem that bad either.

I've seen the same thing. It feels that the nutrition is depleating faster than I'm able to eat to fill it. i droped down to 120ish before dieing and resetting back to 1000.

I just made a few tests in creative and it seems that salads and sandwiches don't fill any nutrition bar at all. If I eat each ingredient separately however, the bars do go up.

Interesting, to me it seemed like it would go up with meals and individually just not enough to have a net gain. The first time i had low nutrition down to 120 max health it was by only eating individualy.

The amount of nutrition that you get from food is entirely based on how well the taste profile of that item matches your player's desired taste profile. It is entirely possible that all of the food you are finding your player just finds disgusting, so you aren't getting very much nutrition from it.

As your cooking skill level increases, the tooltips on the food becomes more and more descriptive to let you know how close to your profile the food is. When a meal is created, it saves the skill level of the player who created it, so on servers you can have the experienced chef make the meal, and then you will still see the descriptive tip.

But. but. I love corn. Hmm are those tool tips the sweet, salty and savory ones or new ones that you only see at higher level?

But. but. I love corn. Hmm are those tool tips the sweet, salty and savory ones or new ones that you only see at higher level?

The tool tips are indeed the sweet, salty, etc. The difference is that as you level up, instead of just saying "Not Sweet" or "Sweet" you'll get a better range of values such as "Very Sweet" or "Ridiculously Sweet" or "Perfectly Sweet"

I see, I expected this might've been it, but figured I'd check just to make absolutely certain.

Thanks for letting me know. Time to look around for other types of food, then.

The amount of nutrition that you get from food is entirely based on how well the taste profile of that item matches your player's desired taste profile. It is entirely possible that all of the food you are finding your player just finds disgusting, so you aren't getting very much nutrition from it.

It is an interesting mechanic but I think it needs some tweaking, in my game I'm now in September and all my nutrition bars are black, reducing my max health to 50 hp, despite the fact that I spent the summer eating various food for each nutritional category (except dairy). I didn't notice any of them increasing my nutrition more than the others.

Maybe you could make it so that there is no nutritional malus for a category if your nutrition for that category is under a treshold or tweak the malus values.

As it is now, it is neither realistic nor believable and it breaks the gameplay (how could you survive in hardcore ?).

You do have a point. Ive been in the same situation and ive found my self just stop eating because my nutrition can't get lower. Ive also been killing myself to get full nutrition again. I do still like this mechanic though.

After living for a while I noticed the same issue: health goes down steadily, and food is not enough to keep it up. However killing yourself is an effective method to reset those food values, so killing yourself seems to be a healthy thing to do at the moment.

I think if you ate at least one nutrition type recently then that value should not go below a certain limit like 50%, even if the food wasn't that good. This way a player eating at least every type would stay at 50% HP. Better food and preparation would raise that, ignoring one food type would lower it further.

We realize with all of these reports that this is likely indeed a valid issue and the mechanic needs rebalancing. However, Bioxx mentioned that he's probably going to wait until he's able to get some time to play through the mod himself and see exactly how it is behaving first hand before he starts tweaking things.

If you have a recorded series of just general gameplay for 79 uploaded to youtube that shows a bit of how this mechanic is currently behaving, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send it our way so that we can see what's going on and at least get some sort of idea before we start testing and tweaking it ourselves.

I like the *idea* of having specific "tastes" for each character. In my first TFC 79 world, I spawned in a pretty homogenous environment that did not have a lot of fruit. I have made it to late summer, but my max nutrition has dropped to 300. I acknowledge that I am not eating a "balanced" diet, but it seems pretty impossible for me to try and keep up with my ever decreasing max health. I am also eating a lot of sandwiches that contain both meat and vegetables, but only my grain meter remains high.

It has been a few days since the last post in this thread, so I wanted to see if there was any word from the devs about whether this was working as intended.

As is, without any information on the wiki, it is very frustrating to figure out how to keep my max health up. Some starter questions:

• How is the max health related to the nutrition statistics? 
  • Is it possible to have a high max health when not eating one category (usually Dairy)?
  • Should I be eating raw ingredients of various to increase my nutrition statistics, or making sandwiches?
  • Is the best procedure to just keep making sandwiches until one of the tastes has "Very" or greater, even if this wastes food?
  • Do sandwiches give nutrition in each category?
  • Is it possible to make a more nutritious sandwich with the Novice cooking score, or do I have to level up first?

Thanks for any guidance, I would really rather not break my immersion by having to kill myself every few months to reset the meter to 1000.

I am not a dev, but this is what I figured out so far:

1. Nutrition bars directly determine your max health. The higher the bars overall the higher your max HP.

2. If you skip one category completely you can still have 4/5 of the max HP possible.

3. Theoretically you could keep your level high by eating exact amounts of perfectly prepared/cooked food, but in the end it is much easier to just make some sandwiches.

4. Each taste can be "perfect" (it will say so in the tooltip once your cooking skill is at adept or higher). A food item with perfect taste in all categories will have the highest nutrition/satiation value.

5. If you combine ingredients accordingly, a sandwich can have a perfect taste and give nutrition in all categories. This however requires to have one food item of each category in each slot, while grain will be reserved for the bread.

6. It is possible to make a perfect sandwich at the first try, however the chance for that is very low. As soon as you reach adept level you will receive much more detailed information about the food you are using, which will make combining food much easier.

• How is the max health related to the nutrition statistics? 
  • Is it possible to have a high max health when not eating one category (usually Dairy)?
  • Should I be eating raw ingredients of various to increase my nutrition statistics, or making sandwiches?
  • Is the best procedure to just keep making sandwiches until one of the tastes has "Very" or greater, even if this wastes food?
  • Do sandwiches give nutrition in each category?
  • Is it possible to make a more nutritious sandwich with the Novice cooking score, or do I have to level up first?

• The nutrition/max health ratio hasn't changed. http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Food#Nutrition
    • In essence, each category accounts for 20% of your max health.
  • If you do not eat one category, you will be at 80% Max Health. (So 800HP instead of 1000)
  • Eat Raw ingredients right now, Sandwiches are broken.
  • Tastes should be reading "Perfect". "Very" means that the taste is too strong.
  • Sandwiches are broken right now.
  • You can make a perfectly nutritious sandwich with absolutely no cooking skill,  but it is very difficult to do because you don't have the descriptive tooltips.

Like kitty said the devs what to get some play time in before changing this, i imagine they probably dont get that much time to do this with the new release.

As for your questions the .78 nutrition information on the wiki should be good for most of them, as for the new .79 stuff i would say try to eat some of everything and mix and match untill you get "very" or greater on your food.

Unfortunately the way things are you will probably not be able to maintain your nutrition and when it gets down to zero you might as well stop eating as it would only be waste of food.

I am having similar issues but I feel the need to clarify what exactly I'm seeing in game.

On day one of our new server we found some wild veggies, Carrots and Green Beans. We munched on them for a while and our other bars began dropping off since we had none of them to eat. All of the animals seemed to begin as Baby animals in world so we couldn't kill them for food. Then we decided to cook them to see if we could get them to taste better. We did get Carrots to be Savory as well as the green beans, and both of us, my wife and I, had them at the same levels of cooked. (we have since found places where our tastes differ, that's not a bug just coincidence. However, I discovered a possible duping bug related to CTRL-Click on cooking food. Since I was holding CTRL while the food cooked (it cooks way too fast BTW) I left clicked it when it became tasty and it seemed to dupe into my bag.  I then left clicked the one in the campfire and it too came out. These two stacks would not combine but my wife and I could use them normally and by splitting them into two new stacks, they could be combined normally.)

Anyhow, cooked veggies were all we ate for several days and the rest of the nutrition fell away. We then got some maize and made corn meal and then corn bread. Great stuff, both savory and sweet for me. I decided that this would be a good time to try sandwiches and while a green bean on cornbread sandwich sounds horrible to me, my character seemed to like it. After a day or two of eating sandwiches, I've noticed some problems though. My Veggie nutrition is falling off slowly and Grain is not rising at all, not even a sliver. My sandwiches are now made with oat bread, which is sour to me and tomato which is both sweet and savor sot they are very satisfying and they degrade my hunger much more slowly... however the nutrition is still falling off. I have two veggies in the sandwich (since you cannot put two breads in for some reason) and yet the veggie level is dropping slowly.)

I also discovered that there is absolutely no way to cook potatoes that gives them any flavor for me, which I find horrifying since I love taters myself :) I also discovered that if you are a little bit hungry and the sandwich is very satisfying like mine are that you can actually only eat a little bit of it. I had one sandwich last for 3 meals which surprised me and I thought it needed a mention here.

One last food related issue, the butchering thing is way problematic. No drops are happening at all from pigs, none. They used to drop like hundred of pounds of meat and now, ziltch. I thought it was supposed to be 1% and it's 0%. Nor any hides. Spiders are dropping nothing either, so no silk. (Suggestion, make alternative recipe for fishing pole involving Jute Fiber. Fish seems like the only reliable -ish source of protein left.) In fact most of the mobs are dropping nothing at all. No bones from skellies, no gunpowder from creepers. Only the Zombies seem to still drop rotten flesh. The lack of leather is very troubling as well.  One last note, the Support beans used to go 5 blocks high and the new ones top out at 4. it seems odd to me.

I sat and fished for less than half a day and went from getting 0.5 oz fish to getting 3 oz fish in that time using less than one rod. butchery takes some practice to be useful but it goes up fairly quick when you actually sit down and do it, and one rod lasts plenty long enough

By chance Llywylln is your server running Cauldron? If it is that is your animal no drop issue. Until the server host updates our Cauldron I can't tell you if it will in fact fix it, but there is a cauldron patch that updates it to the correct forge version for TFC.

I just wanted to mention, that I consider fixing this problem a high priority. I don't know about other people, but I don't particularly enjoy a TFC-game, where dying is actually a good thing!

Even eating raw ingredients of different classes only (since meals seem to be broken) doesn't seem to stop the constant loss of max HP, partly because your hunger bar is only so long, and eating one bite of this and one bite of that until your hunger bar is full again, won't do very much for your "balanced diet".

This whole nutrition system really seems to discourage the "nomadic age" at the moment.

So while I have to commit suicide every time I plan to do some exploring to prevent dying from a whimp, I consider this game broken ...

I personally don't have this problem. After various expeditions I now have a great variety of different crops, and am starting to learn what works and what doesn't. My only issue is dairy, since I have yet to meet a cow. Sure, I started out with only yellow bell peppers (Which seems to do nothing for me, nutritionally), but over time I found crops that did fill my nutrition, I only have 2 kinds of berries, and luckily one of them seems decent enough. I think you all just need to explore a bit more and maybe practice cooking so you can get a better reading on your taste profile.

I just wanted to mention, that I consider fixing this problem a high priority. I don't know about other people, but I don't particularly enjoy a TFC-game, where dying is actually a good thing!Even eating raw ingredients of different classes only (since meals seem to be broken) doesn't seem to stop the constant loss of max HP, partly because your hunger bar is only so long, and eating one bite of this and one bite of that until your hunger bar is full again, won't do very much for your "balanced diet".This whole nutrition system really seems to discourage the "nomadic age" at the moment.So while I have to commit suicide every time I plan to do some exploring to prevent dying from a whimp, I consider this game broken ...

You sum it up pretty good. I'm back to .78 because of this. The interface for creating meals is broken and eating the raw stuff just does not cut it. That build needs a ton of tweaking to be enjoyable/playable. Some design decisions seems a bit rushed and weird to me.

Some design decisions seems a bit rushed and weird to me.

I will say it's always interesting when after 6 months of people complaining that TFC 79 is taking too long to release and we should hurry up and just get it out, there is a post like this.

The build does lack a bit of testing that's for sure, but then it is marked beta, so that can be expected.

Have you considered doing more frequent updates with less changes each? That way you could implement feature by feature, get feedback and bug reports for each, and people wouldn't be overwhelmed by a sudden change of everything.