Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Regnilse

Smoke racks

26 posts in this topic

In the change log for version 0.79.0 it was mentioned smoke racks were added, but since then I havent heard or seen anything about them. Did they actualy get added in 0.79.0 or were they delayed for a future update?

I believe that 'smoke racks' are this.

First you need to place wool (maybe string). IIRC the max length is 5 blocks.

Then I believe you need to have brined your meat or whatever.

Then with more wool (string) on your hot bar you right click your meat onto the line.

Then place a firepit underneath and smoke away.

I tried to figure it out in creative on 79.1, I had a few crashes due to using commands to pass time and my use of spawning items vs spawning tools to obtain items was inconsistent so I never successfully smoked anything, but I did manage to make a smoke rack by placing wool yarn between two blocks, and i made brine with 9 buckets of saltwater and 1 of vinegar and put food in the brine and sealed it, so if you have the resources for it id work from there and post your experience for us :)

Excellent. Is the recipe for vinegar the same, resealing alcohol? Ive tryed that bit the barrel didnt say output vinegar.

Excellent. Is the recipe for vinegar the same, resealing alcohol? Ive tryed that bit the barrel didnt say output vinegar.

That's what the nei plugin says but I didn't manage to make vinegar

Then with more wool (string) on your hot bar you right click your meat onto the line.

Where do you click exactly ? I tried with racks from 1 to 3 blocks wide but I can't get the brined meat to attach.

I haven't actually managed to do it yet myself, I was just trying to pull what I remembered from pakrat's stream when he was doing some testing

If you watch Pakratt's pre-release stream, he does eventually figure out drying, as well as smoking the meat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TerraFirmaCraft/comments/2gpm1u/tfc_build_79_livestream_footage/

The recipe for vinegar changed in 79, but unfortunately wasn't properly documented so I missed it when writing the change log. To make vinegar, you need to seal a piece of fruit inside of your alcohol barrel.

The best way to tell if you are doing something correctly when it comes to the barrel is whether or not there is a message at the bottom when you hit seal. If all you see is the date, and no sort of message about what kind of processing is going on, something is wrong and it isn't going to do anything no matter how long you let it sit there before you unseal.

On the subject of smoke racks and brining, while I figured out how to make the racks, I just can't get the meat to brine. I seal the barrel. I've tried switching the in/out button, waited several days, nothing. The meat just comes out half rotten and never brines. Am I just slow or am I a little bugged?

i havent been able to try it yet, hopefully tonight but im guessing that the meat would need to be a full 160oz, if you've tryed that then im not sure what the problem would be just yet.

I have been using a full 160oz of meat with no rot each time. Just can't get it to work. :SMy boyfriend's been testing it out, too, and we can make vinegar (except with corn whiskey, but I think that's because it's new and doesn't have the same code as the rest of the alcohol yet, so that needs to be added unless it's intended that corn whiskey not make vinegar *shrug*). We just can't brine. :S

Pre-post Edit: He figured it out! It has to be a half stack of meat! 160oz is too much. 80oz works. *cheers*

Where do you click exactly ? I tried with racks from 1 to 3 blocks wide but I can't get the brined meat to attach.

I figured it out! You have to have the smoke rack's string line up north-south. Example: on the Z coord, for a five length rack, the solid block to which the strings attach would be at the coords Z:100 and Z:106 respectively.

So far we have tested and can note that: 

1. You can't brine more than five pounds (80oz) at a time.

2. Meat brines in four hours.

3. Racks must line up north-south.

4. Rot doesn't matter when attaching them to racks.

5. You can attach a ten pound (160oz) slab to each section of the rack.

6. Meat dries almost instantly.

Thats the problem, north south.

I can also add to you tested list

1. Meat can be cooked or salted before or after brining and pickling

2. Brining takes 100mB from the barrel, giving you 100 items worth.

3. Items can be recombined after brining/pickling. (i did hit a bug sometimes, that i cant replicate, where the item looses its brine or pickle)

4. Pickling doesnt use up any vinegar and takes no time.

Edit

5. cooking removes the dried from the meet and you can not dry cooked meet.

(testing to see if you can actualy smoke with the smoke rack or just dry.)

Edit #2

Indeed! by leaving the dried meat on the smoke rack and making a fire pit underneath you can smoke the meat. Smoking does appear to require restocking the fire pit with wood. Cooking the meat will then remove the "smoked".

If you watch Pakratt's pre-release stream, he does eventually figure out drying, as well as smoking the meat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TerraFirmaCraft/comments/2gpm1u/tfc_build_79_livestream_footage/

I figured it out! You have to have the smoke rack's string line up north-south. Example: on the Z coord, for a five length rack, the solid block to which the strings attach would be at the coords Z:100 and Z:106 respectively.

Thanks, it was usefull. It took me a while to figure out that the meat has to be brined but not cooked, else it won't attach.

The drying on the stream happens in part 3 at 45mn.

#1 As you can see here I cant reproduce this supposed North/South bug

#2 I've fixed bringing to allow full stacks

#3 Items losing certain properties like pickled/brined etc is not a bug, this is to make it easier for the player when he has 1oz of pickled food and 159oz of non pickled. I'm trying to help reduce inventory clutter.

#4 Pickling is not meant to consume vinegar. Pickling alters the flavor of food and gains most of its decay resistance effects while sitting in the barrel of vinegar. Vinegar is meant to be used to store your food.

The north/south problem doesnt affect the creation of the smoke rack but placing meat on it.

hmm so it would be good then to get lots of vinegar.

Oh and there is a small visual glitch with meat on the smoke rack where it doesnt update the first time, leaving everything one visual update off.

Going back to brining, is it intended that you only brine with over 8 buckets of brine in a barrel? Seeing how well the preserving system is I would guess that its intended.

If pickling is meant to store the food over time in vinegar, it seems a little odd to me, if you need one large vessel or even a barrel to just store a single piece of food.

Would be much nicer if we could pickle in small vessels - one piece of food in a buckets worth of vinegar, or something like that. Also seems much more natural and realistic this way ...

You might be able to, you can move vinegar with a bucket. Im going to try this later today.

Do you have to cook after you smoke it? because you can't eat it.

To smoke the meat you beed to have a light fire pit under the meat. I dont know the exact amount of time it needs to be there but i refill the pit with wood once to make sure its done.

You can't eat it after you smoke it? Are you supposed to cook it afterward?

I've never tried to eat smoked meat, I've always assumed it was like raw meat and you had to cook it first.

it removes the "smoked" attribute. I guess the point is to smoke it to preserve it, and then cook it when you want to eat it. Although presumably it tastes different too.

The smoked attribute doesnt actualy get removed, its only removed from the tool tip to save space but it is still applied. The dried attribute however is removed from both the tool tip and the food.