Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vidaj

Mining in b79

11 posts in this topic

I have to say, I love a lot of the new additions in b79!

I've always found that support beams are a nifty thing, but tbh I've never used them that much. It was usually just prospecting on the surface, digging straight down and doing an x with an 1x2 tunnel to find the sweet-spot. I tried the same old, same old in b79 and boy I was crushed by the cave-ins. 

After my first failed "dig", this is the first mine I dug in b79: http://imgur.com/a/F4UtH

It's really scary to dig now, and I love it! I guess this is exactly what the devs had in mind, and they pretty much nailed it :)

What does your mines look like?

I love it, mining felt way too safe before once you learned how to dig without any risk.

Now I'm carefully planning out the shape of my mine, placing support beams, keeping monster spawning in mind now that torches go out, etc. It's really fun.  :D

Mining is pretty fun with the new update, and once you get the hang of the supports it isn't too annoying. My only complaint with the system is how it interacts with natural caves - mining anywhere near them causes frequent cave-ins, and they're nearly impossible to support since y-level change a lot, it'd require supports all over the place. Combined with the fact you can't light them up, discovering a cave near a key ore deposit is a real bummer now.

I agree with Oswald.  Finding caves while mining was cool before but now it pretty much stinks.  By the time I find the cave it's all filled up with cobble.  Anyone know if there's a config option to turn it back to the way it was?

Edit:  I found the option in the config files but I'm not sure what to reset the variables to.  I liked how it was before.

A tweak could be implemented that allows only cave ins on hanging stone blocks that the played exposed. Maybe easier said than done.

I really like the new mining approche like all of you, require more works and times, but it's much more realistic, fun and beautiful!

BUT, when there are cave ins, those falling cobblestones destroy my support beams and it's very annoying. Cobblestones should be STOPPED by the support beams and don't destroy them.

I install support beams to mine SAFELY, not being buried by cobblestones. These are only blame.

I looked on the wiki, and they say the reason cobble destroys support beams is because the support beams are not supposed to protect you from cave-ins.

They are meant to prevent cave-ins.

Well, I'm not a miner, so unless I get first-hand expirance, I can't really say anything, but I think you should be able to prevent all or at the very least nearly all cave-ins through support beam usage.

Don't mine up! If your support beams run along the roof of your mine shaft than you should never ever have an issue with getting your supports broken. As AllenWL stated, the whole idea behind supports is not to make a forcefield that stops falling blocks, but to prevent them from needing to fall in the first place. This is the first step in my planned mining changes going forward. I'm glad to see that most people enjoy it :)

As far as caves getting destroyed. I'll have to look into that in the future.

I found a piece of coal in my travels, thought I'd mine it and mark it. Tap tap tap, pop....and half the mountain collapsed. Underneath where I was stood happily tapping a lump of coal was a huge open cave. The whole thing collapsed. Thankfully 3 blocks under me was another lump of coal and I didn't fall to my death. I felt quite lonely stood on the top of a column of rock with a huge canyon under me.

I should have taken one! Although I didn't think about it, I was more concerned about not dying.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0