Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sirrush

Scythes

15 posts in this topic

I know they are added as of the unreleased b2 pre 21 update, but I would like to request that they can be viable as a weapon as well as a harvesting tool. This is for two reasons:

1. They have a blade, and said blade must be sharp for a scythe to be useful. Therefore, it should be useable to cut things that are a bit more fleshy.

2. I love scythes, and nothing you could have added wwould ever have the ability to make me more interested in playing this mod. And they make the coolest weapons ever.

*most inefficient weapons ever

Dude it's a farming tool. You ever think of actually using it as a weapon? It's awkward as hell.

Are we talking person-sized scythes or the small one handed scythes more commonly found in Asian regions?

Those small one handed ones turned out to be very effective when farmers rebelled. I'de give it the wood-ax's level of damage

If it's the person-sized/grim reaper styled ones then it would be a terrible weapon. Think about it. The blade is facing towards you. If you wanted to cut anything with it you'de probably end up pulling it closer to you. Maybe the shovel's level of damage considering it is still stone or metal on the end of the stick.

Dude it's a farming tool. You ever think of actually using it as a weapon? It's awkward as hell.

True enough, but they used flails as weapons, and those are pretty awkward too.

Yes but the flail is made to be a weapon and can be mastered as such. Also I guess a hand sized scythe would make a decent weapon. But I don't think he was talking a small scythe but more like the old edgy grim reaper's scythe.

awkward? seriously have you ever even attempted to use a sythe as a weapon? i train daily with every type of weapons, except ranged. sythes are one of the most useful and versitile weapons i have ever trained with. I prefer the naginata but a sythe or hand sai are extremely powerful slashing tools that, yes they take alot of training and perserverance but, if you learn how to handle them they can prove to be very effective

it also depends on the design, a farming sythe makes a decent weapon but a weaponized sythe, designed specificaly for compat makes an exelent weapon

Isn't the little one-handed scythe (or sickle) type tool called a kama (or kai)? I think the sai is the little one-handed trident/dagger-like weapon (and was actually supposed to be blunt, not sharpened to a point). It's been a long time since I've handled either but I have trained in both when I was younger, and yes, the kama is definitely effective (especially a kusarigama - try adding a chain whip to your sickle)

Isn't the little one-handed scythe (or sickle) type tool called a kama (or kai)? I think the sai is the little one-handed trident/dagger-like weapon (and was actually supposed to be blunt, not sharpened to a point). It's been a long time since I've handled either but I have trained in both when I was younger, and yes, the kama is definitely effective (especially a kusarigama - try adding a chain whip to your sickle)

sorry my computer is shit and i am tired, plus i suck at remembering names, it is called a kama, but for some reason i was thinking kai, and my computer messed up the keys again, my s and k buttons seem to be mixed up right now, i will have to get this thing fixed but to tell the truth i can not be bothered

More people know about kamas than I thought it seems. Should have just called them by name. I always loved the story behind them.

Tyrannical lord, "No weapons for the peasants! They might revolt!"

Peasants, "Can we keep these for farming to feed your army?"

Tyrannical lord, "We need food... fine then."

Peasants: *lolface*

But yeah, I can only see the kama version of the scythe being an effective weapon. Unless you sharpen both sides of the blade on the person-sized one.

I'de actually really like to see someone try using something like that come to think of it. Might be similar to the flail: dangerous to learn, and a true danger for everyone else to master.

Based on the awkwardness. How about gaining experience with a weapon as you use it. A skill system could be use for almost anything and as you use the weapon more it becomes less awkward to use it.

I'd slice and dice some with a sickle if that was what i had at hand. heck. I'd stab that zombie in the brain with a chisel and hammer too if i didn't have anything better to use . dunno about a big weedwhacking scythe tho. kinda big and awkward no? should be better than bare handed at any rate. due to it's mass if nothing else.

But my fav weapon has always been and will always be a big honking War Axe.

fun fact:

War Axes are unsuited to chopping wood due to having a large broad curved blade meant for increasing the chance to cause a deep gash in the enemy. the blade has a very real tendency to get stuck due to it's large friction area. a slim axe head is better for cleaving since it tends to press deeper into the log. (less friction when sinking into it, and better concentration of force into a smaller area)

Well, seems like I sparked up a decent debate. I'd like to point out that the scythe used in TFC has a very high chance of just being a kama, due to how Steve holds tools, and item sprite size limitations.

Well, seems like I sparked up a decent debate. I'd like to point out that the scythe used in TFC has a very high chance of just being a kama, due to how Steve holds tools, and item sprite size limitations.

i agree that the way he holds items right now makes it seem like it would be used as a kama. yes i got the keyboard sorted out. but if you look, there is no real sprite size limit, the current sprite sizes are just default, but if you pay attention, mojang edited the bow to look more realalistic when being heald and fired, and bioxx and team altered the way the javelin is held, so now it looks more like you are holding and throwing a spear when you have it eqiuped, so it stands to reason that if they felt inclined they could make all tools have custom sizes that make them look more realalistic, and seeing as how i am a sucker for small details i think that this would be a cool addition, but in all honesty the sickle is actualy a hand tool about the size of most tools used in minecraft in comparison to steeve so he should either change the size of the tool, or change the name of it,

I actualyl did consider renaming it to sickle, however the sprite doesn't match as it was designed to be a scythe. That said, I'll probably be adding a sickle later. For now the scythe will be fulfilling the rolls of both a scythe and a sickle.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0