Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AllenWL

How do you catch a fish?

30 posts in this topic

Er... how do we fish, exactly?

I mean, at first, everything seemed to be going fine, it took a few tries, but I learned how to cast my line, then I got a bit, and started reeling in.

But after a while.... I couldn't catch the fish. No matter how hard I tried or what I did, there was about a 3~4 block distance with me and the fish no matter what I did. and if I did manage to get the fish on land(I admit, the only way I could do this was to run inland and drag the fish up with me) the moment I touched it, it would disappear, and I would get nothing.

So.. how do we fish?

Fish fight back, and can break your line. You need to learn when to give them some slack so that eventually they tire out, and then you can reel them all the way in.

Well that's a rather vaguely understood description, but unless there's some form of cue to the fish's counter struggling, we're just yanking on a stick with a string.

you wait till it says "oh, a bite!" and reel in until it says "the line is about to snap" pretty self explainatory if you are patient enough to ever see it happen in the first place

The fishing rod also has an animation showing how hard the fish is pulling....

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Fish fight back, and can break your line. You need to learn when to give them some slack so that eventually they tire out, and then you can reel them all the way in.

Oh, so I have to just be patient until the fish tires? How long does that usually take?

Anyways, other than the fish tiring thing, the rest where pretty self-explanatory('oh, a bite!' 'the line is about to snap' 'the line snapped') and easy to get, I just couldn't understand why after a full minuet of fighting the fish, I couldn't get it any closer than 3~5 blocks.

Oh, and another question, but does the fish land as a item or as a mob?

Learn how to spear fish, you'll get your butchering skills up while you're at it.

I did my first fishing and it seems really easy. I cast the line 1-2 blocks away, fish catches it and can almost step in to take the fish. Easy XP and quick leveling of butchering skill.

I love the new fishing mechanics as well. so much more entertaining then just waiting untill some fish bites, klick - repeat. vanilla fishing was really boring. Also nice that the fishes you get increase the better you get at buchery (i think that is the dependency). while my first fishes were like 2 oz at maximum, after a few minutes i startet to get up to 8 oz fishes. And the animation for the entire fishing is very nice as well. Btw for all the ppl newly trying it out - i think your fishing rod only takes damage if it snaps. otherwise you can use it infinitly.

If you have trubbe getting the fish, just look at your fishing rod, when you reel in, it bends slightly, if it bends more, let it go for a very short time, and reel in again. the fish might get a litte bit away but you will get him in the end. And to keep it shorter, place the hook just in front of you, like 2-3 blocks from the coast where you stand. no point in fishing in the middle of the pond, 10 blocks or more away from you since that will only increase the chance that the rod snaps before you have reeled in your catch.

A silly question: do fish reproduce? Or do they spawn and despawn like squids?

I have no fishing rod yet, but I assume you have to see actual fish in the water to be able to fish anything? No fishing in Oceans?

No, fish are not visible entities. only if one bites onto your rod, it gets rendered. I am almost 100% positive that they are an infinite source of food (proteins). So to say they only start to exist when they have bitten into your leash, seconds before you kill them... sad live :wacko: . However if your rod snaps the fish gets released and you can follow him around in the water, beat him, kill him or push him onto solid ground where he will start to "drown" simulation a lack of water in case of the fish of corse.

I just realised if the fish do not despawn (never tried whether they do or not) one could put them into an aquarium :D . I hope they do not despawn...

A silly question: do fish reproduce? Or do they spawn and despawn like squids?I have no fishing rod yet, but I assume you have to see actual fish in the water to be able to fish anything? No fishing in Oceans?

You can fish in any body of water, you do not have to see an actual fish mob. However, there are numbers behind the scenes that keep track of a per-chunk "fish population" that decreases when fishing, but can increase over time as the fish "reproduce"

No, fish are not visible entities. only if one bites onto your rod, it gets rendered. I am almost 100% positive that they are an infinite source of food (proteins). So to say they only start to exist when they have bitten into your leash, seconds before you kill them... sad live :wacko: . However if your rod snaps the fish gets released and you can follow him around in the water, beat him, kill him or push him onto solid ground where he will start to "drown" simulation a lack of water in case of the fish of corse.

I just realised if the fish do not despawn (never tried whether they do or not) one could put them into an aquarium :D . I hope they do not despawn...

Fish actually are not an infinite source of protein. There is a population number that is tied to each chunk that goes down every time you catch a fish. So in theory, it is possible to completely fish out an area, and you will not be able to catch any more fish there.

The last I checked (watching Pakratt's pre-release stream), fish do randomly despawn.

But if the population does recover over time, it is technically infinite, if you prevent it reaching 0 in than chunk, or have I missunderstood?

Correct. But you can fish it down to 0, and which point there are no more fish to breed and recover the population. So it is permanently 0

Um, how do you tell the fish population? I'm suddenly afraid to fish....

It's a hidden value that you cannot see in any way, although it will take longer and longer to catch fish as the population decreases.

Oh, so if I start taking longer to catch fish, I should take a rest. Got it

When I was watching Pakratt's stream, it seemed really easy to just kill fish with a sword or spear, though it took a few hits with a javelin. Has this been nerfed or is it intended?

Are fish able to spread between chuncks, in the ocean for example, or is it every chunck for itself and if all the fish die in one, that chunk is dead?

You can fish in any body of water, you do not have to see an actual fish mob. However, there are numbers behind the scenes that keep track of a per-chunk "fish population" that decreases when fishing, but can increase over time as the fish "reproduce"

Fish actually are not an infinite source of protein. There is a population number that is tied to each chunk that goes down every time you catch a fish. So in theory, it is possible to completely fish out an area, and you will not be able to catch any more fish there.

The last I checked (watching Pakratt's pre-release stream), fish do randomly despawn.

is there a reason for this? i think fishing is slow enough that i don't think a balance reason is necessary and realism definitely doesn't apply here since a single person could never fish up a fish population in our scope of time

is there a reason for this? i think fishing is slow enough that i don't think a balance reason is necessary and realism definitely doesn't apply here since a single person could never fish up a fish population in our scope of time

On a larger server, a group of just a few people could easily set up shop and fish enough to have protein to feed everybody on the server. That's why the balancing was put in place. Keep in mind that the cap is relatively high, and just like in real life, it would be extremely difficult for a single person to completely overfish an area.

A silly question: do fish reproduce? Or do they spawn and despawn like squids? I have no fishing rod yet, but I assume you have to see actual fish in the water to be able to fish anything? No fishing in Oceans?

I have to ask again, because in my world I have a big lake and noticed that fish do indeed spawn as swarms of entities, like squids do in the ocean biomes.Now, are they subject to the overfishing limit or is that only applied to fishing with rod? Because to me it does seem like spawned fish are infinite like squids.To clarify: I'm not complainig here, would in fact hate to see those lovely swarms of fish diminishing!Dunk, the fish are really a masterpiece of yours! The model, the whole fishing system, so much detail. And when I discovered that grounded fish try to jump and get back into the water, I was just overwhelmed with awe! :)

I really enjoy the fishing mechanics. It makes it far less boring than vanilla. But it's far too tedious to justify actually doing it. I spent an entire in-game day once fighting a fish only to have the line break anyway. I threw the pole in the lake and never bothered with it again. I can far more easily, and quickly, dive in and use a weapon. It's a shame really, because I'd much rather use a pole and stay dry, but the protein you actually get when you finally get a fish doesn't justify the time it takes. At least until you get your butcher skill up (which has nothing to do with fishing IMO).

Is there a way to tweak the settings for this?

I find that if i cast out over 5 blocks i can never bring the fish in but if its less than that you can just spam right click and you can bring it in easy.

I have to ask again, because in my world I have a big lake and noticed that fish do indeed spawn as swarms of entities, like squids do in the ocean biomes.Now, are they subject to the overfishing limit or is that only applied to fishing with rod? Because to me it does seem like spawned fish are infinite like squids.To clarify: I'm not complainig here, would in fact hate to see those lovely swarms of fish diminishing!Dunk, the fish are really a masterpiece of yours! The model, the whole fishing system, so much detail. And when I discovered that grounded fish try to jump and get back into the water, I was just overwhelmed with awe! :)

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that the limit only applies to fishing with the rod, and that the actual fish entities that naturally spawn in lakes are just like squid and will spawn and despawn whenever they feel like it.

I really enjoy the fishing mechanics. It makes it far less boring than vanilla. But it's far too tedious to justify actually doing it. I spent an entire in-game day once fighting a fish only to have the line break anyway. I threw the pole in the lake and never bothered with it again. I can far more easily, and quickly, dive in and use a weapon. It's a shame really, because I'd much rather use a pole and stay dry, but the protein you actually get when you finally get a fish doesn't justify the time it takes. At least until you get your butcher skill up (which has nothing to do with fishing IMO).

Is there a way to tweak the settings for this?

There is not a way to tweak the setting, and I don't think it would be a very simple setting to add. As for your comment about the butchering skill, it has everything to do with fishing, because once you catch a fish, you have to clean (butcher) it in order to eat it. Cleaning a fish is not a very easy task, and it is fairly easy to cut into the gut, or leave a bunch of the meat behind.