Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AllenWL

How do you catch a fish?

30 posts in this topic

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that the limit only applies to fishing with the rod, and that the actual fish entities that naturally spawn in lakes are just like squid and will spawn and despawn whenever they feel like it.

Thanks God! Because I live on a very short stretch of land between the ocean and a large lake, and I just practiced my butchering skill on squids and a few fish ;)

i understand the butcher skill as far as cleaning a fish, but that shouldn't mean you can't catch a big fish.. it makes sense to skip the cleaning step with large animals as there's not really any mechanics built-in to make that believable. but you could most certainly catch a raw fish and carry it in your inventory. the reason i mentioned this is that the 'butcher' in your team in a multiplayer game wouldn't have to be a fisherman if someone could catch raw fish and bring them back to be cleaned. that would certainly be more believable to me than fighting to land a 0.3oz fish for hours.

if you want to make fishing less exploitable without nerfing it so much, you could also consider adding bait. for example digging for worms in grass-covered dirt or something. by controlling the spawn rates of bait you could control the amount of fishing being done without taking away from the experience itself.

There is not a way to tweak the setting, and I don't think it would be a very simple setting to add. As for your comment about the butchering skill, it has everything to do with fishing, because once you catch a fish, you have to clean (butcher) it in order to eat it. Cleaning a fish is not a very easy task, and it is fairly easy to cut into the gut, or leave a bunch of the meat behind.

Hmm, I personally find cleaning fish to be easy, frankly, just chop off the head, slit the stomach, then yank out the guts. Never had to throw away anything but the head and gut. But then again, I never tried filleting the fish. Not that the minecraft fish looks cleaned. Or filleted.

But anyways, won't it be possible to catch bigger fish? Like, the amount of fish I get seems to be the same all throughout until my butchery increases, netting me only 1oz of fish, then only 4oz. then only 8oz, etc, but shouldn't it be like I catch a small fish, so I get 1 oz, but with the same butchery skill, I manage to catch a big fish, so I get myself a 10oz worth of meat, and stuff like that. 

Anchovies. That's all I have to say. At low level butchery we must use hooks you have to get a magnifying glass out for. That is my only explanation for the initial catch weights.

Anchovies. That's all I have to say. At low level butchery we must use hooks you have to get a magnifying glass out for. That is my only explanation for the initial catch weights.

Must I seriously explain this again in this thread? The weight is not the weight of the fish you caught, it is the weight of edible meat that you were able to get off of the fish.