Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
muffledsheep08

Starvation Death Config

11 posts in this topic

Excuse the title (I couldn't think of anything creative).

A small suggestion for the next bug fix (if there is one), is to implement a statement into the config. The statement would allow the player to die from thirst/ hunger, if set to true. This would make the game more 'believable', whilst not affecting the gameplay.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

So much yes. It should be in game at least as an option.

I've heard "is that too hard for you" and such here oh so many times. And then there comes _noted_ change to arbitrarily _not_ die of thirst and hunger. I... sense a contradiction with common sense and hence

support this topic's suggestion to make that at least an option if sensible death from hunger is too hardcore in the eyes of devs.  ;)

I like that "starvation" now incurs a severe penalty to nutrition, rather than instant death. It allows players to temporarily go without food but still be penalized. Given that the data for the "hunger bar" in TFC is literally called "StomachLevel" in the TFC code, it's entirely reasonable that the player should be able to survive a little while on an empty stomach.

What I dislike is that malnutrition only reduces max HP. It leaves you very vulnerable, sure, but you can now feasibly AFK in a safe house until your crops grow. Perhaps in future versions malnutrition will cause more severe effects. I'd like to see things like Mining Fatigue at low levels of nutrition, and death after reaching a state of zero nutrition in all categories.

In the meantime, however, adding a config option to restore the old starvation behavior shouldn't be difficult for the TFC devs. The starvation damage code is merely commented out.

Or kill player if all nutrition levels reaches 0. This way you'll not die from starvation in a few days, if your body has enough resources to survive, but you'll die if you don't find any food before your internal resources depletes.

I would +1 the option to starve to death, albeit at a slower rate than 50% as in b78 :)

It's an interesting point.

I think food needs a bit of fixing first, sandwiches appear to have some issue.

But then I think your HP shouldn't stop going down at 50, but should continue down to 0 if all bars are completely empty.

I wouldnt mind seeing debuff effects like weakness or mineing fatigue if your hunger reaches 0 or even half as a reminder to eat, I find my self accidentaly starving quite often.

But then I think your HP shouldn't stop going down at 50, but should continue down to 0 if all bars are completely empty.

This as well, we live in a harsh world.

I would +1 the option to starve to death, albeit at a slower rate than 50% as in b78 :)

50% was a bug, it should have been 5%. It was actually fixed internally for a while now but was replaced with the new mechanics before it was ever released :P

The current nutrition system needs a lot of tweaking right now as it is. After extensive testing, I have confirmed that sandwiches are essentially negative nutrition. Once we get that mechanic working how we actually want it to, then we will look into suggestions like this.

Heh, I didn't even know about this. I've always had more than enough food and water prior to build 79(haven't played long enough yet).