Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Torch Poll

Torch Extinguishing   291 members have voted

1. 1. After playing with the new torch mechanic, what is your opinion?

• I like the mechanic, and I even changed the config files to make it harder.
    • I like the mechanic, and am using the default config values.
    • I like the mechanic, but changed the config files to make it a bit easier.
    • I dislike the mechanic, and am using the default config values.
    • I dislike the mechanic, and changed the config files to turn it off completely.
    • I turned the mechanic off in the config files without even trying it first.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

114 posts in this topic

Now that 79 has been released for a little bit, we want your opinions on the new torch extinguishing mechanic. I am keeping this topic separate from the old Torch Discussion topic mainly because the majority of responses to that topic were posted before 79 released, and were opinions based off of speculation of how members assumed the mechanic would work.

An unfortunate phenomenon in forums is that many times the only people who voice their opinions are those who dislike what is going on. The "vocal minority" if you will. You do not need to post your opinion in this thread if you do not wish too, but I please ask that you at least vote in the poll, and hopefully pass this thread on to anyone else you know who is playing TFC so they might vote as well.

Edit: A few key points that some people are missing -

• Torches in your inventory do not burn out.
  • A torch in your inventory can be used to relight burned out torches in the world.
  • Lighting an area up is not the only way to prevent mobs from spawning in TFC. Increasing spawn protection by lingering in an area will prevent mobs from spawning even when the area is completely dark. If you feel like the protection is taking too long to accumulate, or is depleting too quickly, you can change how it behaves in the config files.
  • You can right click on torches with sticks to rapidly make torches. Only trade off is that you get 1 torch per stick instead of 2 torches in the firepit.
  • Jack-O-Lanterns do not burn out.
  • We understand that you want lamps, but that is not what this topic is about.
  • We expect you to play TFC with other mods. Dynamic Lights and the Lanterns Addon are two that go really well with this mechanic.
  • If you don't like it, turn it off in the config. We are not changing the default config value to having it turned off.

i think it is a great mechanic and always thought it was weird that "torches" which use very minimal resources were a permanent light source

I think there should be a random chance for the torch to turn into a burnt-out stump that doesn't relight anymore for additional believability.  

I like the mechanic a lot, but 2 days is a bit short I think. They should have a random value between 3 and 5 days

I like the mechanic a lot, but 2 days is a bit short I think. They should have a random value between 3 and 5 days

Yea, or there needs to be another light source that burns longer. If we had that, I'd shoot that the torch lasting a single day is even better.

I never made torch forests anyways because I thought they looked bad. Now I just pick every pumpkin I see and hide them with chiseled blocks for my indoor and path lighting. Play style has not changed, just a nuisance to deal with. I maintain my position that this will only be a truly beneficial mechanic if long lasting oil lanterns are added in the next build.

I would say that it makes sense, but some people will really not like it; leave an option in the configs to turn it off.

I would say that it makes sense, but some people will really not like it; leave an option in the configs to turn it off.

There already is an option in the config, and we're not planning to remove it.

I use the default and apart from mine mines disappearing on my map (i like that they lit up in the dark) I don't miss it. I like that they can be re-lit, and was actually surprised when it didn't consume another torch! 

So to highlight my mines I use a candle stuffed into a pumpkin, which oddly lasts forever? Maybe these long lasting lanterns people are talking about are pumpkins!

the mechanic is fine but without being able to work towards a better light source is just tedium to the point that the only reason to really make torches is for jack-o-lanterns or somewhere you don't really plan on going back to, PUMPKINS R MY NEW BEST FRIEND. just nice to have base area lit up. not a forest!

the mechanic is fine but without being able to work towards a better light source is just tedium to the point that the only reason to really make torches is for jack-o-lanterns or somewhere you don't really plan on going back to, PUMPKINS R MY NEW BEST FRIEND. just nice to have base area lit up. not a forest!

Hello, I am new here, but I wanted to state my thoughts.  I am all for the addition of hardcore modifications to minecraft, and in theory this is a great idea.  But in practice this change enters the realm of tedium that I don't enjoy.  After clocking in a few hours, I've already found this pretty annoying.  

I rarely placed torches to keep away monsters in the first place, as this is what fencing and walls are for.  I place them for lighting as aesthetics and practicality  Buildings at night can be beautiful with proper hidden lighting.  Its also critical for roads leading to neighboring towns.   No reason to make roads anymore if there's no lights to guide people at night..  Also no reason to even place torches anymore, just sit in the house and wait for the day, or if you like to make use of the bed mechanic, then use that.  I personally don't like to do so.

I would have rather the idea of making torches much harder to create then to limit their durability.

Thanks for creating the poll :)

I found it kind of really difficult to do caving, which makes it even more fun. I am not one to change config files but it the option to use a fire starter on a torch was possible that would be really awesome.

I found it kind of really difficult to do caving, which makes it even more fun. I am not one to change config files but it the option to use a fire starter on a torch was possible that would be really awesome.

You can already use a torch in your inventory (which never burns out) on a burned-out torch in the world to relight it.

how do you turn it off in the config files and where are the config files

how do you turn it off in the config files and where are the config files

Your config files are in the config folder, which is directly next to the mods folder where you put TFC to install it. Inside the config folder is a file called TFCOptions.cfg that you can open with any text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++. Once you open the config file, you will find a section that says

# This is how many in-game hours torches will last before burning out. Set to 0 for infinitely burning torches.    I:torchBurnTime=48

To turn off torches extinguishing, change 48 to 0, and save the file.

I do really like this feature, but for now I increased the time it takes for them to burn out to be a bit longer.... I think I will really be able to appreciate this feature more when lanterns (or some other longer burning light source) is added.

I could use lit pumpkins, but that feels kind of cheaty.

I do really like this feature, but for now I increased the time it takes for them to burn out to be a bit longer.... I think I will really be able to appreciate this feature more when lanterns (or some other longer burning light source) is added.

I could use lit pumpkins, but that feels kind of cheaty.

Ditto. If the poll showed an option about lanterns that don't go out, i think most people would choose that option.

That option is completely irrelevant to what the poll is asking about. The poll is asking explicitly about the torch mechanic right now in 79. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you hope gets added in future builds. Do you like it right now, completely as-is? Yes or No. That is the point of the poll.

Personally (and I feel that there are others that share this opinion) I don't feel that yes/no works as an complete answer. If lanterns will be added then I love the burn-out. If lanterns won't be added I think it's just a rude way to force players to abandon certain play styles, and that it doesn't make the game better, just more inconvenient. Frankly I don't understand why an open sandbox game is trying to make everyone play it the same way but that's a broader topic for another thread.

So if you just want a straight answer then no, I don't like it as is, but I would flip 180 and say yes please burn out all my torches as soon an lanterns are a thing.

I do like realism (or believability) in games, but I still have mixed feelings about that feature...

In a vast world like generated by TFC and without really memorable landmarks, a very important use for torches for me as one who likes exploring far distances, is orientation and navigation, e.g. to tell where I have been before, or if I'm on my right path home, especially in the evening.

And I admit that I still like to use torches to prevent monster spawning too - not in form of these ominous "torch forests". But for me, fighting a legion of monsters the first time I enter a new cave is enough; if I want to fight, I go find me another cave. I'd really hate for creepers to destroy the beautiful cave landscapes TFC creates.

Lastly, I like to have my little home area lit up also for aesthetic reasons - you can't deny the beauty of a lit up house with courtyard and garden viewed from the top of a nearby mountain at night :)

I have not yet, but am considering to turn the feature off ...

Good day, I must say, this feature is great, now I have a reason to actually make torches.

It makes the game look much better, and makes a lot of sense, 
Many thanks :)

I would say that overall the mechanic is good, but without another more permanent (non bright orange) light source this becomes quite cumbersome.

On more of a technical side to it i'm worried about lighting updates from multiple torches going out at the same time. If your caving (probably worse with a large group) and dropping torches like a champ then they all start going out could that cause some issues since MC's lighting engine isn't all that great?

Good day, I must say, this feature is great, now I have a reason to actually make torches.

It makes the game look much better, and makes a lot of sense,

Many thanks :)

Is that pure sarcasm? I don't really get it ...

I like it, it absolutely makes the game harder, but more realis... I mean Believable!

(same is true for having to drink water)

but we need some additional more permanent (harder to craft) light source.